time based timing belt change question

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 year old Ford truck, guys. Manual says change timing belt at 80,000 miles but makes no mention of time allowed. I am nowhere near 80,000 miles and I'm getting uncomfortable with the engine now at 10-year old mark. How much longer can I stretch it? I drive normally, no towing done.

The gates manual (on my old civic) says change belts NLT every 6 years (I'm not advocating that interval, I'm just reporting it). I'd look at the manufacturer (of the belt, not the car) manual and see what they have to say, if anything.

My car's OM said something like 100,000km (60,000 miles) or 5 years.

I picked up a new-to-me low milage car, very low milage, but over 6 years old, so I changed my cam belt on time not miles and did the water pump & coolant at the same time.

if your engine is an interference type where the valves and pistons can collide when the cam(s) and crank go out of sync then you should change it. Rubber degrades with age even if not being used (driven around). If there is no chance of the valves and pistons colliding then you could continue to drive around untill it breaks and leaves you stranded at which point you would need to have the belt replaced of course.

Originally Posted by berniedd
10 year old Ford truck, guys. Manual says change timing belt at 80,000 miles but makes no mention of time allowed. I am nowhere near 80,000 miles and I'm getting uncomfortable with the engine now at 10-year old mark. How much longer can I stretch it? I drive normally, no towing done.

Change it. Do not try and stretch it, the part has gone its service life.

You bring up an excellent point, about how a timing belt change is supposed to be done whether it is needed to or not, preventative maintenance. Because even if you have an interference engine, which most engines are and a small and select few are not. If it snaps on you, the interference engine has a strong chance of being done for, best case scenario a valve job which means head off. The non-interference engine may not be damaged, but still will not run home.

I remember the interval being something like 10 years or 100,000-110,000 miles, or if not previously known when it was changed. This always meant to me that you buy a used car, if the previous owner changed it yesterday and did not document it, you should change it again to be sure. Because maybe it is the original timing belt that came with the car. Same with spark plugs, do you know when they were last changed? Without records, all you have is a visual inspection and same with battery, is it the OEM style battery? This is your only clue.

Do you feel like your belt may be in a position where its condition is starting to deteriorate? You do not seem to be too hard on your Ford truck, this probably how most people use their vehicles, though severe service can constitute if you have to stop at a few lights or stop signs on the way to wherever you are going. The more lights you stop at, the more severe. The timing belt stays in its own sealed compartment on the side or front of the engine, depending, and you have a belt not a chain, okay.. I would agree that age can be a factor in if they snap on you.

You got a 5.4 Windsor? a 4.6? A V-10? 10 years old, so it cannot be a 4.9 I-6.. ? 3 Valve?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
What Ford truck in 2009 had an engine with a timing belt?

4 Cylinder Ranger in other markets maybe. USA spec would have had 2.3 DOHC which is chain I believe but Ford is known to be a generation behind in for instance South America and Brazil.

FWIW, the owners manual for the Civic says 10 years.

Last edited:

My Honda V6 maintenance schedule required TB replacement at 7 years or 105K miles. Car had 8 years and 75k miles on it. Called the dealer to have this done. They told me they go by miles driven and to forget the time requirement. This was from a Honda dealer.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
The Ranger with a 2.5.

You got it right.

Thanks, all.

No such thing that was a 2.3 duratec OHC chain motor

The Pinto engine was done at the turn of the Century.

BUZZZ.

Try Again
smile.gif

berniedd

So your truck is older than ten years ?

I know of no ten year old . Ford truck engine that would have a timing belt.

Plus the Lima engine was Non interference IIRC.

Are you not in the U.S. of A.?

Edumicate me.

Last edited:
Probably a Australian or Middle East/Asian diesel powered Ranger.

Brand new OE Quality Timing Belt Kit + water pump for Ford Ranger PJ PK 2.5L 3.0L diesel engine 2006-2011.

Application:

Ford Ranger PJ WLAT 2.5L WEAT 3.0L 12/2006-03/2009

Ford Ranger PK WLAT 2.5L WEAT 3.0L 04/2009-08/2011

Mazda BT50 UN WLAT 2.5L WEAT 3.0L 11/2006-10/2011

Last edited:
Not sure about the age thing. Depending on climate, It holds up fine. Our first 05 sienna we had done at about 9 years and 150k kms. After selling that one and picking up my folks 05 Sienna that had 30k kms on it a couple of years ago (62k kms now), it is still running on the original timing belt going on 15 years. I had a look at it a little while ago and it looks perfect...no cracks, chips and the writing is still perfect on the outside. It looks completely new. I won't change it until around 100k kms and drive the van without worry.

That being said, our climate is easy on rubber, unlike hot places in the US. Tires easily go 10+ years without visually aging and i know the original set of tires for this van are still in use with the first van we sold.

The last year for the 2.5L was 2001 and it was a non-interference engine. Starting mid-year 2001 Ford switched to the Duratec 2.3L DOHC and it has a timing chain.

Berniedd hit and ran. Maybe he's out doing the belt
smile.gif

Must agree with Trav on the non Stateside motor.

Wish the OP would give specifics on vehicle when asking such a question instead of making it a guessing game and wasting E-ink
smile.gif

10 year old Ford truck leaves a lot of wiggle room for guessing. But at least in the U.S. there were no dry cam timing system engines made in that period.

Now I gotta go look up the diesel. Too bad none in the U.S. Imagine a $19K 4 banger diesel 2wd stick Ranger.

A legend! .

I usually do timing belts at 10 years if they do not hit mileage for most vehicles. If its a known failure/issue car then earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back