Checked out a 2019 Ford Ranger, Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by geeman789
And THAT is why they stopped making them in the first place ...

They stopped making them because they couldn't meet the fmss for roof crush...

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Originally Posted by Cujet
Of "some" interest. The Ecoboost engine from the Ranger is now available for marine use. They require 15W-50 oil......

I bet if you started a thread on this in the PCMO forum, you would still get people advising to try a 5w-30 anyway.

The "thick vs. thin" has only been a discussion once in the Marine industry, and the company that pushed the envelope paid dearly for their mistake.

Naw. Completely different operating environment. Apples to oranges.

Originally Posted by double vanos
I posed the question Ranger vs F150 to this site and the collective answer was go big. I did and haven't regretted it. 3.5 with 3:55s, she's a rocket.
[Linked Image]

Now that's how to buy a truck!
Just got one for my BIL.
XLT Double cab, 6.5 foot bed, 3.5 EcoBoost, 10 speed trans, 4wd. Under $42K out the door in CA!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Of "some" interest. The Ecoboost engine from the Ranger is now available for marine use. They require 15W-50 oil......

I bet if you started a thread on this in the PCMO forum, you would still get people advising to try a 5w-30 anyway.

The "thick vs. thin" has only been a discussion once in the Marine industry, and the company that pushed the envelope paid dearly for their mistake.

Clearly, towing your 24 foot, 7000 pound, ecoboost powered boat with the Ranger's turbocharged 2.3L 4 cylinder is going to load it heavily. I fail to see any significant difference.

Last edited:
These compact mid sized trucks are worth about 25 or 26K to me, tops, in two wheel drive extended cab (not four door) trim. Anything more and you're getting within range of a 2WD ext cab full size truck. Local Ford dealer has a new 2019 ext cab F150 XL *4WD* w/ 6 & 1/2' bed and 2.7 ecoboost for $32K advertised price. How does our GMC dealer think I am going to go for $29K their stated bottom dollar price on a GMC canyon 2WD ext cab 6' bed when that F150 is literally at the next dealership a few blocks away? It's almost laughable.

Clearly, towing your 24 foot, 7000 pound, ecoboost powered boat with the Ranger's turbocharged 2.3L 4 cylinder is going to load it heavily. I fail to see any significant difference.

Well for starters Marine engines essentially only operate at full power with only one gear.

Last edited:

I'm not saying a road vehicle should use 15w50. I'm saying that "thin" oil has a performance envelope. In this case, road duty is well within the envelope and marine duty is not.

The Ranger was a "minitruck" and priced as such,along with all the Japanese minitrucks,S10s,etc. seems to me they're trying to just use the Ranger name on an overpriced vehicle. Out of curiosity,whatever happened to the minitruck craze? I always really liked them. Economical,fun,dependable,and indestructible.

The decline of the single cab was the death of the mini truck. Once people started wanting the crew cab, the bed became tiny and useless.

Then they moved into the only crew cab trucks with a useful bed: Full sized

The rest gave them up for CUVs.

This death occurred while they were still cheap and able to get good fuel economy. Both of those advantages are now gone.

Minitrucks used to be priced within the range of economy cars. What happened to that?

Can't wait to see what ford does with the new Ranger platform supposedly coming in 2022

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The Ranger was a "minitruck" and priced as such,along with all the Japanese minitrucks,S10s,etc. seems to me they're trying to just use the Ranger name on an overpriced vehicle. Out of curiosity,whatever happened to the minitruck craze? I always really liked them. Economical,fun,dependable,and indestructible.

Straight out of college I bought an Isuzu P'up 4WD for like $9500 if I remember right. They had a special no money down financing for new college grads, which I did and was upside down on it a long time. It was fun but not up to snuff to compare to the almighty Toyota 4WD's (sr5's) that were all the rage then (~ 1987). Still, it was all I could afford, was my very first Brand New Car, and I loved it.

I remember a friend of mine had a brand new Ranger when we were in high school,maybe a 1986 model? Manual windows,standard transmission,and 4cyl engine. It seemed pretty quick!

I've had 3 Rangers. A 1990 regular cab with the 4.0 automatic with the long box, a 1999 regular cab with the 3.0 V-6 and 5 speed manual transmission, and a 2000 extended cab 4x4 with the 3.0 and automatic transmission. They were pretty reliable little trucks. The 3.0 with the 5 speed was probably the most fun to drive. I imagine the new Ecoboost scoots. I'm glad Ford brought the Ranger back and in time I think it will pay off for them.

Too small ? Although the most popular ute in NZ, we find them a bit big...the Mitsubishi Triton is a more user friendly size. We have a Mazda Bounty for our workshop ute, same as a Ranger but uglier.

The decline of the single cab was the death of the mini truck. Once people started wanting the crew cab, the bed became tiny and useless.

Then they moved into the only crew cab trucks with a useful bed: Full sized

The rest gave them up for CUVs.

This death occurred while they were still cheap and able to get good fuel economy. Both of those advantages are now gone.

Minitrucks used to be priced within the range of economy cars. What happened to that?

My two cents: The body/passenger compartment is relatively small fraction of the cost to build. Manufacturers just can go any cheaper.

I don't think it is that so much as they are used to getting a certain profit margin on trucks. If they priced them down with economy cars (tight margin), they would get economy car profit.

If you think the Ranger is bad, try pricing a Gladiator. I saw one at Costco. Sticker was $52k. Once can buy a lot of 'full-sized" truck for $52k. Both the Ranger and Gladiator were "highly-anticipated", but I see very few on the road.

Originally Posted by kkreit01
If you think the Ranger is bad, try pricing a Gladiator. I saw one at Costco. Sticker was $52k. Once can buy a lot of 'full-sized" truck for $52k. Both the Ranger and Gladiator were "highly-anticipated", but I see very few on the road.

Gladiator started to trickle in only two months ago and same with Ranger. The average sale of Gladiator is $56k!!!!! Fiat is making massive coin despite sales volume.

I have to say no pickup has ever had me interested even performance models. The Gladiator is the appealing "truck" besides the Land Cruiser ones sold abroad to me. Ranger will sell like Colorado does.

The while point of the Ranger in the US market is to attract people who don't want an expensive F-150 to the dealership and then sell them an F-150 for a few dollars more.

Outside the US it's a proper pickup truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back