We love our ethanol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
I would love to get even the 91 octane at that price. Ethanol is a waste and bad for the environment

As a practical matter, ethanol is the cheapest and most effective octane booster available save MTBE. The more common requirements for premium (or even super premium) would still drive towards the use.

01.gif

IMHO. ethanol is just asking for water in your system. dont for get all acids are water base.

Originally Posted by red7404
IMHO. ethanol is just asking for water in your system. dont for get all acids are water base.

What? I don't get the acid connection, can you explain. I have a minor in chemistry so you can be a little technical.

Originally Posted by kschachn

What? I don't get the acid connection, can you explain. I have a minor in chemistry so you can be a little technical.

+2 (no chemistry minor, but I do have a periodic table shower curtain!)

I'm a little unclear on the intended meaning as well and would welcome a correction, because that post is just chocked full of scratch-my-head-ness.

When ethanol burns, acetic acid is one by-product ( systematically named ethanoic acid )

Originally Posted by Linctex

When ethanol burns, acetic acid is one by-product ( systematically named ethanoic acid )

Nope. Acetic acid is not a by-product from the combustion of ethanol. Ethanol in contact with oxygen can eventually oxidize into acetic acid but the burning of ethanol creates CO2 and H2O.

Originally Posted by javacontour
About the only thing E85 is good for (for me anyway) is a cheaper fuel for returning Flex Fuel rental cars.

....and horsepower. ...

Well, since none of my cars can use it, I gave the (for me anyway) caveat.

It may help others, but it's mostly useless in my household.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by javacontour
About the only thing E85 is good for (for me anyway) is a cheaper fuel for returning Flex Fuel rental cars.

....and horsepower. ...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Nope. Acetic acid is not a by-product from the combustion of ethanol. Ethanol in contact with oxygen can eventually oxidize into acetic acid but the burning of ethanol creates CO2 and H2O.

Oh, if it were only true, what a wonderful place the world would be. CO2 and H20 are the only two theoretical components of the combustion of gasoline too. In the real world, inside a combustion chamber, oxidation is not complete and hundreds of compounds are formed. These include alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, and organic acids. Alcohols are particularly prone to forming aldehydes and acids as their structures are related.

Ed

Last edited:
I have a push mower that's been sitting in my shed since March of last year with E10 87 in it. I pulled it out today, and didn't add any fresh fuel to it. It fired up on the 4th pull and cut my 0.75 acre yard. (Having to add fuel halfway through of course.) So much for ethanol gunking it up when it sits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edhackett
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Oh, if it were only true, what a wonderful place the world would be. CO2 and H20 are the only two theoretical components of the combustion of gasoline too. In the real world, inside a combustion chamber, oxidation is not complete and hundreds of compounds are formed. These include alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, and organic acids. Alcohols are particularly prone to forming aldehydes and acids as their structures are related.

Ed

As if gasoline is any purer for the environment. There are positives and negatives for every fuel out there. Even using hyrdogen in a internal combustion engine will generate NOx. Even though water vapor is all that should come out the pipe.

I was primarily using E85 for two years straight while the price spread was so favorable. I now am using E15. About the same mpg as E10 but a nickel to a dime lower per gallon. So right now it is the best value. And that is the only real reason I have flex fuel vehicles. I like the ability to choose from a smorgasbord of fuels, choosing the one that delivers the best overall value on a cost per mile basis. I readily have E0, E10, E15, E20, E30, E50, and E85 in my area. I know the average mpg I get from each fuel. As the prices change seasonally, I select the fuel that offers me the best value. It is just that simple for me. I could give a rip about the politics and whatever behind the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back