Painting Garage Floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to paint my garage floor 2-1/2 car garage. It was repainted many years ago( we moved in 1993 and previous owner painted it.) It is currently light grey. Thereare some areas mainly in the tire tracks where that the paint has peeled off. I am not sure what to use. Not sure if epoxy will adhere to the painted areas. I dont want to spend for epoxy paint and have it come up. Do they still make oil based paint anywhere? Any ideas

Whatever you do, buy your paint at an actual paint store, not a box store. PPG makes real industrial coatings for the U.S. subs, airplanes...
The only concern is if the paint will work with temperature extremes. I'd power wash it first.

http://www.ppghighperformancecoatings.com/Products/By-Brand/MegaSealâ„¢/MegaSealâ„¢-High-Performance-Urethane.aspx

If the existing coating is peeling off, then you'll want to remove as much as possible. If you don't then it will only continue to fail.

You don't need the paint store industrial coatings-I've had the 2 component epoxy on all 5 bays of my garage floor for several years now and it wears like iron. Surface prep is the key-done right and it works great. Done incorrectly and no product will perform well.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
If the existing coating is peeling off, then you'll want to remove as much as possible. If you don't then it will only continue to fail.

You don't need the paint store industrial coatings-I've had the 2 component epoxy on all 5 bays of my garage floor for several years now and it wears like iron. Surface prep is the key-done right and it works great. Done incorrectly and no product will perform well.

The current floor is NOT peeling , do you recall brand you used

You're going to need an expert or two to really tell you what is possible. I had my floors epoxied as soon as I moved into my house. This is who I used and they are very friendly and chatty. They will tell you what's possible:
https://www.strongholdfloors.com/

GarageJournal is another good forum for flooring recos.

Last edited:
Unless you do it before you move in, how do people clear the garage floor? Out on driveway under tarp? Stuff on one half, do other half, then swap? If you only do half, does seam show?

I did mine few months ago with the rustoleum epoxy kit, it is water based, even though it's a two part product.
It only comes with a citric acid etch, so I would imagine it being way too weak for old and soiled garage floors.
My concrete slab was brand new and I still washed it twice with a heavy duty degreaser before I etched.

From my understanding, for any epoxy to adhere properly and for a long time, it pretty much needs a bare concrete that is very well cleaned and degreased.

I would never paint a shop floor. I don't care what anyone says.....it will not hold up period!
Try welding over a painted floor. Try rolling a 4000 lb lathe on rigging rollers. Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, brake fluid. Jack stands. Leave it bare!

Everything on wheels.

Then hire a professional.

http://www.perkinscustomcoatings.com/spartaflex/about-polyaspartics.php

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

982.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back