Recommend oil for 2020 Kia Soul 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
New 2020 Kia Soul 2.0L, which is now running on the Hyundai Kona platform (Atkinson-cycle 2.0 I-4) beginning with the 2020 model year. Manufacturer specs 5w20 for this engine. Familiar with 0w20 flavors from my previous vehicle (2014 Mazda 5 2.5L); wondering what the better overall syn choice is in 5w20. Appreciate any and all input.

I've tried multiple brands of oil in my Nu 2.0L, and it seems like it's not super picky. However, I've only run QSUD in 5W-20 and M1 AFE in 0W-20. I didn't see much difference in either of those versus the 5W-30, so I've stuck with 5W-30. I'd run any quality oil (synthetic probably, since you can pick it up on sale/with rebates for the price of conventional) and an OEM filter and call it a day.

Check your manual too. My 2017 Elantra has the 2.0 Atkinson engine. The manual shows both 5w20 and 5w30 for the same temp range, and if it doesn't drop below 0*, then 10w30 is also listed.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by Hoot_r
New 2020 Kia Soul 2.0L, which is now running on the Hyundai Kona platform (Atkinson-cycle 2.0 I-4) beginning with the 2020 model year. Manufacturer specs 5w20 for this engine. Familiar with 0w20 flavors from my previous vehicle (2014 Mazda 5 2.5L); wondering what the better overall syn choice is in 5w20. Appreciate any and all input.

I believe it also specs 5W30 and that's my choice year-round and perfect for Virginia.

Buy any major name-brand. But what counts most is NOT the name on the label, but how long you run the oil. I suggest 5K OCIs (city/highway mix) after running the factory-fill for 3K.

Just be sure to run SN Plus / Dex2-Gen1 specs. Mobil-1, Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil are all real good.

Thanks for mentioning the OEM filter -- already identified several purchase options online. Apparently Hyundai/Kia is picky about this refs drivetrain warranty (their filters have certain flow characteristics, perhaps?), so we'll play along and keep them happy. Examples I've seen so far are marked "Mann-Hummel, Korea", part number 26300-35504.

Use an OEM filter if you like, but don't feel forced to. We've heard the whole "hyundai/kia is picky about oil filters" thing for a long time over many engines. It's just a blanket statement now.

They cannot deny your warranty for using a non-oem filter.

Havoline ProDS 5w20/30 SN+/D1G2 in the 6qt box for $19.97 @ Wally's + OE filter while under warranty. Hard to beat at $3.32qt!

Last edited:
Correct Joe

The vehicles made in the last few years don;t have the oil filter issues of the past. You can even use a highest trapping Fram Ultra and that engine will be fine and free of noise.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Just be sure to run SN Plus / Dex2-Gen1 specs. Mobil-1, Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil are all real good.

Used M1 AFE 0w20 in my previous vehicle exclusively; have been looking at vanilla M1 as a possibility for this one. Castrol Edge is another I'm considering.

Originally Posted by JoelB

Unless it's determined the non OE filter was the cause of engine damage.

Thanks for mentioning the OEM filter -- already identified several purchase options online. Apparently Hyundai/Kia is picky about this refs drivetrain warranty (their filters have certain flow characteristics, perhaps?), so we'll play along and keep them happy. Examples I've seen so far are marked "Mann-Hummel, Korea", part number 26300-35504.[

They're not that expensive. $6 on Amazon and you might get them for less or same from the dealership.

Last edited:
I'd suggest Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and factory filter.
That oil proved to be great in my Kias, factory filter is of very high quality and is cheap compared to other filters of comparable quality.

On my Nu 2.0 it likes most oils. I have used 5w-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum with good results. It loves 10w-30 Chevron Supreme. Very quiet. Using that now with a Fram Ultra filter but also use the OEM oil filter. Regarding warranty I have seen nothing in my owner's manual that I have to only use a Hyundai oil filter. It does state I need to change my oil every 6-months or 3,750 miles so that is what I do. Do what makes you sleep well at night.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

This would become and issue for the filter manufacturer then, not you personally. There is no risk running an aftermarket filter on a warrantied car.

If i remember correctly the OEM filters (at least in the recent past) had very low filtration numbers.

On my Nu 2.0, I use QSUD 5w30 year-round. It's colder up here than in VA and the engine stays nice and quiet with it.

QSUD 10w30 is an excellent oil and excellent value...For an ILSAC oil.

Only use OEM oil filter unless you are well versed in science.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

This would become and issue for the filter manufacturer then, not you personally. There is no risk running an aftermarket filter on a warrantied car.

If i remember correctly the OEM filters (at least in the recent past) had very low filtration numbers.

True, it is an issue for the filter mfg but the car mfg is not under any obligation to subrogate the warranty claim. Read the M-M Act.

The filter mfg isn't a co-warrantor...the vehicle mfg can and will deny YOUR claim, forcing you (the aggrieved party) to seek relief from the responsibile party (aggrievor (sp)) for the damages. If you try and go after the vehicle mfg they're going to tell you to shake a leg, your beef isn't with them and they're not going to be on the hook for damages done by a non OE part.

Again, read the entire Act.

Following this logic, you have to use the dealer's oil only

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back