Just did my 1st CVT fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having done many ATF changes since the 1970s(although we did fewer then it seems), I did my first CVT fluid change on the Altima in my signature. The Civic will be next(~July).

It went very well as I only did a D&F, replacing the amount that drained out of the tranny drain pan. I had the car on level ground on 4 Rhino Ramps. These cars do not have a dipstick so, I have my own dipstick as a guideline prior to draining the CVT fluid

After watching many Youtube videos of my exact car/engine/tranny, Youtubers were re adding anywhere between 3qts/12oz, 3.5 qts all the way to ~5.5 qts. I removed & replaced 3qts/26oz. I also checked the overflow area(14mm bolt) and I got the normal drizzle which seems to be required.

I used Castrol Transmax CVT fluid which covers the 2 cars(Altima-NS-3 & Civic-HCF-2) in my signature. I took the car for a ride(~7 miles) and then check the fluid with the engine running and after turning off the engine. I have baselines for all of my measurements of the fluid. All fluid levels are where they were prior to my D&F...again, I have baselines marked/scratched into my dipstick.

The tranny feels just like it did prior to changing and just as when new. I don't feel any difference which I guess, is a good thing as I really like this CVT...I know, I know!

I don't have any questions but you may so, feel free to ask and I'll answer if I can.

CB

Last edited:
2013? This was the first year without dipsticks. You mean a 2012?

I tried many different types of dipsticks(just for baseline readings) from when new. And you'll never believe what works.
The oil(not tranny) dipstick from the Firebird in my signature. Slips right down the filler tube and I am able to get a reading that that I can use as my baseline. But, I may in fact buy a dipstick from a 2012 Altima as you & others have.

I too will be doing a D/F on our 2017 Rogue Sport when the car reaches around 20k mi. (Debating whether to drop the pan and clean the magnates.) I also fabricated a transmission dipstick for a baseline measurement. BUT, this is assuming the factory put the correct amount initially in. (There's also the overflow plug to reach.) On our transmission there's a cartridge filter as well that's super easy to change out! Very nice. I already ordered this part. One question: How did the fluid look? We too really like our CVT Rogue Sport. At least Nissan has a fill tube! My VW has the most insane transmission filling method. (I fixed that with my own solution.) May I ask what viscosity oil you're using? Ours is recommended a 0w-20 which I'm not comfortable with so I start using a 50% mix of 0w-20/5w-30. Later on 5w-30 solely. Safe travels!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Just another good reason not to buy a Nissan.

Hey J.J. they are a comfortable nice driving CUV. unlike many. At least the 2014 Rogue Select I owned was.

This wasn't a rocket to the moon kind of job, really.

There are good Nissans, just like Subaru's, but their best models are built in the Japanese Domestic plants with a minimum departures from JDM spec. Subaru's from Indinana (specializing in corn and having the worst small city in the US) and Nissan/Infiniti's from Tennessee (specializing in moonshine and civil war reenactments) are generally not as well built as their Japanese counterparts.

Just had a customer contact me today about their 2012 Sentra. Got a P0965 and car will not move, forward or back. Has a little under 60k on it but not sure what month it was made. Told them to call a dealer to see if they have any warranty left.

Please do NOT buy a nissan with a CVT or let family or friends do so. Not a question if the CVT will fail, just when.

I used Castrol Transmax CVT fluid which covers the 2 cars(Altima-NS-3 & Civic-HCF-2) in my signature. I took the car for a ride(~7 miles) and then check the fluid with the engine running and after turning off the engine. I have baselines for all of my measurements of the fluid. All fluid levels are where they were prior to my D&F...again, I have baselines marked/scratched into my dipstick.

CB

Oh NO!!! Thats a good CVT fluid but its the wrong color. If you ever have a CVT issue nissan will try to deny based on color, red, alone. I use Valvoline in Nissans for that reason.

Originally Posted by MCompact
As far as Nissans go, I'd gladly take a 370Z.

Unfortunately, that's the one.

And it'd be a terrible decision to buy one new.

i am a shifty guy aka manual tranny only, but girlfriend is a slusher + when looking to trade her oil drinkin 13 malibu LS 2.5L i advised her NO CVT regardless of manufacturer. she got a nice 8,000 mile 2018 kia optima with a conventional automatic + she loves it except NO CD player!! driving it IMO it shames the malibu all around + i hope it server her well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Good to see you don't follow the lifetime fluid nonsense automakers are pushing.
And if you feel no change in transmission behaviour, to me that's a good indicator that the old fluid was still good. Which some may argue is a waste, but I'd rather change early than too late.

