Dexos2 for GTDI engines (EcoBoost, GM, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it feasible to run a Dexos2 oil in 5W-30 or 5W-40 for GTDI engines like Ford EcoBoost or GM's turbo 4 bangers (LTG, LNF, etc...)? Would the Dexos2 offer better stability and protection for timing chains?

Which EcoBoost?

The 4 pot ones do not use timing chains.
wink.gif

I am running a Dexos 2 spec oil in my 1.6 EB currently.

I believe the 2.0 and 2.3 still run timing chains, but I was more interested in the V6's (2.7 and 3.5) as well as GM's LTG and LNF (2.0).

Mobil 1 ESP is one of the best oils to run in a 2015+ WRX and 2014+ Forester XT according to all the UOAs i seen.

It's also has low calcium and low saps for lspi and carbon deposits. Also moly, which is good for timing chains.

Unfortunately the formula just changed and it doesn't look as good as the old one.

Dexos Schmexos! It doesn't really matter, as long as it meets Ford specs for the particular Ford product. The 2.0 Ecoboost in my Escape has a timing chain. As for GM, Chrysler, etc., use what the owners manual calls for.

I'm going to try a dexos 2 5w-40 next go around. It's SN rated so should be fine in the WRX.

Last edited:
A lot of overthinking on this forum using a DEXOS 2 in a DEXOS 1 is not needed nor can anyone prove it would prolong engine life.

Originally Posted by MParr
Dexos Schmexos! It doesn't really matter, as long as it meets Ford specs for the particular Ford product. The 2.0 Ecoboost in my Escape has a timing chain. As for GM, Chrysler, etc., use what the owners manual calls for.

Perfectly said, check the ford spec. I'm using "synthetic blend" Chevron Supreme 5w30 SN+ in a 2016 Ford Fusion 2.0

Originally Posted by metroplex
Is it feasible to run a Dexos2 oil in 5W-30 or 5W-40 for GTDI engines like Ford EcoBoost or GM's turbo 4 bangers (LTG, LNF, etc...)? Would the Dexos2 offer better stability and protection for timing chains?

Yes, you can use dexos2 with no problem. In fact, GM uses dexos2 in Europe for all their cars
smile.gif

Originally Posted by alcyon
Which spec has a higher HTHS , Dexos 1 or 2 ?

dexos2 has the higher HTHS. Must be at least 3.5. It also encompasses ACEA C3

higher viscosity oils protect better at the expense of a 1/4 mpg!!! easy choice for sure. girlfriends new to her kia optima oil cap says 5-20 but owners manual says also 5 or 10 W 30 SN or better, easy choice for sure!!

Chevron Delo XSP 5w-40 it is SN+ rated and appears to UOA better then Rottella T6 from what I have seen and 900 ppm of calcium.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Yes, you can use dexos2 with no problem. In fact, GM uses dexos2 in Europe for all their cars
smile.gif

This is just plain not true...I couldn't find the actual bulletin referenced here, but I have no reason to doubt this content from an Astra forum.
"Bulletin just been released by Vauxhall advising that for Turbocharged Direct Injection Engines there is a certain risk for Stochastic Pre Ignition (SPI). This SPI causes strong pressure peaks in the combustion chamber which may harm the piston ring lands.
Fault:
Sporadic metallic noise from combustion chamber, sometimes with short loss of power. Occasionally fault code 'P0300 Engine Misfire' is stored but not all the time. Engine Light might not even come on when power loss suffered. This may be the source of the engine splutter / short loss of power people are experiencing in 1.4 Turbo.
Affected Models:
Amongst the affected models are the two versions of the 1.4 Turbo in the Astra K (B14XFL/T RPO code LE1 and LE2). I have the 150ps 1.4 Turbo Astra K which is RPO code LE2.
Resolution:
Vauxhall/Opel/GM have developed a new engine Oil - Dexos 1, Generation 2 to reduce the risk of this fault happening. This new Oil is essential to be used for Astra K 1.4 Turbo. However up until this point only Dexos 2 has been available. The new Oil will be released in the final week of April 2017. The part number is: 95599877 which comes in a 5 litre container, larger sizes will be available at a later date. Model Year 2017 cars are shipped with the new oil in already. "
I have seen other references on this site about d1G2 being specified in Europe...supposedly, dexos2 will be updated with an LSPI test at some point.

