5W20 Pennzoil Platinum vs. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that oil anecdotes are a dime a dozen... "runs smoother" after switching oils is a laughable cliche, and rightly so.

But I swear on anything that there is a real, true, noticeable, auditory difference between 5W20 Pennzoil Platinum and 5W20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my 2016 Wrangler. For the ~5000 miles that my 3.L6 Pentastar had 5W20 Pennzoil Platinum in it I'd hear the lifters clatter for a few seconds at start up. After going to 5W20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum the noise disappeared immediately.

I there that much of a difference between the oils? What could it be that eliminated the lifter clatter?

Originally Posted by Brojo
Same filter?

OEM both times. I know MOPAR updates their p/n with versions changes, so it's possible the latest is a newer style.

How long has the Ultra been in it? If it's still relatively new, the quiet-down may subside over the next 100 miles or so and leave it sounding like it did before.

Brand new oil always seemed to calm the noises coming from my Mopar engines in previous LXs, but it never lasted the full OCI that I recall.

Having said that, I'm experiencing a really nice valve-train quiet-down myself in The Bacon Hauler's Hemi that has been remarkably constant so far. I'm waiting for it to wear off, but I have no previous experience with this particular oil (Mobil 1 HM 10w-30) in this engine (5.7L), so I can't really be certain it will eventually get noisy again...just have to wait and see, and hope it won't return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back