TCW3 and direct injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ran this combination? More so with a turbo? Honda 1.5LT is the engine we have. Almost 20K miles and no oil rise on the dipstick if y'all are wondering.

It's good to remember that a small percentage of the oil added to gasoline (Marvel or TCW-III) will find it's way past the piston rings and into the sump. Over the course of an oil change, with constant use of a gasoline additive, the quantity can be sufficient enough to significantly alter the oil's good characteristics.

Originally Posted by Cujet
It's good to remember that a small percentage of the oil added to gasoline (Marvel or TCW-III) will find it's way past the piston rings and into the sump. Over the course of an oil change, with constant use of a gasoline additive, the quantity can be sufficient enough to significantly alter the oil's good characteristics.

I can see where you're coming from...but most tcw3 adders are doing it at a ratio of 640:1 (5gal gas to one oz TCW3) it's pretty well diluted.

I'm currently running it in my Cmax, b\c of the frequent start/stop nature of the hybrid drivetrain... it does seem to be smoother with the tcw3...

Where does this come from? Who thought a 2-stroke oil added to petrol would be beneficial? I've heard about UCL but there are millions of engines running forever without it...why would you do this? Why don't the oil companies jump on this? Why don't OEM's recommend it?

I think I answered my own questions!

While I'm a TCW3 lover for years - either at 640:1 ratio as gasoline additive, random ratio in IDI engines, or 25:1 in two stroke OPE - I now have one TGDI car and I don't use TCW3 in it because I'm afraid of adverse effects.

What I've seen so far while running TCW3:
+Smoother and quicker cold starts
+Less engine noise at idle and low rpms, all loads
+Less motor oil consumption on engines that burns some on decel
+Prevents sticking float valves and other issues on carburators, keeps them clean and free from deposits
-Some setups experiences a slightly lean running condition/behavior at 640:1 ratio, like my friend's bike engine (Kawasaki Vulcan S, an ER6-derived roadster in custom disguise, injected inline-2, with full decat exhaust)
-can be tricky to keep sealed all times, ends up messy before the end of a quart jug

Thanks fellas. I'll just stick to using PI before each oil change. I know it does wonders on port injection, wasn't sure about DI.

Originally Posted by LotI
Where does this come from? Who thought a 2-stroke oil added to petrol would be beneficial? I've heard about UCL but there are millions of engines running forever without it...why would you do this? Why don't the oil companies jump on this? Why don't OEM's recommend it?

I think I answered my own questions!

My cars engine is old and tired, using TCW3 slows my oil consumption a bit. Mostly I use it for the warm fuzzy feeling it gives me, not the car!
lol.gif
Certainly isn't doing any harm to lube that old fuel pump in there a bit either. The car was fine without it, but it's a little better with it, plus up to 40% more warm fuzzies a gallon

Someplace on here I have an image of the soot on my tailpipe while running tcw-3. I always dosed light, and it went away when I stopped.

My hope was some HPFP lubrication and fuel
Stabilization, both more important to me than UC lube. But if it's coming out as soot, it's doing no better anywhere else.

Diesels are a bit different in that diesel fuel is more oily and the combustion process is more ideal for the heavier ends.

Fuel injected gas engines also have the whole fuel on valve and vaporization thing going, which makes me less concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back