Originally Posted by benjy
higher viscosity oils protect better at the expense of a 1/4 mpg!!! easy choice for sure. girlfriends new to her kia optima oil cap says 5-20 but owners manual says also 5 or 10 W 30 SN or better, easy choice for sure!!

More accurate statement higher viscosity oils allow a larger margin of error. If oil temperature does not exceed beyond the chemical and lubercant boundary it does not matter. For most of the vehicles on the road this weekend s the case.

Originally Posted by dave1251
A lot of overthinking on this forum using a DEXOS 2 in a DEXOS 1 is not needed nor can anyone prove it would prolong engine life.

There really isn't a lot of proof of too many things in life, sometimes you just gotta trust that you've made the right decision based on your gut (and some research)

For example, I have no proof that using a dexos2 5w30 in my Corvette instead of a dexos1 5w30 is going to prolong it's engine's life, but I'm still pretty confident that I made the right choice.

Originally Posted by Patman

There really isn't a lot of proof of too many things in life, sometimes you just gotta trust that you've made the right decision based on your gut (and some research)

For example, I have no proof that using a dexos2 5w30 in my Corvette instead of a dexos1 5w30 is going to prolong it's engine's life, but I'm still pretty confident that I made the right choice.

AGREED!
01.gif

I still think that for a summer time OCI, in my specific app (marginal factory radiator/aftermarket front skid plate), the D1G2 Ravenol DXG 5W-30 (3.1 HTHSV) I could use would be too thin, and heat shear/possibly fuel dilute down to a 2.6 or less HTHSV.

So I went with the low(ish) SA (0.8), 6.2 NOACK, but ~3.7 HTHSV Dexos 2 REP 5W-30 choice instead, despite Virtus_Probi's post above.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by metroplex
I believe the 2.0 and 2.3 still run timing chains, but I was more interested in the V6's (2.7 and 3.5) as well as GM's LTG and LNF (2.0).

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my LTG 2.0 Turbo, Dex2
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Patman

If it makes you sleep better but it's still a strawman. In tens of thousands of hours of operation in conditions most owners would not duplicate not but the recommended certification of motor oil is used. Lubercated related failure is at a zero.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

This is just plain not true...I couldn't find the actual bulletin referenced here, but I have no reason to doubt this content from an Astra forum.
"Bulletin just been released by Vauxhall advising that for Turbocharged Direct Injection Engines there is a certain risk for Stochastic Pre Ignition (SPI). This SPI causes strong pressure peaks in the combustion chamber which may harm the piston ring lands.
Fault:
Sporadic metallic noise from combustion chamber, sometimes with short loss of power. Occasionally fault code 'P0300 Engine Misfire' is stored but not all the time. Engine Light might not even come on when power loss suffered. This may be the source of the engine splutter / short loss of power people are experiencing in 1.4 Turbo.
Affected Models:
Amongst the affected models are the two versions of the 1.4 Turbo in the Astra K (B14XFL/T RPO code LE1 and LE2). I have the 150ps 1.4 Turbo Astra K which is RPO code LE2.
Resolution:
Vauxhall/Opel/GM have developed a new engine Oil - Dexos 1, Generation 2 to reduce the risk of this fault happening. This new Oil is essential to be used for Astra K 1.4 Turbo. However up until this point only Dexos 2 has been available. The new Oil will be released in the final week of April 2017. The part number is: 95599877 which comes in a 5 litre container, larger sizes will be available at a later date. Model Year 2017 cars are shipped with the new oil in already. "
I have seen other references on this site about d1G2 being specified in Europe...supposedly, dexos2 will be updated with an LSPI test at some point.

I did a terrible job quoting this post...I only meant to discuss the second sentence I have bolded now, I certainly did not mean to say that dexos2 will definitely be a problem in a DIT engine.
Only wanted to show that GM is recommending d1G2 for some Euro vehicles.
My bad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back