Engine oil flush recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 2009 Honda Accord LX with 28,000 miles.
When checking the oil 2,000 miles after an oil change: on the dipstick the level is fine, but the lower half of the oil on the dipstick is dirty while the top half is clean.
Would like to do an engine flush that is effective, but also gentle / safe as I don't want to cause engine wear on such
a low mileage engine.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on an engine flush that is both effective and gentle (safe) for the engine?

What about Amsoil engine flush? I think Amsoil mentions its safe enough to use it with every oil change?

Thanks,
Bill

I will be switching to Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 with my next oil change. Its the 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder engine.

Last edited:
At that low of a mileage, i'd use a good synthetic. Pennzoil or even Mobil 1 high mileage. Mobil 1 claims there high mileage to be a cleaning oil. I would use no flush, the only other thing to consider is Kreen with a 5w30 or 5w40 oil.

Last edited:
Does this vehicle sit unused for long periods of time? Seems like it must, given only 28k in ten years. Personally I would not worry about it. Just shorten your change interval to one year or 3k and go on enjoying life.

We bought it a year ago with only 6,000 miles on it from the original owner who was an old man who recently got too old to drive it.
So from 2009 to 2018, it was sitting a lot with very low usage.

Question: If I switch to Penzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic and change oil every 4,000 miles, how long would it take to clean out the engine?

We will be driving the car 20,000 miles a year from now on.

Last edited:
ok, but back to original question, what is the safest (no engine wear during engine flush) engine flush?

Originally Posted by Bill7
ok, but back to original question, what is the safest (no engine wear during engine flush) engine flush?

Asked and answered. What everyone is trying to tell you is that you are obsessing over nothing. Change the oil to any quality synthetic and drive it. If it makes you feel better, do a couple short intervals but you will just be wasting money.

I will be switching to Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 with my next oil change.

That should do a good job of cleaning it out.... but I'd change it out as soon as it gets dirty.

+1. Use the manufactures service recommendation for severe service and sleep well. Skip the flush altogether because it isn't needed if you use a quality oil. Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
+1. Use the manufactures service recommendation for severe service and sleep well. Skip the flush altogether because it isn't needed if you use a quality oil. Ed
+1 With only 28K miles a good quality synthetic oil like PU should slowly clean it up.

We bought it a year ago with only 6,000 miles on it from the original owner who was an old man who recently got too old to drive it. So from 2009 to 2018, it was sitting a lot with very low usage.
So what did you do over the course of those last 22k miles? Seems to me that you've had plenty of time to flush it out.

Been doing conventional oil changes every 5k miles at Walmart (They used Quaker state conventional on my car). Recently realized it was dirty on bottom half of dipstick. Previously to noticing it, never really paid attention, and just had the oil changed every 5k miles.

Been doing conventional oil changes every 5k miles at Walmart (They used Quaker state conventional on my car). Recently realized it was dirty on bottom half of dipstick. Previously to noticing it, never really paid attention, and just had the oil changed every 5k miles.

"dirty on bottom half of dipstick".....what does that mean? Take the oil and touch it on some paper towels. Is it really that dirty? All cars show some dirt or darkened color after a thousand or so. You're over-thinking this.

I thank you for your time and all the responses. I have 2 other vehicles as well, which each having over 100k miles on them.

My question is a general question (not specific to any particular vehicle or circumstance):

Is there a safe engine flush that is effective and won't damage the engine during the flush.

What about Amsoil engine flush (It mentions its safe enough to use with every oil flush). I'm looking for facts here, not someone saying don't worry (no offense intended here).

I bought a 96 Nissan pick up about a year and a half ago that had been stored for 10 years... it had a tune up and fresh oil change before the storage and the oil was still clear and under the oil cap was clean as new ... I drove it 300 miles and changed the oil and filter... 500 miles before the next oil change with 4,500 miles on the oil, I added 8 oz Marvel Mystery Oil and changed the oil and filter at 5,000 miles. I added the MMO to the fuel of the pick up every tank for the first year and now monthly. I also changed out the transmission fluid and coolant, replaced the air filter and drained (drew out with a big syringe) and refilled the power steering fluid and brake fluid. The pick up has always ran like a new one.

I suggest adding 8 oz of MMO now and driving another 500 miles then changing the oil and filter, substituting a half quart of MMO for a half quart of oil and run that for 3,000 miles and then carry on with your normal oil and filter changes from there... maybe using an 8 ounce dose in the oil 500 miles prior to the following oil changes just to make sure all stays clean if desired... I'd use the MMO in the fuel for a while also at the recommended 4 ounces per 10 gallons of fuel. Marvel Mystery Oil is a gentle but effective cleaner and along with the fresh and more frequent oil changes should clean up anything that has settled in your engine quite nicely.

I had some leftover MMO. Poured about eight ounces into my Soul a few hundred miles before changing and at least it didn't do any harm. Don't think I'd buy any, but if you're determined to put something in there at least that would be mild.

Originally Posted by csandste
Posted the same thing at the same time as the previous post. Must be ESP.

LOL... yeah, may be !
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back