Leaving Amsoil Ea15k filter for 2 oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched on BITOG and it seems like there are a few who are using their Amsoil filters for more than 1 oil change. I'd like to use an Ea15K for another oil change to reach the 15,000 mile mark with a single filter. Is this considered safe? I know there are those who will argue that the filter is cheap enough to just change each time, but do we REALLY need to change the oil filter each time? It seems if the media is strong enough and nothing breaks/wears down, we should be able to reduce waste and keep using the filters?

Originally Posted by metroplex
I'd like to use an Ea15K for another oil change to reach the 15,000 mile mark with a single filter. Is this considered safe?

If your engine is clean inside - - I don't see why not. That is likely a very robustly made filter. (Donaldson?)

Back in the mid-1990's, I ran a Motorcraft FL-1A on a 400M 2bbl V8 in a Ford F250 for 30,000 miles (3x OCI's), and when I cut it apart it looked perfectly fine.

No "failures" of any kind, and just some carbon(?) chunks between the pleats that were just big enough to make it through the oil pump screen.

There's no reason not to leave it at least two changes, if (and only if) the engine has a history (like Linctex's and mine) of leaving very little junk in previous filters.

I did use 1 filter for 2x oil change before . But over the years I like new filter every oil change . Don't matter what filter it's . I like feeling that I have fresh oil filter with fresh oils .

Like some one here saying " it like you take a shower but rewear the old underwater
lol.gif

It's rated for 15k miles so under normal circumstances it should be good for at least 15k. Myself personally I'd leave it for 20k or more if under normal ideal conditions. I'd assume since you take the time to wonder about questions like your asking that you arent one to let your vehicles go unmaintained.

Wouldn't leaving the filter in place be better for the first start after an oil change? Shouldn't the oil build pressure faster? I mean you could prefill the filter, but on many vehicles the oil filter is sideways and not really readily prefillable.

Originally Posted by Deontologist
Wouldn't leaving the filter in place be better for the first start after an oil change? Shouldn't the oil build pressure faster? I mean you could prefill the filter, but on many vehicles the oil filter is sideways and not really readily prefillable.

Million vehicles been install dry oil filter every day , and they still fine . Also on many how to videos from all brand oil filter show how to do an oil change , for example is fram , they don't fill oil on the filter before install . I think first 2-3 second is fine.!

Originally Posted by Deontologist

Well, for that one start among many. With my L83's it's 7 quarts when I leave the filter on and 8 quarts when I change it …
Same with these vertical filters regardless of black or orange or purple ADV …
So, have an RP on one that's going 2 OCI's and an AC Delco that's not …
Both engines probably wear at the same rate …

I left an Amsoil eao20 a long time ago for 3 OCI's with no problems. The filter is now known as the ea15k20.

As an experiment, the last OCI was with this Ea15k20 filter and I had the best ISO oil cleanliness code and

particle counts in a long time. I normally use the Amsoil eao35 filter that is unfortunately no longer made.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
I did use 1 filter for 2x oil change before . But over the years I like new filter every oil change . Don't matter what filter it's . I like feeling that I have fresh oil filter with fresh oils .

Like some one here saying " it like you take a shower but rewear the old underwater
lol.gif

+1

I think if your oil filter is vertical, I can't see any harm in filling the filter before installing. Seems like the thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back