Does the GM G80 need LS fluid?

This question came up on a Silverado FB group I follow.

There are clutches in the G80 that are used for the lockup. My question is, do they need a LS additive? Obviously it won't hurt. The guy wants to know if he can run Delvac 1 75w90 in the front and the rear diffs. Front's a no brainer, but the clutches in the rear have me wondering.

Yes, the G80 "locker" needs the friction modifier package. Without it, you'll have harsh engagement of the clutches. Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75w-90 is what you want.

Originally Posted by K20FA5

There are clutches in the G80 that are used for the lockup. My question is, do they need a LS additive? Obviously it won't hurt. The guy wants to know if he can run Delvac 1 75w90 in the front and the rear diffs. Front's a no brainer, but the clutches in the rear have me wondering.

No. Previous threads covered this.
Ran Delvac 1 in my 2010 GMC for several years - and have it in my 2017 Tahoe and 2018 Z71.
Front? Have Delo in one and Mobil 1 in one.

The Eaton G80 in the GM trucks is a locker, not a limited slip. The G80 in cars is a limited slip with clutches. GM and Eaton do not recommend LImited Slip Additives for the locker.

#PIP4054D: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise On Turns - (Jul 19, 2010)

Subject: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise on Turns

Models Equipped With a Locking Rear Differential RPO G80

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIP4054C.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customers may comment on a chatter or shudder from the rear axle on vehicles equipped with an Eaton locking differential. This condition would be noticed in parking lot maneuvers, turning, or during locking differential engagement and may be more noticeable when the differential is hot. Locking differential clutch chatter may be causing this concern.

Notice: This does not apply to vehicles equipped with RPO QS4 (Quadrasteer) which is part of option package NYS. Quadrasteer vehicles use Dana axles and have a different fluid requirement.

Notice: This PI does not apply to vehicles equipped with a RPO G86 limited slip differential.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If differential clutch chatter is encountered in a vehicle equipped with an Eaton locking differential, flush, drain and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. If the condition returns, replace the rear differential clutch plates and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. Refer to eSI for clutch plate replacement and set up procedures.

Notice: Eaton locking differentials used in 10.5 rear axles are equipped with steel clutch plates. It is a design characteristic of these steel clutch plates to exhibit more clutch chatter than other models.

Important: Installing any friction modifier causes the clutch pack in the locking differential to slip and miss engagement. A fluid flush can often remove debris that is a contributor to clutch chatter. Adding friction modifier additive can cause a loss of locking differential functionality.

Notice: On Quadrasteer equipped vehicles, simply flush the rear axle and refill with the fluid listed in SI document 793720 under the steerable application.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Last edited:
Well that's new information to me. I thought all G80s were the same. I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-110 in mine with no slipping or issues.

There's a lot of arguments about this, the mfg says not to add LS additive. But some say that's because the GM stuff already has it added.

I emailed Eaton to ask them if I should or should not use a LS additive. Their answer was no additive, below is their email reply:

Hello Brian,
Both synthetic and mineral based are sufficient. Although the G80 uses clutches, it is a full locker. If you use a friction additive this can reduce torque / load carrying capacity and is not recommended. As far as oil weight, please use the specified oil weight and quantity in your vehicles owner's manual. Eaton has no oil brand recommendation.

Thanks,
-Eaton Performance Support

I guess that means I'm going to go with Delvac 1 75W90, full syn with no LS additive.

I emailed Eaton to ask them if I should or should not use a LS additive. Their answer was no additive, below is their email reply:

[color:#CC0000]Hello Brian,
Both synthetic and mineral based are sufficient. Although the G80 uses clutches, it is a full locker. If you use a friction additive this can reduce torque / load carrying capacity and is not recommended. As far as oil weight, please use the specified oil weight and quantity in your vehicles owner's manual. Eaton has no oil brand recommendation.

Thanks,

I guess that means I'm going to go with Delvac 1 75W90, full syn with no LS additive.

^ Thanks for this. Finally some clarification from the manufacturer (Eaton) on what to use in my G80 locker! 2005 Chevy Avalanche 2 WD with 206,000 miles, most likely FF, since I bought it used. I just ordered a gallon from Amazon.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:

[color:#CC0000]Hello Brian,

Thanks,

^ Thanks for this. Finally some clarification from the manufacturer (Eaton) on what to use in my G80 locker! 2005 Chevy Avalanche 2 WD with 206,000 miles, most likely FF, since I bought it used. I just ordered a gallon from Amazon.
thumbsup2.gif

No. Previous threads covered this.
Ran Delvac 1 in my 2010 GMC for several years - and have it in my 2017 Tahoe and 2018 Z71.
Front? Have Delo in one and Mobil 1 in one.
Been in the 4WD Tahoe for 20 months now … smooth performance …

The Eaton Gov-Loc does not require LS additive. PERIOD

With that said......My 11.5" AAM gov-loc will chatter making the 120° right turn at the end of my street then again on the 90° left turn onto the street to get out of the neighborhood. It will do this no matter what lube I run. And it only happens on those 2 turns.

I've ran Redline NS, Delvac 1, & Mobil 1 LS......Couldn't tell the difference with any of them.

No where near the chatter my 1997 Dodge 3500 Dually would omit on the same turns or after a long

I have used used gear oil with and without additive in the G80 in my Trailblazer. FWIW I never noticed any difference in operation during the winter months.

Well that's new information to me. I thought all G80s were the same. I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-110 in mine with no slipping or issues.

G80 is simply the RPO (Regular Production Option) for any type of non-open differential. It is been used since the 70's at least. IMO the confusion comes in when someone decided to just call it a G80.

So unless you KNOW for a fact there was only one kind of LSD/Locking diff used in that year and model (and I understand that may be the case with the OP) all G80 on the SPID tells you is that it isn't supposed to be a one wheel peel....

Glad you brought this up Duck. Here is a posting of my RPO codes from my glove compartment. It’s a 2008 3/4 ton Chev. Also here are photos of the rear diff with the cover on and off. It’s a 10.5 inch 14 bolt with 3.73 gears. The G80 code is shown in the 5th column, 4th row. However the shots of the diff in my opinion do not match up with what is known as a locking G-80. I welcome any thoughts on that. Snag.

Attachments

• 42EC69D9-EE33-42D6-A5CC-3ADF6C82380D.jpeg
    42EC69D9-EE33-42D6-A5CC-3ADF6C82380D.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 319
  • 5017561B-FAF5-4A19-875B-ADBA48A89D6F.jpeg
    5017561B-FAF5-4A19-875B-ADBA48A89D6F.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 344
  • F48F821F-6409-49BB-A203-E52F0C3BBB9B.jpeg
    F48F821F-6409-49BB-A203-E52F0C3BBB9B.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 320
  • BB61B44F-EF24-45A5-A4AA-773972387B2A.jpeg
    BB61B44F-EF24-45A5-A4AA-773972387B2A.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 337
Just checked the Delvac 1 in mine at 25k … looks perfect and no chatter at all …

G80 is simply the RPO (Regular Production Option) for any type of non-open differential. It is been used since the 70's at least. IMO the confusion comes in when someone decided to just call it a G80.

So unless you KNOW for a fact there was only one kind of LSD/Locking diff used in that year and model (and I understand that may be the case with the OP) all G80 on the SPID tells you is that it isn't supposed to be a one wheel peel....
I just got a note back from the Tech at Randy's Worldwide, a supplier of diffs. He said the G-80 on the RPO sticker in the glove compartment does indicate the diff. If the RPO is G-80, it really is a G-80 locking diff. Note sure if he is right to not. I didn't think mine looks like a G-80.

Back