Sharing files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks:

I'm looking to share pdf files with some people that are not the most tech aware.

Ideally, I would like to be able to send a link that is password protected because it is financial data. (No SS# or anything like that, but account statements that I don't want out in the open).

Normally I would use Google drive, but that seems to require the recipient to have a google account. Amazon allows you send an unprotected link - from what I can tell anyway.

Onedrive seems to be the best choice. Anyone have any experience here? (Other option is regular post office mail I suppose).

What intrigues me most about this question is..." with some people that are not the most tech aware". So...even if you are actually able to share the files securely, what makes you think the data will remain secure in their hands once they do have it? Sounds to me like sharing the data securely is not your biggest problem.

GrtArtiste

Emailing them will only work if they're not that big. Anything more than about 5 MB and you may have problems with remote systems rejecting the emails due to size. Anything more than 10 MB and the likelihood of delivery failures increases very quickly.

These days Dropbox seems very popular, but that may require a higher level of tech awareness/skill than the folks in question.

I have used Onedrive links to share things with my Daughter. She lives in KS and me in CA. Worked well and will continue in the future.

Originally Posted by AlaskaMike
These days Dropbox seems very popular, but that may require a higher level of tech awareness/skill than the folks in question.

Recipients of Dropbox files/links need no tech-savvy. They will receive a link, click on it, and the PDF opens. This is definitely a good option.

The radio station uses "WeTransfer.com" to send larger sound files. 30 minute broadcast is usually 300-400 megabytes. They get an email from my email with the download link to the file.

Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
What intrigues me most about this question is..." with some people that are not the most tech aware". So...even if you are actually able to share the files securely, what makes you think the data will remain secure in their hands once they do have it? Sounds to me like sharing the data securely is not your biggest problem.

GrtArtiste

Their security concerns are actually the problem - they don't like installing software on their computer for fear of creating a security problem. My thought was that sending them a password protected link would be the best choice.

With google you can give them a sharable link that allows view or edit level access without a google account. I think it time bombs after X days so it no longer works. Its a decent option.

Originally Posted by Chester11
Their security concerns are actually the problem - they don't like installing software on their computer for fear of creating a security problem. My thought was that sending them a password protected link would be the best choice.

A few of us gave usable solutions, i.e. Dropbox, Google Drive, Onedrive, and so on. Only you have 100% access to all of the files you upload. You can create a unique link to one file to send to one person (or multiple people). Them having that link does not give them access to any other files. No software on their end, at least that they don't already have, is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back