Abnormal Wear on Tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In January 2019, I bought 4 new BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport Tires for my 2011 DTS. They have been pretty good so far.

I have put about ~6000 Miles on them. However, I am starting to notice this kind of peeling by the edges. These are only on the front tires. The rears look fine.

When the tires were installed, I had a full alignment done. I keep the tire pressure at factory specs. 30 PSI Cold and they get to 33-34 PSI when hot.

Also, The tires were made in November 2018. So they were a pretty fresh batch.

Is this a defect of the tire rubber, or is the front weight of my car just wearing the tires quicker? I will have them rotated soon.

[Linked Image]

1) Time to rotate
2) Air up to 35psi cold.

Did you really need an alignment? An alignment isn't necessary if your car isn't pulling in one direction or another, there is no irregular tire wear, hit something or there has been no replacement of suspension components. I haven't had an alignment done on any of the past 7 vehicles we have owned.

Last edited:
That's the result of cornering. The outer edges of the tread traverse a different distance that than the inner portions, so some part of the tread has to slip.

This can be aggravated by excessive toe (Check the print out of the alignment if you got one.), or excessive cornering speed, or aggressive pavement (or gravel roads), or just a poor akerman in the steering geometry design.

Lots of mineral powdered filler in the rubber now. Looks like its chunking out a bit. May be a formulation issue.

I would insure the total toe is near Zero IN. - less than 10 minutes total IN

The only new tires Id had fail were T/A's on a Subaru outback sport in the mid 90's.

The tires were aired to ABOVE max inflation at the port - IIIRC 50 on a 37 max - and the inner side wall were all splitting open.

Dealer wouldn't do anything even though it was Subaru Fault.

Tsk Tsk A Michelin product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back