Who goes to beaches for vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks
smile.gif

I for one have been to Myrtle Beach, Pebble beach and Ocean City and Virginia Beach and enjoyed all of them. And Outer Banks too twice.

Anyone here enjoy heading to the beach for a nice getaway?

This vacation was great, nice "graveyard of the Atlantic" museum tour and cool shops and sights I witnessed. Gas at parents town on Lake Norman was $2.18 when I arrived there June 7th and $2.14 when I left yesterday
smile.gif

My family has had a shore house on Long Beach Island since 1989, so I spent 6 weeks each summer there from 89-2005. Since I moved out, I tend to look more for lake houses and mountain creeks for vacations, we are heading to Smith Mountain Lake in VA in 2 months. LBI is absolutely insane now. Whenever we're there I always feel so constricted, people everywhere, tons of traffic. They barely have any dog parks, so the ones that are open are always packed. Just feels like theres no open space, as opposed to growing up there when it was still relatively quiet and sleepy. Now, cleared 50x75 lots are about 450k, if you can find one.

Last edited:
We go "away" from the beaches on vacation. Well since we live in beach paradise and we go out on the boat 6-10 times a month to the "beaches". I drive the boat out to Sanibel, North Captiva, Boca Grande, Cayo Costa, etc, every weekend.

We went down to the Cape a few times, that can be a fun break. But usually we're not sun people so no, we don't go that often. We kinda like going to DC and seeing all those free museums.

The wife and I regularly go to the Oregon Coast. Cannon Beach, Depoe Bay and further down to Yachats and Florence. It's a nice trip too. The further south you go the cheaper it gets.

There is nothing like fresh ocean air.

My mother in law lives ocean front on Northern MA coastal town so we don't go often for summer beach vacation specifically.

I have done a winter vacation in Grand Cayman Islands and Aruba recently. Beyond warm water my kids loved snorkeling.

The best US beach we have been to is on Caladesi Island near Clearwater.
Best ever was Savannah Bay beach on Virgin Gorda, off the usual tourist/cruise ship path and truly lovely...also about waist deep wading to way, way offshore.
Hawknest beach on St John has a special place in my heart because I saw a sea turtle each of the three times I snorkeled there...so much on that island was wiped out by the recent hurricanes.
Baby beach on Aruba is also a standout in my memory.
Haven't been to Hawaii yet as my wife is very uncomfortable on planes and we have never lived W of the Mississippi, but we will make it someday!

I go to Clearwater, Daytona or Siesta Key quite often, especially since they all are around 90minutes from my house
smile.gif

We actually found a little place just south of Siesta Key a few weeks ago called Turtle beach. Didn't have the beautiful white sands but the water was amazing! As blue as Hawaii, warm and clear!

Originally Posted by bubbatime
We go "away" from the beaches on vacation. Well since we live in beach paradise and we go out on the boat 6-10 times a month to the "beaches". I drive the boat out to Sanibel, North Captiva, Boca Grande, Cayo Costa, etc, every weekend.

Same way, I see the beach everyday so when I go on vacation it is the last thing I want to see. I visit family in Cape Coral, FL once a year and the only time I see water is when we drive over one of the beaches to Fort Myers. One of the times we were there some of my family had rented one of those condos in Fort Myers Beach. My uncle kept saying "Tell Eddie (I hate being called Eddie) we are going to the beach" to my mom who would say "ya uh about that you know where we live right?" and he would say "Ya but its the beach." He meant well.

Sitting on the sand for hours, 2 feet away from perfect strangers in broiling heat with flies or mosquitos biting every 30 seconds is not the most enjoyable way to spend the day, unless it's a nude beach. And even then, the views are most often not too pretty.

I live in Jupiter, Florida and the beach (especially the really nice Juno beach) is near enough. I don't go as frequently as I'd like. But I truly enjoy it. Strangely enough, I've vacationed at a number of Caribbean islands and, of course the Florida Keys! Not sure the beaches were any better at all. But it was fun and I always enjoy it.

Back when I was healthy, I'd do some epic group bicycle rides from my neighborhood, to Juno Beach, up Jupiter Island coast to Stuart, FL and back.

I guess that more than anywhere else in the world, I prefer beaches.

Jupiter Island:
Note: it's southern half is a neighborhood and northern section (8 miles) is a stunning uninhabited natural area called the Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
We try to camp near a few beaches in the summer. We usually a Grayland and Pacific Beach, Wa trip.
We like the mountains just as much this year we divided it up.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Sitting on the sand for hours, 2 feet away from perfect strangers in broiling heat with flies or mosquitos biting every 30 seconds is not the most enjoyable way to spend the day, unless it's a nude beach. And even then, the views are most often not too pretty.

Speak for yourself. I am not picky.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
I prefer places like this...

Ditto. I bored outta my mind after a half hour on a beach.

We bought our retirement home a few miles from the DE beaches. We go weekends, a week or two in summer and hopefully soon for retirement.

We usually walk on the beach or are doing things with grandkids at beach.

I am fair skin and blue eyes. I gotta watch the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back