Who goes to beaches for vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Sitting on the sand for hours, 2 feet away from perfect strangers in broiling heat with flies or mosquitos biting every 30 seconds is not the most enjoyable way to spend the day, unless it's a nude beach. And even then, the views are most often not too pretty.

clearly you are not going to the right beaches....

Sitting on the sand for hours, 2 feet away from perfect strangers in broiling heat with flies or mosquitos biting every 30 seconds is not the most enjoyable way to spend the day, unless it's a nude beach. And even then, the views are most often not too pretty.

You should try something other than the beaches of the NE. We've never seen a single mosquito, and our beach is private and not crowded at all.

P1000878.JPG

Originally Posted by Imp4
I prefer places like this...

Is that Montana? Canada? I get antsy at the beach. I live about an hour from a place like this:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I go to Clearwater, Daytona or Siesta Key quite often, especially since they all are around 90minutes from my house
smile.gif

We actually found a little place just south of Siesta Key a few weeks ago called Turtle beach. Didn't have the beautiful white sands but the water was amazing! As blue as Hawaii, warm and clear!

What about Ormond Beach?

VA Beach, OBX, Oak Island, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Tybee Island, Clearwater and South Padre Island, Texas. Also visited some Caribbean beaches as well. Our favorite is Oak Island, NC for two reasons....not crowded and it is only a 4 hour drive....an easy weekend getaway. South Padre was great as well but just too far away.

I have never had an issue with mosquitos on the beaches either.

Grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, so spent a lot of time at Rehoboth Beach, DE. Son lives in Virginia Beach so hit that area a lot now and parents retired originally in Wilmington, NC so spent a lot of time at Wrightsville Beach, but that has been many years ago. Smoky Mountains and Colorado mountains are my favorites to visit now. Don't like Galveston beaches.

Originally Posted by philipp10

Only two on the east coast that I know of.

This is my idea for a vacation. Peace and quiet with outstanding views. Not into so-called "sun destinations" at all.

Originally Posted by philipp10

Only two on the east coast that I know of.

I've only been the nude beach at Sandy Hook at night to go fishing. But I hear the sights are not so good during the day. My wife and I are both "low energy" people. But we can't sit still at the beach. Or even a pool for more than an hour or two. The beach in the evening as the sun goes down is great.

We try to go several times a year, usually day trips and occasional over-nighters. We love the west coast best: Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Silver Lake, Sleeping Bear - just to name a few. Stereotype summer crowds/activities or isolated nature, take your pick.
[Linked Image]

I used to live walking distance from a "beach" (Morro Bay) but now live 45 mins from the beach. I can't remember the last time I hung out at a beach. I like hiking the coastline such as Montana De Oro, San Simeon, or Big Sur but don't hang around the sandy spots.

The beaches here are rocky and cold, not the Bay Watch kind.

I'm too worn out from working to go any place for my vacations. I prefer to stay home for the 2 weeks a year that I'm not working for the man!
Livin the dream!

Originally Posted by JerryBob

Is that Montana? Canada? I get antsy at the beach. I live about an hour from a place like this:

It's the Berner Oberland in Switzerland.
The most beautiful place in the world.

I get antsy at the beach also.
It was great when we had small kids but these days I'm looking for much more active.

In NZ where everywhere is only an hour from the beach, everyone goes to the beach ! I grew up ''at the beach'', I spent 10 years on an island where the beach was everywhere.

Originally Posted by mez
We have beach home on Bald Head Island, NC. Great quiet island with no cars allowed. Check it out!

https://www.vrbo.com/512487

Beautiful home you have there! Seems like we took a ferry over to Bald Head or Smith Island from Southport a few years back and toured the island by golf cart. The Mrs. and I are considering a move to the Southport area.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
We enjoy going Down East Maine and once drove to Nova Scotia which was very nice. Took the Blue Nose ferry back to Bar Harbor.

burrr, pretty though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back