time based timing belt change question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, it is a 2009 Duratorq TDCi engine 2.5 liter displacement in-line4, RWD sold in Asia, Europe and South Africa. I'm going to get the timing belt and ATF (Mercon V) + transmission filter changed this weekend. I'm also considering blocking off the EGR but heard that this may increase fuel consumption mileage especially while at idle or even trigger a CEL, unless the engine computer is reprogrammed.

Last edited:
Got the timing belt, tensioner, idler bearing, and the 2 camshaft oil seals changed (exhaust cam seal was already starting to weep). Also the ATF via pan drop. Changed the ATF filter too. Some mud and metal specks were on the pan magnet.There was less than 3 quarts (of the total ATF capacity of 10.5 quarts) in the pan so I opted for a flush. Disconnected the return line from the ATF cooler and spliced in the "dialysis machine" hoses. The machine was nothing but a system of petcocks that allowed the old ATF to drain out and new ATF to get sucked into the return inlet line. There's no external pump to force the fluids in and out. The only pump that was in action was the car's own transmission. Also had 2 clear glass or plexiglass tubes for viewing the color of the old ATF flowing out (very dark red, almost brown) and the new ATF going in. Used 16 quarts of new ATF (Mag1 MultiVehicle Fully Synthetic) poured into the machine's reservoir to complete the process. Stopped when the old ATF color draining our was almost like that of the new.

Reconnected the ATF lines, restarted the engine and checked the ATF level by removing the big screw at the base of the chimney that poked into the inside of the ATF pan. If no ATF flowed out, that meant not enough ATF in the system. ATF spurted out some, and a few seconds later replaced the screw once very little ATF was coming out. Job completed.

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by berniedd
10 year old Ford truck, guys. Manual says change timing belt at 80,000 miles but makes no mention of time allowed. I am nowhere near 80,000 miles and I'm getting uncomfortable with the engine now at 10-year old mark. How much longer can I stretch it? I drive normally, no towing done.

You bring up an excellent point, about how a timing belt change is supposed to be done whether it is needed to or not, preventative maintenance. Because even if you have an interference engine, which most engines are and a small and select few are not. If it snaps on you, the interference engine has a strong chance of being done for, best case scenario a valve job which means head off. The non-interference engine may not be damaged, but still will not run home.

I remember the interval being something like 10 years or 100,000-110,000 miles, or if not previously known when it was changed. This always meant to me that you buy a used car, if the previous owner changed it yesterday and did not document it, you should change it again to be sure. Because maybe it is the original timing belt that came with the car. Same with spark plugs, do you know when they were last changed? Without records, all you have is a visual inspection and same with battery, is it the OEM style battery? This is your only clue.

Do you feel like your belt may be in a position where its condition is starting to deteriorate? You do not seem to be too hard on your Ford truck, this probably how most people use their vehicles, though severe service can constitute if you have to stop at a few lights or stop signs on the way to wherever you are going. The more lights you stop at, the more severe. The timing belt stays in its own sealed compartment on the side or front of the engine, depending, and you have a belt not a chain, okay.. I would agree that age can be a factor in if they snap on you.

You got a 5.4 Windsor? a 4.6? A V-10? 10 years old, so it cannot be a 4.9 I-6.. ? 3 Valve?

Spark plugs never much worried me , like a timing belt would .

Our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l has a timing belt . Think the owner's manual indicated 97,500 miles to replacement . If I am still able to DIY it , I may change it a little before that . The water pump is not behind the timing cover , it is changeable w/o opening the timing cover . So I will probably leave it alone , if it it in not leaking .

Does anyone know if that engine is an interference engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back