1985 Toyota Camry.. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the 85 hatchback new just like the one in the picture. No weaknesses. Excellent performer, peppy, and high mpg. I changed the timing belt twice on mine myself. I think the head is in two sections. Not so easy to work on. Everyone who rode in it pretty much commented that they wish they had bought a Camry. The time involved makes it tough on these old cars. Maybe check the torque on the head bolts.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I would not want to risk my life on 30+ yr old 1980's technology.

That hurt my feelings!

frown.gif

Drop in a 3S-GE/3S-GTE into it :p

Those old 1st gen Camrys are a very rare sight though, you might not be able to find them at the junkyard. I would say the engine would be a good candidate to learn how to rebuild an engine. It's a S-series engine, the newest member of that was the 5S-FE in the 1992-2001 Camry. Those cars did use some tech from the Cressida/Supra parts bins and was Toyota's first major foray into FF design. The Corolla Tercel might have been Toyota's first FWD car, but it was arranged like the Olds Toronado, Chrysler Concorde/300M, older Audi A4/Passat or a Saab 900 with a longitudinal engine.

There's a chance that someone pulled an engine and put it on a shelf, then crushed the rest of the car. Look on car-part.com.

Originally Posted by eljefino
There's a chance that someone pulled an engine and put it on a shelf, then crushed the rest of the car. Look on car-part.com.

Just spoke to a yard that has one on the shelf.. The gentleman didn't even give me a quote after hearing what was wrong with mine. "That should be a 3-4 hour job tops. You don't need a new engine!"

I thought that was very nice of him, since he's incentivized to sell parts not give repair advice.

I took an 86 with a manual tranny to 200,000 miles before the rust made me give up around 2009. It was easy and inexpensive to maintain.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by atikovi
These Camry's are very pleasant to drive and very comfortable. Few of complicated electronics of newer models to go bad.

I remember these when they were being sold as brand new! While not sporty or stylish they are comfortable, VERY durable, and decently safe even today.
Very straight forward, cheap to keep cars. I'd gladly own one of these today if it wasn't beaten up.
Folks forget this was when Toyota was the most well built and durable cars you could get at any price. They STILL measure up in that department today.
This is a miracle feat.

If you wanted a fun daily driver that was inexpensive and fairly reliable with some room for passengers you'd go for the Honda Accord with stick which was also
a almost Toyota like bulletproof design, but with great driving dynamics too.

I agree about bubble economy era toyotas. I own one right now though it doesnt look as bland and pedestrian as that camry, but the quality is there. Its 30 years old and the engine GB and diff still does not leak. Went for a nice long drive last week and took twisty roads it was quiet and had good grip.

I have a 1989 Camry, I drive it every day. My parents bought it new, I bought it from them in 2002. All three of my daughters drove it during their teenage years, my youngest daughter loved that car. It now has 136,000 miles. I have never done anything major to the engine. Local guy rebuilt the brakes five or six years ago. It runs great, does not smoke. Paint is getting to be really faded from sitting outside. I was offered $ 2,000 for it last year, I did not sell it.

I had an '86 Camry, hand me down from the in-laws. I wasn't fast by any means but it did drive nice. Rust did it in but it still ran great pushing 200K. If the car is too expensive to fix, look at the 92-96 Camry models. Mine is currently at 269K but I love the car! Very easy to work on, parts are cheap. I am amazed at how little I spend to maintain a 25 year old car that I like driving.

Quick update...

Pulled the plugs, and found rust on cylinder 2 and 3. Not good..

4, 3, 2, 1 across the picture.

[Linked Image]

Did a leakdown test, and found that both cyl 2 and 3 make water bubble in the radiator. Cylinder 4 is 20% leakage, and cylinder 1 is 60% leakage, hissing from the oil filler neck.

Remember that the engine hasn't run in about a year. Is there any hope that the rings will free-up on cylinder 1? I have no way of testing cylinder 2 & 3 rings, but at this point, I'm at least pulling the head, and will be testing rings once that's off.

Originally Posted by citationxeleven
... If the car is too expensive to fix, look at the 92-96 Camry models...
My niece and sister-in-law both had those. They were reasonably reliable until ...
The '96 engine self-destructed at about 250k, by abruptly over-revving from a cold start with accelerator pedal not depressed. (Something about a loose throttle plate come adrift?) Rod through oil pan ... Someone installed a junkyard engine and it lives on.
The ''94 developed a hard-to-diagnose intermittent ignition fault before the head gasket failed. Not sure of mileage, but over 200k.

My sister has another one, and recently had its timing belt and catalytic converter replaced.

How hard is it to drop the oil pan? I'm wondering if it's worth pulling out the rod and see what the ring looks like. Seems like a bad idea to reuse rings but if you want them to free up, nothing like pulling it out and dropping piston face first into a bowl of oil.

At that point it's huge work and you wonder about doing the mains bearings too, but if it's been run any length of time with a blown HG, I wonder if it's not bad to look at them too.

Of course, as the one not doing the work it's real easy for me to recommend this.
wink.gif

Wow, this brings back memories. When my parents decided to trade in their truck for something more efficient, they honed in on the '85 Camry and Accord. Back then (IMO) the Accord had better looks and I remember me & my sister begging them to buy the Accord. We pored over the brochures at the dinner table and were determined to point out all the reasons why the Accord was the better choice. They relented and came home with a dark brown metallic Accord SE-i. I was in love. Tan perforated leather, great stereo, power sunroof, and a gutsy 1.8 that made beautiful sounds as the tachometer swept toward 6,500. I was 15, so this is the car I learned how to drive in. That was a great car, never darkening the door of a service department for anything besides oil changes and valve adjustments. They sold it to a family friend before the timing belt was due (1992), and we heard that the belt had snapped on the interstate a year or so later. I don't recall if they fixed it or ditched it. My parents could be heard years later talking about how great that Honda was, especially while waiting for the '93 Thunderbird they bought afterward to be repaired again and again.

Good luck with the Camry. Hope you get it fixed and are able to enjoy it. Cars that old can be a challenge, but all they require is TIME and MONEY. I love cars from the 80s, but I can't afford them. :)

mmmm. if it's hissing. this thing is going to need work. How much fun do you want to have? For the effort you'll put in troubleshooting, you are better off pulling and rebuilding, or swapping in that JY motor. Onsey-twosey repairs with frustrating go-backs will otherwise spoil this for you. Or walk away from it. Think hard now to make sure you're ok with whatever path you choose,

Update:

[Linked Image]

Last night got the head off, but couldn't check for flatness because I realized the ruler I got was not flat
frown.gif

HG does not look to have been compromised/burnt. The rear head bolts were not as tight as the front, so I wonder if I should have tried torquing them down first.. Regardless, I'm working on scrapping the gunk off the head and block, then testing for flatness.

BTW - Gasket remover does not really work.. And I am reluctant to scrape the aluminum head with a metal blade..

Seems like a lot of rust on the bores. I wonder if it they will clean up enough. Regardless. Where was the coolant getting into the engine?

If the gasket isn't obviously blown you have to consider that the head or block may be cracked. Not knowing the history of the car, it could have been driven overheated for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back