iam a confused old man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Kias have Quartz oil logo printed in manuals but nowhere it says I need to use that oil. They list certifications, standards and viscosity and that's what matters.

Originally Posted by Nyyt
I'm in my 40's due to a bunch of medical issues had to give up doing my own oil changes. There is a garage down the street that will left me bring my own oil and filter in they only charge me 25$ The local honda dealers will do it for me for 25$. Check around most places should be able to accommodate you.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Absolutely can be done this way.

My step father stopped doing his own oil changes about 8 years ago and he did what the member above did and does... Works great for him now.

Walmart will change your oil for cheap when you provide the oil and filter.

While Hyundai recommends QS or Helix, at the same time they also recommend ACEA A5 in some applications, which QS no longer qualifies for.

I'd use Pennzoil Platinum as it meets the ACEA A5 spec if these engines call for it like the 1.6T GDI does, in 5w30, and an OEM oil filter as they can be had for very well built

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
What do they owners manuals say???

Hyundai/Kia have been 7,500 miles/6 month for normal service, 3,750 miles/6 month for severe service for quite a while.
I know my '04 Hyundai Elantra was 7,500 miles/6 months for normal service and 3,000 miles/3 months for severe service (not sure when the severe interval went from 3,000 to 3,750).

Also, the list for what is severe service is almost any driving condition, and meeting one of these puts you into severe service.
  • Repeated short distance driving.
  • Driving in dusty conditions or sandy areas.
  • Extensive use of brakes.
  • Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used.
  • Driving on rough or muddy roads.
  • Driving in mountainous areas.
  • Extended periods of idling or low speed operation.
  • Driving for a prolonged period in cold temperatures and/or extremely humid climates.
  • More than 50% driving in heavy city traffic during

This is why many (including me) recommend/follow a 5,000 mile interval for most Hyundai/Kia vehicles, right in the middle of the normal/severe interval since that is where many are.
If under warranty and you're worried about it, do it every 6 months if mileage not reached, if not in warranty or not worried about it, then annual if mileage not reached.

Originally Posted by talest
[
Get a shop to put in what it says on the cap, there is no magic here.

In this order, this is what I would do. Fwiw, I have a bad back that needs surgery so doing oil changes is getting harder for me too...

A) Call your local dealership and see if they have oil change pkgs. My local Kia does and it brings the price down to a reasonable level. I think the 10 changes pkg works out to just under $30. Obviously the advantage here is the service is done by the Kia dealership.

B) find a local service center that uses a quality oil and won't balk at you providing the filter. Some shops won't do customer supplied parts. Fwiw, the shop that did my alignment last year uses Kendall syn, syn blend and conventional. This shop did charge the most I found at around $45 but from time to time they run a $29.99 coupon in the local mailer and it's the exact same Kendall oil. They don't stock anything else.

B) Or if I were to pick a quick lube, I'd choose Valvoline oil change centers. They will use a quality oil and they typically won't balk at you asking to use your own filter. Bulk filters represent the least expensive part of the oil change, so don't expect a price adjustment. Valvoline always seems to be running a special on their oil changes. Usually around $40 in my area.

Last edited:
My Hyundai dealer in San Antonio always runs an oil change deal on their syn blend oil change.

Either $24.99, $29.99, or $34.99.

For that price, and their quick service I change it every 3750.

I would stick with the dealer as you get a Hyundai filter which has been setup to deal with the pressure spikes these engines are known for. Also they change the crush washer every time and list it on the invoice.

I'll probably never do an oil change myself on this car again, my time is worth more than that.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Wait for the OLM to go off, then take the car to Hyudai for an oil/filter change... like 99% of the population. No shame in it, and your cars will be fine.

My new Hyundai Santa Fe has an OLM? I'm at 4K now. Wonder when it will signal me? My next oil change is scheduled at late November or 8K, whichever comes first.
Does this OLM even know I changed the oil at 3K?

Now I'm possibly a more confused old man (67) than this thread-topic starter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Does this OLM even know I changed the oil at 3K?

It shouldn't unless you told it by resetting it.
wink.gif

Hello
If I were if your shoes I would start off by reading what the manual recommends (the engineers that developed the vehicles helped write what's in this). It should specify what your cars require in terms of oil and the frequency they should be changed at.

Secondly, I would look for a reputable mechanic near you. Yelp is a great resource and so is google reviews. Make sure they have a big pool of reviews however. Word of mouth from neighbors and friends in terms of a good mechanic works too. Once you go to the mechanic make sure you ask what type of oil and filter they use and any other questions you may have. I hope this helps! Have a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back