crank and water pump pulleys stuck

so changing the waterpump and doing timing belt too iv hit a snag where the water pump pulley is stuck to the pump even though iv removed the bolts that hold the pulley on. same with the crank pulley iv got the crank pulley bolt off but the pulley is still stuck on and pulling it doesnt seem to get it loose. any ideas on what i can do?
pics attached.

20190617_091542.jpg

20190617_110131.jpg

If the pulleys are keyed (the crank appears to be), then maybe it's just a close fit. A three-armed puller would probably persuade them off. Be careful, it shouldn't take a lot of tension. If you find you're having to really crank on the puller bolt, STOP or you may bend the pulley. Ask me how I know. Other pulleys may be press fit on, and need a puller that grips the pulley hub.

Will try some penetrating oil. Those pullies last came off 13 years ago

Reactions: JC1
awsome i will give that a go tomorrow. i just went out now and soaked it again in penetrating fluid.

crank pulley came off, did as advised above, penetrating oil then rubber hammer and its off.
water pump pulley is still stuck on. iv doused it again with penetrating oil. will try again on it later.

For future reference, I would take a pry bar and pry behind the pulley and hit the shaft with a hammer. Works every time and no chance of bending your pulley w/a puller.

Thanks. Dunno what to do with waterpump pulley. I think the entire pump can come out with pulley attached. Will have to take the cam belt off first and the tensioner too.

Originally Posted by slybunda
I think the entire pump can come out with pulley attached.

In many cases, the pulley is not intended to be removed in the field. The pump and pulley are a unit.

The one on this car is supposed to be a removable pulley that then transfers over to the new pump.

If you can get it out of the car it will be much easier to remove.

It looks like now that you have the crank pulley off, the lower timing cover and the timing belt have to come off next to be able to unbolt the pump.

Last edited:
yep next step take timing belt and its pullies off.
also the crank pulley is a bit rusty, is there any issues with wire brushing it and hitting it with some rust converter and a coat of paint? or is that not advised to do on it?

took the belt off and the entire waterpump with pulley attached. also i think i solved the issue thats plagued me for over 3 years. constant high rpm driving causes engine temperature to rise. temperature drops back down if coasting in neutral or top gear is engaged:
new pump on and played it smart by pressure testing the system before fitting cam belt back on.
new belt has some slack between the camshaft pulleys, i have read i need a sprocket holding tool to loosen the sprockets and then tension the belt. so tool is now on order.

20190620_122125.jpg

20190620_142240.jpg

20190620_143523.jpg

no thats the 1995 ford fiesta. i dont think the car or the engine was available in america. attached is a better pic of the engine.

also iv put up a pic of the original timing belt i made paint marks on it on the cams and one on the crank. i transferred the paint marks onto the new belt and fitted the belt and the paint marks all align up but there is more belt slack between the cam pulleys with the new belt than there was with the old belt. why would that be?

IMG_20151031_161447.jpg

20190620_111329.jpg

You're likely off a tooth. Meaning your paint marks were off a tooth when you transferred them. Start over and you want ALL of your slack on the tensioner side.

Ahh i think you may be right. I just counted the teeth in my photo and i think i am 1 tooth out.
I know the belts are the same lenght i counted 131 teeth on both new and old belt.

just took a photo of the new belt and attached it below. my previous post shows the old belt and its markings. i counted again and it is correct the same number of teeth between the 2 cam pulleys. i tried to stretch the belt over by 1 more tooth but it wont go its too tight. looks like its half a tooth too loose so will have to wait for cam pulley tool to arrive so i can loosen the pulleys so they free wheel and then tension the belt.

20190621_075907.jpg

Turn the cam pulley on the tensioner side back to get one tooth tighter and pull the belt tight between the cams by rotating the cam pulley clock wise. Make sure the timing marks line up. You may have to pull the belt off completely and start over

Last edited:
Back