Stumped on which tire direction to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2005 GMC Yukon XL that's been relegated to mainly our tow vehicle for a 22', 3500 lbs travel trailer. I also take it out on weekends to run errands to keep the battery juiced. All told I'm putting around 6k miles a year on it. I've got a set of Firestone Destination LE2's on it that were on it when I bought it in 2015. There's still decent tread on them and I was hoping to get another year out of them and change them at the 5 year age mark. However, they're all showing crackage between the treads that has me a bit concerned considering the added weight they handle with the trailer.

So now I'm looking to replace them at Tire Rack. I've narrowed things down to Michelin Defender LTX, Continental CrossContact LX20 and Bridgestone Dueler Alenza. There's a rebate that drops the Michelins down to $166/each, while the Contis are $170/ea and the Bridgestones are $182. Knowing they'll only be on there for 30-40k miles over the next 5 years, I'm stuck on spending a ton of $$ on the higher end brands or sacrifice some performance and shoot for something a lot cheaper like a Sumitomo Encounter or a Kumho Crugen.

Anyone have some firsthand experience on any of these mentioned? Anything here that's a no-brainer to buy or avoid?

Sumitomo Encounter HT is a great tire, I got them for Sportage a few weeks ago, happy with them. They are not far off from Michelin Defender LTX in all their qualities but are much cheaper.

Michelins are the worst possible choice on a vehicle that is driven a low amount of miles in a year. You'll pay more, but never wear them out before they dry rot, and need to be replaced. It's money wasted.

I think you are foolishly choosing top of the line tires for what you're going to do with them. You should be looking at something like a General Grabber HTS.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+HTS+60

So many better options for way cheaper. Just a quick look and the Bridgestones are $150 at Walmart. Usually the cheapest place I have found buying tires is Walmart, unless DTD or Tirerack is running a decent sale.

Stay away from the Michelin tires. I had to throw out a set because they cracked badly. Only used about 40-50% of the tread. No warranty. Have used the Continental Cross Contacts and found them to be superior to the Michelin in all ways.

Originally Posted by dubber09
Sumitomo Encounter HT is a great tire, I got them for Sportage a few weeks ago, happy with them. They are not far off from Michelin Defender LTX in all their qualities but are much cheaper.

i agree. summitomo makes a great tire. we sell 200 or so a month.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Michelins are the worst possible choice on a vehicle that is driven a low amount of miles in a year. You'll pay more, but never wear them out before they dry rot, and need to be replaced. It's money wasted.

I think you are foolishly choosing top of the line tires for what you're going to do with them. You should be looking at something like a General Grabber HTS.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+HTS+60

I failed to mention earlier that I have a set of General Grabber HTS tires on a 2000 GMC Sierra, that I tow a 28 foot travel trailer with. They're a good, all around tire for the money. No regrets.

I've got 6500 miles on some Conti CrossContact LX20s on the RAV and they're quiet, ride and handle well and are showing very little wear. They have a bit more lug in the tread than most A/S tires.

I have Michelin LTX on my Suburban 2500, zero cracking issues and they are like 6-7 years old now. Still have 50% tread remaining after 40k miles. But I think any of the 3 tires would be fine.

I failed to mention earlier that I have a set of General Grabber HTS tires on a 2000 GMC Sierra, that I tow a 28 foot travel trailer with. They're a good, all around tire for the money. No regrets.

How long have you had those on there? Any towing issues you experienced with them, good or bad?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pat in Speedway

How long have you had those on there? Any towing issues you experienced with them, good or bad?

According to my spreadsheet, tires have been on for 8 months, 8000 miles, and have been out on 7 camping trips. I've owned this truck since 2004, and have pulled 3 different campers with it. As far as tires on it, I've used Goodyear, Cooper and now General. No issues with the Generals, no worries. I only have concern about the Chinese tires that came on the camper, which I do monitor closely.

Now that we're getting into hot and humid summertime temperatures, I probably won't go out again until the 4th of July weekend, and likely then not again until Labor Day. Truck will sit a lot until Labor Day weekend. After Labor Day, I'll be pulling the camper every weekend through the end of October.

I would not tow with anything continental. Having considered them before, it seems their reviews on tirerack often mention sidewall blowouts, which my ex personally experienced on conti's as well. My son has a 2018 civic with contis, and one of them is showing a bubble in the sidewall.

A 3500 Travel Trailer doesn't put that much weight on the back axle. ~500 lbs on the bumper? So maybe 750 lbs on the axle, or 375 lbs on each rear tire? I'd air them up ~8 psi or so.

I've had older Bridgestone alenzas. Good solid tires, handle well, quiet, and hold their own in snow. Of those three, I'd choose them.

BUT, they are (or used to be) premium-priced. Consider a set of coopers - which will be every bit as solid. IME Coopers have somewhat softer rubber, which doesn't help longevity but helps with rain grip. In your low mileage pattern, this is not a detriment to you. I had a set of Cooper RTXs on my last truck, which we towed with as well, and they were probably the best tire I used for a truck with both daily and tow duty.

That does not mirror my experience. AT ALL.

In fact, our company trucks, all with Michelin tires, which sit outside in South Florida, and don't put on a lot of miles, have no tire troubles what so ever.

Originally Posted by Cujet

That does not mirror my experience. AT ALL.

In fact, our company trucks, all with Michelin tires, which sit outside in South Florida, and don't put on a lot of miles, have no tire troubles what so ever.

The flaw in your expeience is that south Florida doesn't experience all four seasons. Here in the Midwest... we do. We get lots of ice, and 6"-12" snowfall as well.. along with temps that can fall to 20 degrees below zero.

I only have concern about the Chinese tires that came on the camper, which I do monitor closely.

Off topic, but when you get new trailer tires, by all means consider Maxxis 8008. I put a set on the Scotty we used to have after we bought it. Had them on for four years with excellent wear and no signs of any flaws. When my Shasta hits the 5 year mark next year, I'll pull the factory Castle Rocks off there and put on Maxxis.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Called Tire Rack tonight and ordered these. $600 seemed to be a pretty good value without sacrificing much in the dry, wet, and snow categories that are the keys for me. 3 hour road trip Saturday morning to South Bend for the install!
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
mrsilv04 wrote: Michelins are the worst possible choice on a vehicle that is driven a low amount of miles in a year. You'll pay more, but never wear them out before they dry rot....
Originally Posted by walterjay
Stay away from the Michelin tires. I had to throw out a set because they cracked badly. Only used about 40-50% of the tread. No warranty. Have used the Continental Cross Contacts and found them to be superior to the Michelin in all ways.
I had one old used Michelin tire, that wore for 15,000 miles. Gave very nice handling, tho worn & old & never had any rot .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back