2017+ 6.7 powerstroke oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mattd
Once a month, or every 2000 miles. Right in line with the OLM. They won't pay for a UOA. I'm sure the fuel dilution is high.
Therein lies the problem. If these trucks are sitting idling and the like or stuck in stop and go traffic, the viscosity of the oil is likely reduced to the point of the engine "drinking it" which is what seems to be happening. I had about 50K miles on PSD when I sold it, but if memory serves, I had about 900-1000 hours on it (mostly highway miles). Modern diesels with full emissions systems are not designed to sit and idle and without the regen completing (and it sounds like it is not) then fuel dilution is over the top. They seriously need to spend $25 and find out what is happening with the oil unless they have money to burn and simply do not care.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Cylinder washing wear from regens?

This is what I think

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Once a month, or every 2000 miles. Right in line with the OLM. They won't pay for a UOA. I'm sure the fuel dilution is high.
Therein lies the problem. If these trucks are sitting idling and the like or stuck in stop and go traffic, the viscosity of the oil is likely reduced to the point of the engine "drinking it" which is what seems to be happening. I had about 50K miles on PSD when I sold it, but if memory serves, I had about 900-1000 hours on it (mostly highway miles). Modern diesels with full emissions systems are not designed to sit and idle and without the regen completing (and it sounds like it is not) then fuel dilution is over the top. They seriously need to spend $25 and find out what is happening with the oil unless they have money to burn and simply do not care.

It will burn oil on a fresh change. The oil doesn't smell heavy of diesel when it's changed, but it has to be on the high side. I've been working on powerstrokes for the past 15 years and this latest emission equipped powerstrokes are very hard on it. These trucks are rescues in a busy city. The OLM accounts for all the regens and pops up every month like clock work. I have the trucks in every 2 weeks for fluid top offs and complete inspections. And they are pulled out of service for maintenance every month.

Just perspective, one of our reserve trucks that used to be front line has 230k miles with 34,000 hours. It's has has 2 engine overhauls (6.4). On average, they put 4000 hours per year on the trucks.

Last edited:
It will burn oil on a fresh change. The oil doesn't smell heavy of diesel when it's changed, but it has to be on the high side.
It burns it now, but did it from when it was new? If the dilution has been high for as long as it likely has, then engine wear may have occurred to the point of burning oil no matter what. I was a member of several Powerstroke forums and have not seen this condition reported.

I am over on PSN too and have never seen this reported. And no it never burned oil until about 3000 hours. I very confident in saying that the consumption is from a wear problem, likely piston/cylinder wear. Other than a delete I do not see a way around this problem. The city won't pay for an oil change every two weeks or 1000 miles

There is a 2013 6.7 With all the emissions in tact and has survived 19000 hours on 3000 mile oil changes and doesn't use a drop. It's something with the new Truck programming fills the filter up quickly. The older generation 6.7 doesn't do this. It has the latest calibrations programmer in the PCM and Nox modules. We have the IDS.

Last edited:
All of this engine wear could be avoided if they put a diesel injector post turbo in the exhaust system specifically for regen. Cummins already does this on their ISX engines .

Sad, I love Ford but their antiquated method of regen sucks and will continue to give problems until they wisen up and put the 9th injector in as everyone else has.

Ideally you delete them when new and never worry about it but that isn't easy with states that enforce emissions and city owned trucks...

We actually have 2 first generation 6.7 that are fully deleted with 5" straight pipes and tuned...they went about 25000 hours before the blow by and oil leaks got bad enough to warrant overhauls. For maths sake it's about 825,000 miles.

Last edited:
My 2014 F550 6.7 doesn't seem to use any oil. Mine are mainly highway miles with complete regens every 500 miles or so. Using 5w-40 and Blackstone shows no fuel dilution but seems to shear to 30 weight during UOA. Need to take back for another oil leak...[censored].

Just about all 6.7 will leak from the front cover. Other common leaks are from the upper oil pan and turbocharger

Last edited:
Had upper oil pan, but still leaking from here. Warranty good until September...hoping they fix. Oil not hitting the ground...but something is leaking.

20180411_140238.jpg

Probably leaking right where the upper oil pan, front cover and engine block meet. Almost always on that side with the trans lines too. That's where they all leak from. Not sure how they haven't figured out what to use on that connection after 8 years. I use anerobic sealer on it and it doesn't leak.

With a leak from that spot most dealers will reseal both upper oil pan and front cover. Both are big jobs and requires transmission removal and entire front of the truck/engine must come apart

Last edited:
[censored]...are you saying another upper oil pan repair or can they fix without doing it again? What a pain...thanks for the info.

I edited my post it answers your question I think

The ford dealer was trying to tel me the truck I have there now for warranty that Iost 2.5 quarts oil in 1000 miles identical to your leak. Pretty sad on their part

Last edited:
Thanks mattd... not sure why they didn't see it during first upper oil pan repair....was leaking in same area as well. Hope you get some answers on the oil consumption. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me...I appreciate the info and help.

Get that Delvac out of there and it won't shear nearly as bad... Oh and Blackstone can't properly test for fuel dilution unless something has changed recently...

Never heard that about Delvac...used my last batch of CJ-4 this oil change. Suspecting Blackstone is not calculating my fuel dilution...going to try NAPA test next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back