Saab 9-3 Carrier Bolts - 155 ft lbs

I'm getting ready to do a brake job on my Saab 9-3. I looked up the torque value for the front carrier bolts and they're 155 ft lbs!

I've never seen a value so high.

The idler bearing gear bolt for. DT466 is 476 ft lbs.

Lug nut torque an caliper bracket bolts are high on pickups never mind semi's.

You don't work on enough trucks

Last edited:
That will be 5 ugga duggas.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by The Critic
wink.gif

Using the sloppy conversion scale that would be 7 3/4 braps.

At least four big grunts for old timers.

Seriously, when I did the brakes/rotors on my Cutlass, the bolts were 153 ft lbs.

Okay. I guess I'm behind. I'm used to carrier bolts being around 100 ft lb or less.

Originally Posted by ET16
Okay. I guess I'm behind. I'm used to carrier bolts being around 100 ft lb or less.

You're not. Most Honda/Toyota cars are still 80 for the bracket bolts, though some are 100.

Originally Posted by The Critic
wink.gif

Using the sloppy conversion scale that would be 7 3/4 braps.
Using a 1 inch impact gun. I have changed too many semi sized tires on the companies semis and the big forklifts when gainfully employeed.

I have to say, 155 seems a bit high for something like that. I just looked up the spec for my WJ and it's 66-85 ft. lbs.

However, I also looked up both a 2000 and a 2009 9-3. The '00 is 88 ft. lbs. and the '09 is 155 + 30 degrees which probably equals 180 or so. Completely ridiculous. It's a brake caliper bracket... not a crank pulley bolt!

It's a Saab! Remember, the 9-5 wagon of the same era had four sliding, removable cargo hooks, each of which was rated to hold the static weight of the car. "Overbuilt" doesn't begin to describe it... not that you'd use the word once you've been in an accident in such a Saab.

They are that tight for a good reason. I had a caliper bracket loosen up on my F150 at 6000 miles. I also had one loosen up on my Fusion. I clean them up really well, clean the bolts, tighten to spec, and use blue loctite on them. I have also talked to a couple of my pro mechanic friends who have had the same problem. I don’t really know why this happens, but it is fairly common. The F150 was essentially a new truck and the factory tightened bolt loosened. The scary part is there was no vibration or any other symptoms besides a rattle I heard on bumps in the road.

They are that tight for a good reason. I had a caliper bracket loosen up on my F150 at 6000 miles. I also had one loosen up on my Fusion. I clean them up really well, clean the bolts, tighten to spec, and use blue loctite on them. I have also talked to a couple of my pro mechanic friends who have had the same problem. I don’t really know why this happens, but it is fairly common.
On a 2016 Fusion, at least, the brake caliper bracket bolts are single-use only per Ford service data. Since Ford doesn't supply a "torque plus degrees" spec, I'm presuming they're not torque-to-yield, but the replacement bolts do come prepared with threadlocker.

On the son-in-law's Chevy Cruze, the caliper bolets are torque-to-yield and absolutely have to be replaced every time they're removed.

My Kia, on the other hand, has split lock washers on the caliper bolts, and I've never had them loosen. I usually take them off at least annually to inspect and re-lube.

Back