Brakes on my F250

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could hear the brakes screeching on my F250 and made an appt for Thur to get pads and rotors done. No time to do them myself.

Backing out of my daughters drive today one of the front pads fell off in the driveway.

I was surprised since I really had not let the brakes go (very much).

How does a pad fall out of a caliper mounted on the truck? I mean, it's pretty much captive between the caliper bracket and caliper. You can't change pads without removing the caliper.

Originally Posted by atikovi
How does a pad fall out of a caliper mounted on the truck? I mean, it's pretty much captive between the caliper bracket and caliper. You can't change pads without removing the caliper.

A WAG is that the friction pad separated from the steel backing plate and fell out.

Originally Posted by Kruse

A WAG is that the friction pad separated from the steel backing plate and fell out.

That would be my guess as well could have rusted out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kruse

My guess too. I had that happen on a pad that still had 3/4 of the material left. Rustbelt problems. Although 4 years old is a bit early I'd think, on my vehicles around the 5 year mark is where I've seen the start of delamination.

Here is what we found on the driveway.

IMG_20190617_065006.jpg

IMG_20190617_065012.jpg

Dang. And people say I'm weird for pulling my brakes apart on a yearly basis--I have to wonder if you have a frozen slider pin or the like to take out a pad that fast.

That pad backing plate looks pretty thin, like it had been like that for some time... I wouldn't drive it now, it must be piston on rotor now.

On the flip side you didn't lose brakes like I did (pedal to the floor until the piston pumped up).

I can only imagine what the condition of the frame and underpinnings must be. Road salt FTW!

Originally Posted by Donald
I could hear the brakes screeching on my F250 and made an appt for Thur to get pads and rotors done. No time to do them myself.
I was surprised since I really had not let the brakes go (very much).

I'm having a hard time seeing how this happened.
There's no friction material left at all, and the backing plate is worn severely.

Most people are aware of a brake wear issue before they get to this serious condition.

It was worn down to metal for some time then it was about to wear down to nothing. The screeching sound of metal on metal means replace pads and rotors immediately. You will only get a few stops like that before the final stage where nothing happens when you press the brake pedal.

Originally Posted by Donald
Here is what we found on the driveway.

Must have been a nice sparkler fireworks show at every stop light

Originally Posted by thastinger

Must have been a nice sparkler fireworks show at every stop light

Hmmmm.... Brake rotors are likely just cast iron or cast steel,

and the brake pads are most likely mild steel - - so probably not so much

So I know I needed brakes, but was not aware I was down to no brake pad. Getting brakes on Thur. Not driving until then except to the shop.

The vehicles gets sprayed yearly with CarWell so no rust on frame or body. Brakes cannot sprayed.

I'll second the Hawk LTS pads as a good truck pad. They dust but the braking performance was more important to me than aesthetics. They also were a great passenger card pad (not the LTS version there) with more bite than akebono. I'm usually an akebono guy for passenger vehicles but they've left me wanting with truck duty.

I'm watching the raybestos EHT - I've yet to read a complaint against them.

Our '18 F150 braking could use a bit more bite, though I'll say this - in tow mode it seems to me that the braking is different - I'm having a hard time thinking the valving is altered by that mode, but I've played with it several times and I do not lack for braking when the trailer is connected, and empty in that mode there seems to be more bite. I wonder if they are changing the rear brake bias in that mode.

The heavy duty trucks by all manufacturers are surprisingly well insulated and isolated. Probably done with expectations of diesel power. Shut the door, and noise gets cut down surprisingly.

Metal to metal in the brakes makes a sound like a skateboard rolling on pavement a great distance away. No spark shower either.

Pads can fall out because the pad gets pushed past the "track" it's on to secure it to the caliper.

Originally Posted by meep
I'll second the Hawk LTS pads as a good truck pad. They dust but the braking performance was more important to me than aesthetics. They also were a great passenger card pad (not the LTS version there) with more bite than akebono. I'm usually an akebono guy for passenger vehicles but they've left me wanting with truck duty.

I'm watching the raybestos EHT - I've yet to read a complaint against them.

Our '18 F150 braking could use a bit more bite, though I'll say this - in tow mode it seems to me that the braking is different - I'm having a hard time thinking the valving is altered by that mode, but I've played with it several times and I do not lack for braking when the trailer is connected, and empty in that mode there seems to be more bite. I wonder if they are changing the rear brake bias in that mode.

Most tow modes change the transmission's behavioral profile to use downshifting, gear holding, converter lockup, and engine braking to slow the truck faster.

This is most obvious in diesels with exhaust brakes. In tow mode, I can enter an exit zone at 75mph, go through the exit, and continue on my way without ever touching the brake pedal.

The Super Duty vans I have rented in the past default to tow mode. Difference can be felt in a major way. All transmission.

^^^ that makes more sense than an expensive solenoid in a brake proportioning valve. tow mode does hold the engine at higher rpms, which might also give me more vacuum than normal - pedal feel changes slightly. Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back