Recent Topics
The forgotten Bolens 1253
by Lubener - 12/10/19 11:49 AM
Valvoline High Mileage vs Valvoline Full Synthetic?
by Bettez88 - 12/10/19 10:33 AM
Anything to quiet a noisy Subaru front differential?
by anarchyx34 - 12/10/19 10:15 AM
Consumer Cellular
by CourierDriver - 12/10/19 09:53 AM
Ford 6.2L
by ford46guy - 12/10/19 09:30 AM
2012 Hyundai Santa Fe lights on dash issue
by Urshurak776 - 12/10/19 08:25 AM
Electronic Parking Brakes- Long Term Reliability?
by LoneRanger - 12/10/19 08:17 AM
New Kitchen Faucet Selection: To Pex or Not to Pex ?
by LoneRanger - 12/10/19 07:41 AM
Factory Head Unit/New Speakers
by Duffyjr - 12/10/19 06:35 AM
Valve Stem Carbon Build-up from Oil in DI Engines
by paoester - 12/10/19 03:52 AM
New plugs in 2012 Frontier
by MolaKule - 12/09/19 11:02 PM
SN vs SN+
by natas - 12/09/19 11:02 PM
75w90 conventional vs syn???
by Doublehaul - 12/09/19 10:21 PM
UOA for my extended OCIs
by Kbuskill - 12/09/19 09:34 PM
Question on Job Interview Etiquette
by bunnspecial - 12/09/19 08:40 PM
Tesla V3 Supercharger - 1,000 MPH
by JeffKeryk - 12/09/19 08:16 PM
Drill bit test
by faltic - 12/09/19 07:50 PM
Xenum-comparing grp oil
by Marco620 - 12/09/19 07:37 PM
Newest Members
BucDan, Poboy, Mcbridej74, IvanPletex, tjb59eldo
70087 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (Albs, 2009Edge, 2015_PSD, 77GrandPrix, 69Torino, 7 invisible), 1,956 guests, and 37 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics298,537
Posts5,137,408
Members70,087
Most Online3,589
Nov 2nd, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K&N HP 2005 Questions #5135947 06/16/19 04:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,035
53' Stude Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,035
So, is this filter a decent filter to use?

Also what is the actual date code?

Thank You folks smile

15607248239839106911741594687513.jpg15607248447687010247406668729789.jpg1560724871666119699550413501715.jpg


Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: 53' Stude] #5135955 06/16/19 04:55 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 22,117
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 22,117
20061201 might be Dec 1, 2006. But doubt that filter is that old, so that date code format may not be that simple.

Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: 53' Stude] #5135960 06/16/19 04:59 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 9,661
L
Linctex Offline
Offline
L
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 9,661
Most of these (if made in the USA) are the same exact thing as the Mobil 1

So, Yes - a good filter

.
.
.
Hmmmm.... aren't the new Mobil 1 filters coming from Mexico, too?? ???

.
.
.


"The evidence demands a verdict".
(Re:VOA)"it's nearly impossible to actually know the particular additives that are in there at what concentrations."
Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: Linctex] #5135961 06/16/19 05:01 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 22,117
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 22,117
Originally Posted by Linctex
Most of these (if made in the USA) are the same exact thing as the Mobil 1

So, Yes - a good filter


Says Made in Mexico on the can.

Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: Linctex] #5135979 06/16/19 05:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,094
S
slacktide_bitog Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,094
I think the date code is 200512 (but I can;t tell if it's supposed to be a 5 or a 6)
as in 20 05 12
May 20, 2012
but I think they were still US-made back then

It could also be 12 01 15 (or 16) the last six digits
December 1, 2015/16
or
January 12, 2015/16
This is consistent with the time they were made in Mexico

K&N oil filters were all made in Mexico for awhile, but they recently switched back to the US for most of the spin-on cans. The cartridges come from Korea, but come in a snazzy red color smile

The US-made K&N cans are indeed the same as M1

There is nothing wrong with the Mexican K&N, but it's not worth the price they charged for it.

Originally Posted by Linctex
aren't the new Mobil 1 filters coming from Mexico, too?? ???


