Any website with real time street level aerial images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go to Mapblast or Google maps you can see overhead and street side images but they are from months or years ago. Is there any website that gives this view in real time or even with a few hours delay?

Drive down the road to the Pentagon and ask nicely.
smile.gif

I'm not aware of any realtime aerials available to the public.

Even if such a site were possible, the possibilities for misuse are too numerous to mention. Congrats...this is possibly the most unreasonable request I think I have ever seen.

GrtArtiste

You might get lucky with local cams for road conditions but that's about it. You'll have to google them but I've used a few cams that are publicly available outside businesses to monitor road and weather conditions for road trips.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
smile.gif

Since I don't work at NORAD, not possible. Wasn't GPS highly regulated by the government until it was offered in cars? I can imagine this being along the same lines. What more misuse could there be than currently available traffic cams and webcams. Any sensitive areas could automatically be blurred out like they already do.

Originally Posted by atikovi
smile.gif

Since I don't work at NORAD, not possible. Wasn't GPS highly regulated by the government until it was offered in cars? I can imagine this being along the same lines. What more misuse could there be than currently available traffic cams and webcams. Any sensitive areas could automatically be blurred out like they already do.

I would be able to see who goes to your house, when they are there/leave, basically anything that a stalker or attacker would want to know in order to plan something.

smile.gif

What more misuse could there be than currently available traffic cams and webcams. Any sensitive areas could automatically be blurred out like they already do.

A city center isn't a sensitive area, but with real time feeds an individual could develop a time map of not only peak congestion and peak emptiness, but also specific areas where the population is most dense. Using these two points one could conceivably determine not only the best locations to place ordnance, but also the best times to avoid detection and inflict maximum damage.

While this is an extreme example, it's a very real example that could easily occur. Similar things have been accomplished with less precise data.

smile.gif

GPS wasn't regulated, it just had some limitations some of which I believe are still in effect. It's a satellite signal so hard for them to block it. They had select availability which reduced the accuracy of the GPS signal, but they turned that off so it's more accurate but still has accuracy issues due to weather patterns and other issues with the signal. Still has some limitations like not working when going over 1000mph, that's so missiles can't use, otherwise not an issue even when flying. You should try it when you're on a plane, pretty interesting getting your ground speed and watching it go nuts trying figure out a driving route when you're over a lake.

It's big bucks to get a real time satellite image. If you could do it for the entire US, it'd cut down on a lot of crime. Probably why it has to be one of the most outrageous request ever on here.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
smile.gif

GPS wasn't regulated, it just had some limitations some of which I believe are still in effect. It's a satellite signal so hard for them to block it. They had select availability which reduced the accuracy of the GPS signal, but they turned that off so it's more accurate but still has accuracy issues due to weather patterns and other issues with the signal. Still has some limitations like not working when going over 1000mph, that's so missiles can't use, otherwise not an issue even when flying. You should try it when you're on a plane, pretty interesting getting your ground speed and watching it go nuts trying figure out a driving route when you're over a lake.

It's big bucks to get a real time satellite image. If you could do it for the entire US, it'd cut down on a lot of crime. Probably why it has to be one of the most outrageous request ever on here.

Isn't using a GPS on a commercial airliner prohibited like cellphones are? And I thought I saw them doing this on CSI Miami a while back to monitor a bad guy on the highway. BTW, I wasn't requesting this, just asking if it is available. Why is it outrageous? Aren't millions of telephone calls, TV shows, remote car unlocking, etc. done with satellites? Having realtime images would be the next logical step beyond the current dated images.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
smile.gif

Isn't using a GPS on a commercial airliner prohibited like cellphones are? And I thought I saw them doing this on CSI Miami a while back to monitor a bad guy on the highway. BTW, I wasn't requesting this, just asking if it is available. Why is it outrageous? Aren't millions of telephone calls, TV shows, remote car unlocking, etc. done with satellites? Having realtime images would be the next logical step beyond the current dated images.

Somewhat grey area. It's really a receiver, not a transmitter. Plus airplanes can have their own GPS also. Lots of devices like a tablet have built in GPS systems and even if your phone is on airplane mode, GPS may still work, never tried it.

Logical to you if you don't know anything about technology. Do you know how much data is involved in a picture, let alone real time imaging? Do you know how much data you take up just streaming a TV show? Do you know how much data it would take to provide real time streaming of street level detail for the entire US? And how much it would cost for all that?

......"I thought I saw them doing this on CSI Miami a while back to monitor a bad guy on the highway.".......

So...the basis for your question is what you think you saw on a bad fictional police drama broadcast by an outlet of the main stream media? Congrats yet again...I can see that CBS has indeed successfully reached their target audience.

GrtArtiste

Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
......"I thought I saw them doing this on CSI Miami a while back to monitor a bad guy on the highway.".......

So...the basis for your question is what you think you saw on a bad fictional police drama broadcast by an outlet of the main stream media? Congrats yet again...I can see that CBS has indeed successfully reached their target audience.

GrtArtiste

Yeah, it's pretty amazing the liberties they take on those shows. Like how DNA results come back in minutes. I did like how there was one James Bond movie where they cut the air lines to the truck and then the guy had no brakes instead of stopping because in real life on a truck when you have no air in the lines, the brakes are applied.

Most aerial pictures you see on google are taken by planes. When you zoom out you might get satellite pics, that's why the colors change. They do them every few years and there are many clients, like the government themselves.

Satellites, as mentioned, have limited bandwidth. They're solar-powered radio stations 25000 miles away! They're great for retransmitting something everybody wants, like a TV network. They're expensive for one-on-one stuff like a yacht telephone.

We used to send spy satellites up that shot on film. We even asked Kodak for thinner film so they could fit more pictures on a roll. The Navy yanked them out of the ocean when they completed their missions. Cold War level stuff. The pictures are better now, and transmitted by radio, but they aren't offering the public anything like you describe, and it's a stretch of the technology.

China and England have bunches of Closed Circuit TV, but they use earth-based wires. Way easier to fit more data down a wire or fiber optic vs using radio. I'm sure we do it, too, but we're subject to the same laws of physics.

Exactly what eljefino said. Every couple of years the government (usually state level) flies a small plane fitted with a camera pointing straight down. The camera shoots still pictures at regular intervals as the pilot (now GPS controlled, this must have been difficult before GPS) flies in a grid pattern. The pictures are later stitched together to show the whole land area. This has been done for many decades for civil government purposes such as map making and land use planning. For the most part, these are the pictures shown on map sites when you choose "Satellite" on a street-scale map. Technically these pictures are "aerial."

Last edited:
smile.gif

Truth! Anything else is pretty cost-prohibitive.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Sure, we'll change the direction of the satellites JUST FOR YOU.
wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by mk378
The pictures are later stitched together to show the whole land area. This has been done for many decades for civil government purposes such as map making and land use planning.

I think the USDEPT of AG was the first to do this.
I have aerial photos from the 1960's of the crops my grandfather was growing in his fields.

USDA wanted to get a good "census" every year of how many fields of corn, fields of wheat, etc.

Not enough satellites for 24/7 nationwide coverage.
Real time satellite imaging needs to be planned out based on when a specific satellite will be in the right location for pics. Orbits can be changed, but not cheaply.
Most (near) real time imaging is as said, from planes (and drones in combat zones).

I know when Hurricane Harvey flooded everything down here they sent out planes for several days in a row to get current images, and those were still a day behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back