Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 : Does It Hold Up ?

In reviewing some recent 5W30 synthetics , I become increasingly surprised that PP 5W30 comes in with a low cSt @ 100 degrees C. of 9.8 . Compare this to Valvoline Advanced 5W30 = cSt @ 100 degrees C. of 10.6 , M1 5W30 = cSt @ 100 degrees C. of 11.0 and QSUD 5W30 = cSt @ 100 degrees C. of 11.6 . *While still technically a 5W30 (9.8) , I would think after 4K to 5K miles you may be flirting with the upper end of a 5W20 somewhere down in the high 8's cSt @100 degrees C. ? ... Then again , I believe of the readily available synthetic 5W30 oils the PP and M1 are the only ones with A5/B5 ratings ... Beyond the Pure Plus, natural gas derivative , etc. I just now think the newer PP 5W30 D1 / Gen2 5W30 is kind of an odd oil amongst it's competitors I listed ?

And if you look at UOA on here you will notice not only viscosity drop but lower flashpoint. Everyone on here claim it is nothing to worry about but me personally there are better oils out there for your money.

I think the HTHS of Pennzoil Platinum is still around 3.0-3.1 which is what the bearings see while running. And that is what ultimately truly matters. Being that PP has Dexos approval and ACEA A5 means it is a solid performer. I believe only M-1 is the only other 5w30 that carries both of those specs.

Last edited:
Any oil with a Euro ACEA spec like A5/B5 or A3/B4 or C3 etc needs to pass a stay-in-grade shear stability test. This is not part of the standard API SN or ILSAC GF-5 test, so a A5/B5 oil like PP or M1 5W30 are usually blended with a more shear stable VII additive.

*That appears to be a prevailing thought ... Currently my Sonata has a newish fill using Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W30 which is gaining in popularity due to add pack and UOA's . The Advanced synthetic may become my #1 followed by M1 5W30 and a #3 slot (TBD) .
Originally Posted by tiger862
And if you look at UOA on here you will notice not only viscosity drop but lower flashpoint. Everyone on here claim it is nothing to worry about but me personally there are better oils out there for your money.

Considering Pennzoil will warranty your engine for 300k on this oil if you start using by 75k total vehicle miles, and the fact that you can frequently get $10 rebates on 5qt jugs, I'm going to go out on a very thick limb and say you're welcome to your opinion but in the absence of hard data, that your statement is worth only what I paid to read it, or less.

As bbhero points out, and has been discussed quite extensively lately on the board, HTHS is much more relevant than KV100 when it comes to protection and wear. It's also one reason I'm looking at running Redline 5W20 in my Subaru since the HTHS of 3.2 is well in to the same realm as all the other 30wts I've run, and AAMOF it's actually higher than the Amsoil SS 10W30 (3.1) that's currently in my vehicle. However, the Redline 5W20 KV100 is just over 2 full points lower than the Amsoil, I'm expecting a reduction in pumping losses, and quicker lubrication on startup while not losing any protection in the bottom end.

OP, the PP 5W30 is fine for any vehicle that calls for the 5W30 and the specs it meets; if you're looking for a really thick 5W30 and prefer the yellow bottle and easy availability at WM, look at the PP Euro L 5W30. My VOA showed a KV100 of 12.38, which is at the very upper end of the 30wt scale.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Considering Pennzoil will warranty your engine for 300k on this oil if you start using by 75k total vehicle miles, and the fact that you can frequently get $10 rebates on 5qt jugs, I'm going to go out on a very thick limb and say you're welcome to your opinion but in the absence of hard data, that your statement is worth only what I paid to read it, or less.

As bbhero points out, and has been discussed quite extensively lately on the board, HTHS is much more relevant than KV100 when it comes to protection and wear. It's also one reason I'm looking at running Redline 5W20 in my Subaru since the HTHS of 3.2 is well in to the same realm as all the other 30wts I've run, and AAMOF it's actually higher than the Amsoil SS 10W30 (3.1) that's currently in my vehicle. However, the Redline 5W20 KV100 is just over 2 full points lower than the Amsoil, I'm expecting a reduction in pumping losses, and quicker lubrication on startup while not losing any protection in the bottom end.

OP, the PP 5W30 is fine for any vehicle that calls for the 5W30 and the specs it meets; if you're looking for a really thick 5W30 and prefer the yellow bottle and easy availability at WM, look at the PP Euro L 5W30. My VOA showed a KV100 of 12.38, which is at the very upper end of the 30wt scale.

[Linked Image]

Has anyone been able to use the warranty? Other oil companies have a warranty also.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
In reviewing some recent 5W30 synthetics , I become increasingly surprised that PP 5W30 comes in with a low cSt @ 100 degrees C. of 9.8 . Compare this to Valvoline Advanced 5W30 = cSt @ 100 degrees C. of 10.6 , M1 5W30 = cSt @ 100 degrees C. of 11.0 and QSUD 5W30 = cSt @ 100 degrees C. of 11.6 . *While still technically a 5W30 (9.8) , I would think after 4K to 5K miles you may be flirting with the upper end of a 5W20 somewhere down in the high 8's cSt @100 degrees C. ? ... Then again , I believe of the readily available synthetic 5W30 oils the PP and M1 are the only ones with A5/B5 ratings ... Beyond the Pure Plus, natural gas derivative , etc. I just now think the newer PP 5W30 D1 / Gen2 5W30 is kind of an odd oil amongst it's competitors I listed ?

From personal experience, I agree.
I have done a couple UOA for a 2011 Equinox with 2.4l.
The 2nd one was after the engine rebuild. PP (gen 2)full synthetic still wasn't holding up. Thinning badly. Thought maybe it was just the engine (direct injection). 3k miles and it was very thin. After looking at the stories of how Castrol was holding up well with Ford's Ecoboost, I thought I would try it.
Was going to do a UOA on the Castrol Edge (gen 2) I used but sold the car at 3k miles. But the oil was still GOOD. Still clear and not thinned out. The PP was looking pretty bad by 2k miles.
I also swapped from PP to Magnatec for the 2009 Sienna. No UOA, but I was changing oils on the Sienna by 4k miles because the engine was running rough. This time it was 6.5k miles. No color is not indicative of oil quality but if the oil has thinned to the point that I can tell the engine is not "happy" with it anymore....I really don't need a UOA.

*Good information - I trust PP 5W30 has a HTHS of at least 3.0 ?
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

[Linked Image]

I use 9ennz Platinum 5w30 in both my 2008 Malibu LTZ 3.6 and my 2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T with complete confidence, no need for the rocket science, been using Pennzoil for the last 50+ years of driving
thumbsup2.gif

Ultra platinum is a little thicker
2 bucks more for 5 quarts at Wally world online here

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tblt44

According to a VOA, the new SN + PUP is not thicker anymore.

Originally Posted by jbutch

From penzoil website as of today 06/17/2019
PUP 10.3
PP 9.8

PUP 10.3
PP 9.8

The difference is minuscule.

PUP 10.3
PP 9.8

The Pennzoil website for PUP 5W30 is outdated. It shows an API SN-RC rating dated 10/27/14, which is pre-SN Plus.

Originally Posted by PimTac

PUP 10.3
PP 9.8

The difference is minuscule.

5 %

PUP 10.3
PP 9.8

According to this VOA, the new formulation has a viscosity of 9.72 @ 100c.

PUP 10.3
PP 9.8

According to this VOA, the new formulation has a viscosity of 9.72 @ 100c.

Very close. The difference could be the margin or error from the VOA.

Back