E series John Deere mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for getting a new mower and after looking at all different brands I think I'm going to go with an E series John deere. A 120 or 130 or even a 140. I want to upgrade to a vtwin.

I looked at husqvarna and cub cadet, craftsman etc but don't care for the pedal setups

I originally wanted a 46 inch deck but with these models its either a 42 or 48.

I'd also prefer to not have one with the smart oil change setup.

Any input from any owners of an e series would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
I looked at husqvarna and cub cadet, craftsman etc but don't care for the pedal setups.
Thats because there are all made by the same manufacturer.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
I looked at husqvarna and cub cadet, craftsman etc but don't care for the pedal setups.
Thats because there are all made by the same manufacturer.

indeed they all are the same/similar but the pedals just look really cheap and seem awkward with your foot to change from forward to backwards where on the deere's its 2 separate pedals that are right next to each other

I bought a new X350 last fall to replace a 16 year old LT150. I agree if you have the money consider something in the X Series from your local dealer. The transmission, mower/mouts,and frame are all better construction over a E Series.

I agree that the B&S Intek twin is a good engine. I have~ 200+ hours on mine and the JD L111 with the 20 HP twin runs like new. A JD with the new Smart oil change can be changed back to the old oil drain system with an inexpensive kit. Ed

I almost bought a JD E120.. my 10 year old JD hasnt much left to give..

Ended up with a Cub Cadet XT1 LT42.. and love it. It doesnt tick any of your boxes.. but can be had for $1499 if you use the $100 coupon from the home depot credit card.

Yes it takes a few minutes to get used to it, but i cant find any flaws in mine. 18HP one lunger mows my large fields with ease.. dont know what i would do with the 2 extra HP the Vtwin gives.

dont know what i would do with the 2 extra HP the Vtwin gives.

It isn't just the horsepower but the torque from a larger engine.

The X series John Deere has a better mower deck as well as the other upgrades mentioned above.

My 2¢

Of the models you mention, only the E140 comes without that easy change oil change system. It also has the 48-inch deck with 3 blades and four anti-scalp wheels. I have the prior generation D140 which seems to be different in name only. Thus far it has a little over four seasons and 125 trouble free hours on it. If the option is available to you, buy it direct from a John Deere dealer and not a big box store. The price is the same, but dealers will come out to your house to service the mower.

E series otherwise known as cheap box store OPE that they slap a Deere badge on.

That being said pretty sure anything will go 5 years with basic care..

X-series is where a decent worth repairing 10 years later Deere lineup starts.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
If I were in the market, I'd look at the x300 series first. Far more capability and durability for the money.

Has the same K46 Hydro as a Cub XT1/XT2 for almost double the price. B&S built engine instead of Kohler, which is splitting hairs.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Of the models you mention, only the E140 comes without that easy change oil change system. It also has the 48-inch deck with 3 blades and four anti-scalp wheels. I have the prior generation D140 which seems to be different in name only. Thus far it has a little over four seasons and 125 trouble free hours on it. If the option is available to you, buy it direct from a John Deere dealer and not a big box store. The price is the same, but dealers will come out to your house to service the mower.

What BBS sells the X300 series? From what I know that is dealer only. As for the E-series, it is the old E-series with a new moniker. Still built in TN by JD, and using the TLT200A/B hydro, which is a downgrade from the K46.

Originally Posted by LubeFiner
What BBS sells the X300 series? From what I know that is dealer only. As for the E-series, it is the old E-series with a new moniker. Still built in TN by JD, and using the TLT200A/B hydro, which is a downgrade from the K46.
OP is requesting info on < $2000 JD 100 series, not $4000 300 series. I imagine that he will accept your donation towards the upgrade, as would I.

All joking aside, the 100 series will probably last 20 years within its targeted application (small lawns) with proper maintenance. My MIL has been running a prior generation JD L series with a single cylinder engine cutting nearly an acre for over twenty years. Even my most conservative guess on the running hours on that machine is over 500. She has it serviced annually by the dealer. The only unusual service event was the replacement of the head gasket last year.

yeah i guess the X300 series would be nice to have but its a price jump.

If i did go that route I'd probably go with the X330, through a local dealer it would be 2,999

there is another dealer thats closer but they've had questionable history on crappy customer service, but they have new ownership now so It might be better but they dont' have any online pricing like this other dealer does.

yes I was looking at the E series at Lowes and Home Depot and from reading through reviews on the website they are pretty well liked, I have no idea how long some of these people have had them for though.

right now I'm mowing lawn with an old LT150 I think its a 2002 model, its a 15 hp kohler and it runs fine but the deck has seen better days and its a very slow cutting machine that no longer leaves a clean cut looking lawn anymore

so really anything would newer would be an upgrade.

I was also looking at Simplicity but those are about the same pricing as the John Deeres.

I'm gonna do some pondering yet and I'll do some looking.

the S240 sport comes with a smaller V-twin but its Kawasaki versus the X300 series have the Cyclonic Vtwins that are briggs made

The S240 is very similar to the E155 with the Kawasaki engine and a better seat
and a few other do-dads.

The X330 has the Briggs while the rest of the X300 line get the Kawasaki engine-a definite
upgrade. The X300 gets a better mower deck as well.

My 2¢

From time to time, especially in the spring, I look at the new John Deere's and Cub Cadet's at Home Depot. They just ooze cheapness. I will be keeping my 1975 Wheel Horse. It cuts awesome and the old Kohler still starts and runs just fine.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
The S240 is very similar to the E155 with the Kawasaki engine and a better seat
and a few other do-dads.

The X330 has the Briggs while the rest of the X300 line get the Kawasaki engine-a definite
upgrade. The X300 gets a better mower deck as well.

My 2¢

from what I can tell is they no longer make the X300, they only list the X330 and up on the website.

my parents have a X300 and yes it has the kawasaki engine.

its listed that the X330 has the cyclonic engine and the all the rest of the Xseries have the kawasaki engines.

the nearest dealer that has the S240 is about 15 to 20 miles away and I'll probably go take a look at them next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back