Well, with 51,400 miles on the OE fluid, it looked great when draining and between my fingers. I realize that color is no indication of fluid condition(thanks MolaKule). Only when the whole 3.75 qts was in my WHITE drain pan did the fluid look dark.

Then I dumped the old fluid into a new/clean 1 gallon jug as a secondary way to measure the new fluid. I did this by dumping the same amount of NEW CVT fluid into another clean 1 gallon jug side-by-side(as a baseline). It happened to worked very well, as my fill level was right on(+/- a glug). But, I only used the clean jugs as another baseline to measure fluid going back in the tranny. Very non-technical I know!

I received a case of BRAND NEW unused 1 gallon jugs(e.g. windshield washer fluid) from a friend of mine to use as needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimzz
Just had a customer contact me today about their 2012 Sentra. Got a P0965 and car will not move, forward or back. Has a little under 60k on it but not sure what month it was made. Told them to call a dealer to see if they have any warranty left.

Please do NOT buy a nissan with a CVT or let family or friends do so. Not a question if the CVT will fail, just when.

CB

Oh NO!!! Thats a good CVT fluid but its the wrong color. If you ever have a CVT issue nissan will try to deny based on color, red, alone. I use Valvoline in Nissans for that reason.

That's illegal for them to deny. 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act...

We got 20K on our 18 CRV. I'm going to wait till 30K to do the first fluid change. Either with Honda brand or Amsoil. Haven't decided yet.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Good to see you don't follow the lifetime fluid nonsense automakers are pushing.
And if you feel no change in transmission behaviour, to me that's a good indicator that the old fluid was still good. Which some may argue is a waste, but I'd rather change early than too late.

Well, with 51,400 miles on the OE fluid, it looked great when draining and between my fingers. I realize that color is no indication of fluid condition(thanks MolaKule). Only when the whole 3.75 qts was in my WHITE drain pan did the fluid look dark.

... .

It more about the excessive wear-in mud from the pusher belt and the sheaves screwing up the hydraulic logic than the fluid going "bad"

Though. some FM gets used up. I will tell you That fluid really does expand when hot. My Nissan has a dipstick and it went up over and inch from cold to hot!

I beat my CVT mercelessly and I had the older design. In the Rogue select (Made IN Japan) I was shifing it up and down and trans braking all the time... No Issues. I did a drain and fill at about 30K. an this is me ME! Arco the car killer!

Good work Char! Glad you got it done easily. I too will be using a 'suitable for use' CVT fluid once my warranty is out.

When I do the cold drain/fills on our Nissan Quest's CVT, I dump the drain pan into a (cleanish) empty 5qt engine oil jug so I can somewhat accurately measure the amount that drained out. I have checked level by the level check port with the vehicle warmed and idling in park. Just a dribble then.

The nice thing about Nissan CVTs is they are easy for DIY fluid service. I don't know that I've ever heard of a failure where the fluid had been changed starting around that 30-50K mile mark.

I forgot to ask, how was it defeating the stupid locking cap on the dipstick? I know it was a bear on my 2016 Quest removing it for the first time without breaking it.

Ironically, I just went through the same thing with my 2015 Nissan Versa S with the 4spd automatic. The lovely folks at Nissan decided to 'upgrade' this ancient 4spd in 2014 with the same locking cap on the dummy dipstick tube that the CVTs use. That was a serious knuckle buster, but I got the SOB and filed off the locking tab on it for when I swap some ATF on it.

Originally Posted by JTK
I forgot to ask, how was it defeating the stupid locking cap on the dipstick? I know it was a bear on my 2016 Quest removing it for the first time without breaking it.

Ironically, I just went through the same thing with my 2015 Nissan Versa S with the 4spd automatic. The lovely folks at Nissan decided to 'upgrade' this ancient 4spd in 2014 with the same locking cap on the dummy dipstick tube that the CVTs use. That was a serious knuckle buster, but I got the SOB and filed off the locking tab on it for when I swap some ATF on it.

I put the cap on backwards. I hate that tab.
The cap ain't going anywhere.

Originally Posted by JTK
Good work Char! Glad you got it done easily. I too will be using a 'suitable for use' CVT fluid once my warranty is out.

When I do the cold drain/fills on our Nissan Quest's CVT, I dump the drain pan into a (cleanish) empty 5qt engine oil jug so I can somewhat accurately measure the amount that drained out. I have checked level by the level check port with the vehicle warmed and idling in park. Just a dribble then.

The nice thing about Nissan CVTs is they are easy for DIY fluid service. I don't know that I've ever heard of a failure where the fluid had been changed starting around that 30-50K mile mark.

Thanks! That's good info and reassuring.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back