Nope, still US-made, still Champs USA

Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: slacktide_bitog] #5135980 06/16/19 05:28 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,035
53' Stude Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,035
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I think the date code is 200512 (but I can;t tell if it's supposed to be a 5 or a 6)
as in 20 05 12
May 20, 2012
but I think they were still US-made back then

It could also be 12 01 15 (or 16) the last six digits
December 1, 2015/16
or
January 12, 2015/16
This is consistent with the time they were made in Mexico

K&N oil filters were all made in Mexico for awhile, but they recently switched back to the US for most of the spin-on cans. The cartridges come from Korea, but come in a snazzy red color smile

The US-made K&N cans are indeed the same as M1

There is nothing wrong with the Mexican K&N, but it's not worth the price they charged for it.

Originally Posted by Linctex
aren't the new Mobil 1 filters coming from Mexico, too?? ???


Nope, still US-made, still Champs USA


Thank You sir and gentlemen for the info



Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: 53' Stude] #5135990 06/16/19 05:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,284
A
atikovi Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,284
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
So, is this filter a decent filter to use?


Wouldn't pay more than the equivalent $4 to $8 OEM filter. Whats it for?

Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: 53' Stude] #5135995 06/16/19 05:46 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,035
53' Stude Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,035
Whatever it fits or whatever a 3600/51516 fits



Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: 53' Stude] #5136056 06/16/19 06:48 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,420
SubieRubyRoo Offline
Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,420
1516 is the Ford size and will work on your Toyota. This was a WM clearance pickup for like $3.50 IIRC

Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: 53' Stude] #5136057 06/16/19 06:49 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 19
L
LowMilesLesabre Offline
Offline
L
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 19
I can vouch for what 53' Stude said. I used to get my K&N HP-2001's as Made in USA. Then, they went to Mexico and I chose another brand. I just went into a parts store today and they had just gotten in new inventory and sure enough, I'm pleased to see Made in USA on both the filters and the boxes. At least I'm not AS embarrassed to shell out the high prices since they are domestically produced again. Although, I must say, with the Mobil 1 filter sale they had, those were a better buy!

Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: 53' Stude] #5136170 06/16/19 09:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 569
P
Pinoak Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 569
I believe the media is about the same as M1. They are using a thread end bypass now days.

Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: 53' Stude] #5136286 06/17/19 04:09 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,976
rooflessVW Offline
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,976
Looks good - I'd run it.

Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: slacktide_bitog] #5136308 06/17/19 05:00 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,127
blupupher Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,127
is this one of the ones that had issue with rust on the nut?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I think the date code is 200512 (but I can;t tell if it's supposed to be a 5 or a 6)
as in 20 05 12
May 20, 2012
but I think they were still US-made back then

It could also be 12 01 15 (or 16) the last six digits
December 1, 2015/16
or
January 12, 2015/16
This is consistent with the time they were made in Mexico

...

I don't think they were doing louvers in 2012, were they?

I would think the Jan 12, 2015 (it looks like a 5 to me?) date is what it would be.


6mo:'18 Santa Fe:PP 10W-30/OEM, '18 Soul:Synpower 5W-30/PG, '10 Santa Fe:Synpower5w-30/D+, '04 F150/Magnatec 10w-30/ST
1yr: '12 xB:M1EP 0W-20/CQB, '02 F150:Magnatec 5W-20/D+, '94 VT1100:Peak 15W-40/D+
Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: blupupher] #5136480 06/17/19 09:43 AM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,035
53' Stude Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,035
Originally Posted by blupupher
is this one of the ones that had issue with rust on the nut?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I think the date code is 200512 (but I can;t tell if it's supposed to be a 5 or a 6)
as in 20 05 12
May 20, 2012
but I think they were still US-made back then

It could also be 12 01 15 (or 16) the last six digits
December 1, 2015/16
or
January 12, 2015/16
This is consistent with the time they were made in Mexico

...

I don't think they were doing louvers in 2012, were they?

I would think the Jan 12, 2015 (it looks like a 5 to me?) date is what it would be.



I think you're right about it being 2015 made as I recall holes in center tubes for a long while.



Re: K&N HP 2005 Questions [Re: 53' Stude] #5136599 06/17/19 12:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 22,117
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 22,117
[Linked Image]

If the date code is 2005120115 then I bet the 2005 in the beginning means filter model "2005" and the rest is 120115 for Dec 1, 2015 or Jan 12, 2015.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™