5W20 walmart Full Syn bad smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny Smell on Walmart 5W20 full syn, Dexos 2 certified

Opened the container and it smelled somewhat like sulfured gear lube. It had all appearances of factory sealed, and was very thin, viscosity similar to transmission fluid, so I do not think someone put in gear lube. Is this normal now?. I have been using the dexos 2 5W30 in my car. Changing by the oil life monitor, it gets changed once a year or so. I have that container with the extra ½ quart in it, and it does not have that smell. Is this normal?

Since it's 5w20, I think you mean Dexos 1 Gen 2, Dexos 2 is a different animal.

What color is it?

I've seen users on this forum that had suspicious Supertech oils. Can't remember which thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely a formula difference between the two.

Transmission fluid has a similar viscosity to a 5W20 I thought. There are some oils that have a distinct smell.
I remember about 12 or so years ago, some oils having a pungent or a different smell to them. I wasn't around here at the time. Nothing harmful.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
it smelled somewhat like sulfured gear lube. ..... was very thin, viscosity similar to transmission fluid,

You just perfectly described Harley-Davidson Primary case & sportster transmission lube.

It's a thin oil that won't be much thicker than ATF, to be honest. You are probably smelling some "extreme pressure" additives.

Yes my bad, Dexos 1 gen 2 It was the normal oil color, same as 5W30 WM Full Syn. I suspect it was factory sealed, it had the screw off seal intact, and the then plastic foil type OE seal correctly applied.

I am using it.

Rod

The 5w20 SUPERTECH from WPp I put in my Rogue smelled nasty too.

It also didn't run too well on that fill but that engine was flaky anyhow,

Was it Supertech of some other supplier?

No Honey mint scent here!

Last edited:
QSUD has a sweet smell to it. Very distinctive. RP Synerlec oil had a rubbery atf type smell to it.

It's not cologne so I don't think its something to worry about lol.
Valvone maxlife atf has the strongest smell of all but it has been working well for like 150k miles for me.
I don't bother with 20weight motor oil but I do use supertech 5w30 both conventional and synthetic fairly often. It always smells looks and feels like motor oil lol. No problems ever either

Originally Posted by Pinoak
It's not cologne so I don't think its something to worry about lol.

ðŸ‘

When y'all are done with the SuperTech, maybe we can figure out what's with the bad smell in my home office!...‚

Last edited:
You should smell the factory "Warren Distribution". Its normal, most people dont know what oil really smells like. You may have ever driven past an oil field, smells like rotten eggs and gunpowder.

Fully synthetic gear oil smells like arse too. As does the Valvoline ATF Maxlife. Don't get that stuff on your hands before dinner.

So at my Kia dealer shop we use Valvoline bulk oils. The cheap synthetic blend oil kinda has a smokey smell to it, and the full synthetic oil has a sulfur kinda smell to it. It's part of the additive pack. Royal Purple oil has the same smell if that matters lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back