bluetooth scan tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
for what now?

They are actually not all alike-- some are able to access more "busses" eg data streams.

This guy from amazon is a few bucks more than the ebay knockoffs but promises motor-generator power and perhaps TPMS in my prius.

What car? I'd get one that's specific to the model so you can read manufacturer specific codes. For Ford, any cheap elm327 reader like the BAFX should work fine as there's free software out there called Forscan which can read manufacturer specific codes, may also work on some Mazdas. Otherwise for that kind of money, I'd get something like the Autel Diaglink which is about $89 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diaglink-Version-Diagnostic-Transmission/dp/B01N0QQZY7

Initially for Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty, maybe others.

I'm interested in a bluetooth version, and narrowed it down to BlueDriver or OBDLink MX+. Both are around $80-100 and have access to some more advanced features, including Mode 6.

But, I just want to buy it once, and not have to pay for extras later. BlueDriver looks good at first, but in looking around OBDLink MX+ may not require add-ons that you have to pay for anymore.

I tried reading some online reviews, but they didn't seem to clear.

Anyone try / compare these lately?

Originally Posted by Ranger1
Which one is better? BlueDriver or OBDLink MX+ Thanks in advance.

I don't have any experience with your 2 choices, but I did buy an Autel unit (Wolf's DiagLink) about 2 years ago and went through the purchasing process.

I would dig very deep into each brand's website and determine exactly what they mean by "enhanced codes". Most of these lower priced units have a few quirks and miss coverage on certain vehicles. That's why the pros invest a lot more money in their tools.

For instance, in a VERY quick perusal of the OBDLink MX+ site, it "seems" that this unit is a bit weak with FCA, Hyundai/Kia, and other brand's enhanced codes.

Check this out and confirm for yourself (maybe I am wrong?): http://www.obdlink.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/app_support.pdf

It is very difficult to get to the root of each brand's coverage of enhanced codes. You read reviews all the time "it (any brand) didn't work for my brand, year, DTC, etc.">

Well I looked at OBDlink MX+ and while it supports Ford, GM, Toyota and a few other makes, the other makes are pretty limited or just basic OBDII diagnostic. I wouldn't pay that much for limited diagnostics. That Autel mentioned earlier will pretty much do all makes, each additional make is an extra $10.

I checked on a few more things....

BlueDriver won't have access to GM-LAN or Ford-MS-CAN, which is used to access other areas of the vehicle... doors, lights, air bag, abs, transmission, etc. To get access to these network protocols, I found that BlueDriver would need to make hardware and software changes to the dongle.. so not likely to be added/upgraded anytime soon. But, BlueDriver has Mode 6 and access to the Identifix database.

OBDLink MX+ then had those 2 protocols, but I do not know if it has Mode 6 access. Also, I don't know how valuable the Identifix database is, or if there is another "free" database available online, where this does not matter.

So far, I have not found another scan tool option that has a better feature set for the $80-100 range. Even for $200, I am not sure there is much better out there...yet.

Between these 2 options, which do you think is more valuable / useful?

I'd be especially interested in opinions from anyone who actually has one of these tools.

Thanks in advance.

I went with the OBDLink MX+ model. And it looks good, so far.

Ultimately, I found it can access 2 more networks - for GM & Ford, and so,it can access additional data beyond what the current BlueDriver device can do. (I also found that BlueDriver would require both hardware & software updates to be able to access these additional networks.) And MX+ is $20 cheaper, too. While MX+ doesn't have access to the Identifix database, figure if the MX+ can point me in the right direction, then internet can help explain the rest.

Thanks everyone.

Yea, at this price point it is all about trade offs and which set of features you value most. Since Identifix charges $180/month for its service, I have to imagine that Bluetooth is offering just a tiny slice of that pie. If you really get into this stuff, you probably will want to step up to a bidirectional scan tool.

A factory service manual CD is a great addition to proper diagnosis. A DTC only points to the system that is causing problems, not necessarily a part that is bad. A FSM will walk you through the diagnostic steps to find the problem, hopefully avoiding changing parts that are not bad.

Have fun with your new toy. My shade tree skill level does not require that I have much more than a basic scan tool. I have yet to use any of the enhanced features of my Autel Diaglink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back