Chevron Delo XLE 10W30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP listed a new and slightly older lab tests for this oil showing a large difference in ZDDP....Generally speaking, when ZDDP is lowered , are other wear additives used than may not show up in typical lab tests? Or if you think a high level of ZDDP is needed, look elsewhere?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Anyone have a clue how the Chevron Delo 400 5W-30 XSP
Would compare to this oil ?
Chevron PDS has some info but not everything
Thanks

Well in general, the 5W-30 (XSP) synthetic will be better for extreme cold weather starting and fuel economy (had to state the obvious).
smile.gif
I think Chevron claims XLE can provide up to 1% better economy compared to 15W-40 and XSP can improve FE by up to 2% over 15W-40.

They both have the latest (North American) HD diesel approvals and are CK-4/SN Plus. The odd thing is that the synthetic doesn't have the latest Renault spec (RLD-4), but XLE does. I don't know anything about that spec.
The synthetic XSP has the toughest Deutz spec (DQC IV-10LA), XLE is one notch below that (DQC III-10LA).

Both oils are capable of very long OCIs, but it comes down to cold weather needs and pricing, I guess.

Originally Posted by Truckedup
The OP listed a new and slightly older lab tests for this oil showing a large difference in ZDDP....Generally speaking, when ZDDP is lowered , are other wear additives used than may not show up in typical lab tests? Or if you think a high level of ZDDP is needed, look elsewhere?

BITOG member Dak27 has mentioned calling Chevron about that, and they told him that they do use ashless anti-wear additives that allow the decreased amounts of ZDDP. That's in addition to the ashless detergents, dispersants and antioxidants.

However, if I had a high performance, old school engine, I'd opt for an oil made specifically for such.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Anyone have a clue how the Chevron Delo 400 5W-30 XSP
Would compare to this oil ?
Chevron PDS has some info but not everything
Thanks

Well in general, the 5W-30 (XSP) synthetic will be better for extreme cold weather starting and fuel economy (had to state the obvious).
smile.gif
I think Chevron claims XLE can provide up to 1% better economy compared to 15W-40 and XSP can improve FE by up to 2% over 15W-40.

They both have the latest (North American) HD diesel approvals and are CK-4/SN Plus. The odd thing is that the synthetic doesn't have the latest Renault spec (RLD-4), but XLE does. I don't know anything about that spec.
The synthetic XSP has the toughest Deutz spec (DQC IV-10LA), XLE is one notch below that (DQC III-10LA).

Both oils are capable of very long OCIs, but it comes down to cold weather needs and pricing, I guess.

Thank you for the info
I'm doing an OC in a couple of days, switching out QSUD
5W-30 to the Delo XSP 5W-30 almost went with the 5W-40 but thought not right now.

I'm jealous! My Coyote has taken a liking to Castrol Edge, with good wear and minimal consumption. However, Edge does oxidize and thicken with slightly extended use. I know the regular Edge is not an extended drain oil, but I'm wondering how a modern HDEO like Delo XLE or XSP would handle a long drain in my pickup truck. I may have to donate my Edge to another vehicle and try XSP.
grin.gif

PS- if you were asking more about the difference between XLE and XSP in regards to the additive packages, I can only speculate; but I'd bet a cup of coffee that they look very similar in basic VOA testing.

I'm jealous! My Coyote has taken a liking to Castrol Edge, with good wear and minimal consumption. However, Edge does oxidize and thicken with slightly extended use. I know the regular Edge is not an extended drain oil, but I'm wondering how a modern HDEO like Delo XLE or XSP would handle a long drain in my pickup truck. I may have to donate my Edge to another vehicle and try XSP.
grin.gif

PS- if you were asking more about the difference between XLE and XSP in regards to the additive packages, I can only speculate; but I'd bet a cup of coffee that they look very similar in basic VOA testing.

I have a black stone kit for a VOA
This will be first run for the XSP so a good baseline I feel is a must. Other wise it's hard know obviously
Engine is Ford 6.2L

BITOG member Dak27 has mentioned calling Chevron about that, and they told him that they do use ashless anti-wear additives that allow the decreased amounts of ZDDP. That's in addition to the ashless detergents, dispersants and antioxidants.

However, if I had a high performance, old school engine, I'd opt for an oil made specifically for such.

All varieties of the XLE series, including the 15w-40, appear to be E6, requiring the reduced phosphorus. I was surprised to see an E6 15w-40. The 5w-30 isn't a surprise, since most majors have a 5w-30 E6, and Chevron has had one for a lot of years already.

With respect to the comments about drain intervals and TBN, the TBN matter was already addressed with the methodology, and E6, E7, E9 types can generally do quite extended drains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back