Checked out a 2019 Ford Ranger, Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have driven it but had no desire to after the walk around and sit-in. It was a crew cab 4x4 XLT. I had high hopes that it would look larger or at least have a better stance than the Colorado/Canyons I have been looking at. Many people may like the new Ranger, I just didn't see anything revolutionary or particularly competitive about the size and styling vs. it's main competition the Colorado/Canyon. I do think the power train look impressive on paper and I'm sure it lives up to that impression in motion behind the wheel, but something I'm considering dropping about 35K bones on has to speak to me aesthetically, I'm weird that way. The new Ranger didn't. Not really a slam, just not my cup of tea on the outside and the interior was unimpressive as well. I left feeling bad for Ford, because I do like the brand, feeling like they could've done better.

In other news, I hear Dodge is considering bringing the Dakota back. Now that will be interesting.

I hear ya. I was a big, big Ford fan boy. Honestly now I don't like anything they currently offer.
27.gif
I'm looking forward to the Bronco, but I already have my doubts about it.

I saw my first new Ford aluminum truck with the peeling paint syndrome. Ford still has not figured it out. The top of this truck had big flakes sticking around the ridges on the roof. I will never BUY another Ford. Lease it and get rid of it if you like paint.

Of "some" interest. The Ecoboost engine from the Ranger is now available for marine use. They require 15W-50 oil......

For the same money, you can get an F-150 STX with a 2.7 Ecoboost. Rear wheel drive of course. Or, you can get a Ram 1500 Classic with a 3.6 Pentastar, rear wheel drive.

Last edited:
Ford gave us an old truck and thought people would fall for it. I guess it didn't work because I never see any on the road. Truthfully, maybe a handful at the most since its debut. I see more Ridgelines LOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
For the same money, you can get an F-150 STX with a 2.7 Ecoboost ...

And THAT is why they stopped making them in the first place ... because people think they LIKE THE IDEA of a smaller truck, but when they realize that an F-150 is just a bit more expensive, they BUY the F-150.

A Ford dealer near me has a new 2019 Ranger 4X4 with a 6' bed for a $29275 asking price if you don't own or lease a 95' up Ford product.
I can get a new 2019 Tacoma access cab 4X4 automatic with the 2.7L 4 for $26881 or a V6 for $31511.
That is before negotiating. https://www.roushford.com/new/Ford/2019-Ford-Ranger-7bcd67e70a0e0adf57a2e0f47ba3ec0f.htm

I like the Ford over the Tacoma except for knowing the Tacoma is probably more reliable.
When it comes to full size, the Ram blows Chevy and Ford out of the water in terms of ride quality, the best automatic of the big three and having a nicer interior.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by MParr
For the same money, you can get an F-150 STX with a 2.7 Ecoboost ...

And THAT is why they stopped making them in the first place ... because people think they LIKE THE IDEA of a smaller truck, but when they realize that an F-150 is just a bit more expensive, they BUY the F-150.

This! ^^^ History is repeating itself.

Scott

Originally Posted by Cujet
Of "some" interest. The Ecoboost engine from the Ranger is now available for marine use. They require 15W-50 oil......

No CAFE requirements for boats!
grin.gif

My issue with them is they seem really high priced compared to a 1/2 ton. Also the MPG is very similar. Full size was a no brainer for me.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
A Ford dealer near me has a new 2019 Ranger 4X4 with a 6' bed for a $29275 asking price if you don't own or lease a 95' up Ford product.
I can get a new 2019 Tacoma access cab 4X4 automatic with the 2.7L 4 for $26881 or a V6 for $31511.
That is before negotiating. https://www.roushford.com/new/Ford/2019-Ford-Ranger-7bcd67e70a0e0adf57a2e0f47ba3ec0f.htm

If I was choosing between this Ranger for $29,275... a crapbox in silver with silver painted steel wheels... OR for several hundred less... a silver 2 year old F-150 4x4 Crew cab, nicely equipped with 41,000 miles.... I wouldn't be driving that Ranger at all.

https://www.roushford.com/used/Ford/2017-Ford-F-150-c02221300a0e0a173ca8616601902703.htm

Originally Posted by K20FA5
My issue with them is they seem really high priced compared to a 1/2 ton. Also the MPG is very similar. Full size was a no brainer for me.
They can't make them significantly cheaper than full sized trucks without cannibalizing that market. I also think that increased safety/collision stuff has made them closer in weight to a full sized truck than twenty years ago.

I just looked at ford.ca and the Ranger starts at $30k v the F150 at $28k. I thought that was because it was four-door only, but the Ranger comes in a two-door as a base model.

You would think they could sell it cheaper than that, but I don't get who would buy that? A truck for someone who can't/doesn't want to drive a full sized truck? Someone who wants to be different? I thought Rangers were supposed to come with manual transmissions, too?

Originally Posted by Cujet

I bet if you started a thread on this in the PCMO forum, you would still get people advising to try a 5w-30 anyway.

The "thick vs. thin" has only been a discussion once in the Marine industry, and the company that pushed the envelope paid dearly for their mistake.

The issue with the Ranger (and why it sat in development limbo for so long) is because they don't really know what to do with a mini truck. I can't say I blame them either.

With most pickup buyers opting for crew cab, the CUVs are going to gut this segment pretty easily. Those targeted on a true pickup will shop upmarket.

I went to Barrett Jackson in January and there was a new Colorado and a new Ranger. I went and sat in the Colorado, nice truck. Then I went over to the Ranger, too many people waiting to get in it so I left, but I was unimpressed. It looks pretty small, and as a tall guy, it's a big no from me. Also the looks of it are pretty vanilla IMO.

Ford (and GM) forgot what these trucks were for- Affordable trucks to get you hooked to be the bigger model down the road. These trucks weren't as fancy, but they were affordable. Heck, after my s10 I was looking at a Silverado.....

Nothing wrong with having a few higher priced models, but they need some affordable models to get people into their truck family.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back