Honda 15400-PLM-A02 filter after 1700 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Honda CR-V oil change by dealer Dec 2018. 6 months in and 1700 miles later...oil changed due to possible fuel dilution issue. Nothing unusual noticed in the reveal sans the one piece of "grit" in bottom of can. Base plate and o ring, ADV, and bypass valve in good shape. Filter medium...meh.

First cut for me on a Honda OEM filter. Seems to be run-of-the-mill mid-tier filter. Adequate for the job at hand.

IMG_20190614_160959.jpg

IMG_20190614_161624.jpg

IMG_20190614_162833.jpg

IMG_20190614_162848.jpg

IMG_20190614_162900.jpg

IMG_20190614_162905.jpg

IMG_20190614_162913.jpg

Same as a Fram PH7317 in construction, but with worse efficiency. I'd run a Fram over this for nearly 2x the efficiency all day. Fram PH7317 95% at 20um Honda is 50% at 20um. Step up to the XG7317 and it's 99%+ TG7317 is 99%.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Same as a Fram PH7317 in construction, but with worse efficiency. I'd run a Fram over this for nearly 2x the efficiency all day. Fram PH7317 95% at 20um Honda is 50% at 20um. Step up to the XG7317 and it's 99%+ TG7317 is 99%.

I'm not sure it really matters ...

I had a Honda Odyssey that went 9 years / 150 k miles on those " rock catcher ... " OE Honda filters. Engine still ran like new. The rest of the van, not so much ...

Actually changing your oil and filter, on time, is 99 % of the battle.

FlyNavyP3

Actually replaced with Bosch premium 3323 which has great filtration specs as well...with the added bonus of a sale by Amazon for the filter = $3.83.

Looks great bro! I'm sure Honda knows what they are doing with their specd out filters. They have some of the longest lasting engines out there! ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Same as a Fram PH7317 in construction, but with worse efficiency. ...

That is not entirely true.

It is most similar to a tough guard. It has more pleats/media than a PH and one more than a TG but it is taken up by the metal seam clamp which neither the TG or PH have.

If I may also jump on this thread, since I want to ask about oil filter for newer Hondas .

Been doing a lot of research in the past week. Was settled on using Purolator One as it fits what I would desire in an oil filter. However, as I understand it, Purolator/Bosch have history of torn media. Which brings me back to either using OEM Honda A02 or Mobil1 110A.

I do not know of any other good oil filter that I would like to try.

And no I do not want to try Fram Ultra, have read 3 cases of oil pressure problem or noise issue

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maximum6
If I may also jump on this thread, since I want to ask about oil filter for newer Hondas .

Been doing a lot of research in the past week. Was settled on using Purolator One as it fits what I would desire in an oil filter. However, as I understand it, Purolator/Bosch have history of torn media. Which brings me back to either using OEM Honda A02 or Mobil1 110A.

And no I do not want to try Fram Ultra, have read 3 cases of oil pressure problem or noise issue

Wix/Napa Gold? I don't think purolator 1 is having those problems anymore. No or do I believe it was ever even close to being as bad as it was made out to be to begin with. Id use a Purolator 1 but the wix has the thread end bypass I prefer and microgreen if you can find them (I have some stalked up) has the 2 micron wafer that makes it far superior to a typical oil filter and a really thick can.

Pretty hard to believe since the Ultra flows very well. I'd say the "oil pressure issue" wasn't a filter issue but something else going on. Understand how a PD oil pump works. Start up noise was probably a leaky ADBV, which sometimes happens on all brands of filters.

Based on the fact that there was around 100 reported torn filters reported just by members here, I'd say it was pretty prevelant. It wasn't a rare 1 or 2 cases over a couple years, but more like 100 cases reported in less than a year.

Honda specifies a different media than a TG, why is that? Why don't they use the higher efficiency TG media? Honda apparently knows something more about filtration than efficiency numbers.

Fram uses the same adbv on all the series from EG to XG, Honda made sure on their model the seal area for the adbv was nice and wide, making a good seal. All Fram models are not wide like that.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Honda specifies a different media than a TG, why is that? Why don't they use the higher efficiency TG media? Honda apparently knows something more about filtration than efficiency numbers.

A/B oil and filter change schedule, and fact their OLM could go over 10k miles per OCI.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

A/B oil and filter change schedule, and fact their OLM could go over 10k miles per OCI.

Link to their statement? By your logic, Honda does not recommend using the TG. It's got to be another reason.

Honda says change the filter every 2nd oil change. The lower efficiency seems to be protection against the worst case scenario of actually completely clogging the filter media, and forcing it to by-pass too frequently.

I have used all of these (pure 1, Honda OEM, M1, Fram Ultra) as well as Wix and STP XL, on my Odyssey with no problems. My only complaint was the weak can on the P1 - not easy to get it tight without crushing the can, even by hand. I like the Wix and STP best because they have strong cans and were bundled with oil for a good price at O'Reilly and Autozone, respectively.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789

Honda says change the filter every 2nd oil change. The lower efficiency seems to be protection against the worst case scenario of actually completely clogging the filter media, and forcing it to by-pass too frequently.

Exactly ... Honda is being safe. The Fram TG is rated to 10K miles, so per Honda it could theoretically be used well over 10K miles if following Honda's A/B oil and filter change schedule. Using the Ultra since it's rated to 20K miles would fit Honda's A/B maintenance schedule better.

Zee has a good point ...

If the formal Honda FCI is 2x the OCI, and Fram has a warranty that assures as long as you use their product according to the OEM schedule, then the TG would be good for 2x the FCI. In fact, that would be true even of the Fram EG. If Honda states the FCI is 2x the OCI, then it's good for what it's limit is, despite all the heresy.

Our old 2.4L Galant had the FCI at 2x the OCI, and the "normal" OCI was 7.5k miles. So in theory any filter was good for 15k miles in that application; that would have been true for a Purolator, Wix, etc. also. Most filter makers limit their product to the OEM FCI. Pay no heed to the marketing manure on the box or printed ad. READ THE FILTER WRITTEN WARRANTY STATEMENT; that is what they are accountable for.

We must also give a nod to the calendar, per the OEMs. Often we'll see the "or 6 months" or the "or one year" statements in there as well. We all are smart enough to know that's a silly limit, but they have to put it somewhere, or some darn fool would leave a filter on for 17 years and then sue them when it failed.

There are some OEMs (Honda, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, others) that routinely show the FCI at 2x the OCI. And yet those vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles) soldier on for very long time. While some would say that's anecdotal evidence, it's hard to ignore hundreds of thousands of vehicles going millions and millions of miles without major failures from this FCI approach.

Last edited:
It's commonly known here capacity can be separate from efficiency. Honda would look at grams or such measure of capacity rather than the cloudy 10000 mile claims on a consumer box. My guess is they select media from offerings, and choose media to use based on porosity, Frazier number?, fiber strength, fiber makeup, their own efficiency tests, and more. Or maybe Fram keeps the media on it's own filters unique and doesn't sell it to others.
49.gif

Originally Posted by dnewton3
If the formal Honda FCI is 2x the OCI, and Fram has a warranty that assures as long as you use their product according to the OEM schedule, then the TG would be good for 2x the FCI. In fact, that would be true even of the Fram EG. If Honda states the FCI is 2x the OCI, then it's good for what it's limit is, despite all the heresy.

Truth.

If the recommended OFCI was 2X the OCI, then the manual would have to "specify" that the schedule is ONLY to be followed when using Honda part number oil filters,

or "Change oil filter every at oil change when using a non-Honda oil filter".... which it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back