2000 Silverado 5.3L, LS, Rim/Tire Size Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just replaced the rack and pinion, pump and hoses on my father in laws 2000 Silverado 5.3L, 2wd (Step Side).

Truck currently has 18 inch rims with a 265/60/18 tires.

Father in law would like to go back to the stock rims and use a 255/70/16 tires but he feels like the stock tires and rims do not look good on his Step Side truck.

Are there any other rim sizes and rim styles by Chevy that are compatible with the 2000 Silverado (Step Side)

Next question:
Do larger rims and tires (265/60/18) cause premature wear to the pump and rack and pinion?
We found a forum thread (4x4) that talks about how larger rims and tires can cause additional stress the suspension and steering components?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Good question!

My nice 2006 4WD Silverado has 17" wheels, with OE-sized 265/70/R17 tires on it. I'm looking at new wheels for it soon.
These in fact: Pro Comp Alloys Series 89 Wheel with Flat Black Finish (17x8"/6x139.7mm)
Check 17" wheels, making sure the bolt pattern matches (that would be the 6x139.7mm pattern noted above). It might.

BTW, you could build the exact truck you're describing and put it in your "Amazon Garage." Then, reference wheels and other parts to it. Give that a try like it did.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I had a white 2000 Silverado that I put 17" Avalanche wheels on and it looked great. Like these:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Good question!

My nice 2006 4WD Silverado has 17" wheels, with OE-sized 265/70/R17 tires on it. I'm looking at new wheels for it soon.
These in fact: Pro Comp Alloys Series 89 Wheel with Flat Black Finish (17x8"/6x139.7mm)
Check 17" wheels, making sure the bolt pattern matches (that would be the 6x139.7mm pattern noted above). It might.

BTW, you could build the exact truck you're describing and put it in your "Amazon Garage." Then, reference wheels and other parts to it. Give that a try like it did.

Good luck.

Amazon garage?

I'm not sure what that is, sorry.

I wouldn't worry about a 265/60-18 causing additional wear and tear on a 2000 Chevy truck, as that's very close to a tire size that GM uses on today's trucks (265/65-18). I think the 265/60 is more of a size that Ford uses, but is so close that it doesn't matter.

On a 2000 Silverado that came with 16" wheels from the factory, you can use any wheel that came factory on a 1/2 ton Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche, Sierra or Yukon from 2000 to today. GM hasn't changed to bolt pattern at all.

Originally Posted by Gito
We just replaced the rack and pinion, pump and hoses on my father in laws 2000 Silverado 5.3L, 2wd (Step Side).

Truck currently has 18 inch rims with a 265/60/18 tires.

Father in law would like to go back to the stock rims and use a 255/70/16 tires but he feels like the stock tires and rims do not look good on his Step Side truck.

Are there any other rim sizes and rim styles by Chevy that are compatible with the 2000 Silverado (Step Side)

Next question:
Do larger rims and tires (265/60/18) cause premature wear to the pump and rack and pinion?
We found a forum thread (4x4) that talks about how larger rims and tires can cause additional stress the suspension and steering components?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Tires and wheels area weight that is bouncing up and down , constantly ( to some degree ) . The more they weigh , the more stress on what they are bolted to .

Also , the heavier / larger diameter they are , the larger flywheel they are . Maybe gyroscope , too .

If I were to change , I would go stock . What they look like is not as important , to me , as how well they work / perform .

Beast of luck to you , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back