6000 miles too long for PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

With my 2017 Elantra Value Edition with 27,000 miles, is 6000 miles a bit to long to go on Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 if I am doing a lot of short trips? Just wondering. I am planing on doing oil change next with and this time using Quaker State UD 5W-20?

Thanks

Originally Posted by flinter
is 6000 miles a bit to long to go on Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 if I am doing a lot of short trips?

Maybe in the winter.

Summer? I really doubt it.

It might be, especially in the winter time. The only way to be certain for your application is via a UOA. I've said it before, blanket statements can get you in trouble. If I had to guess, the summer would probably be OK.

Sounds like your in Hyundai's severe service with short trip, which is 3,750 miles.
Regular service is 7,500 miles.

Any one item on this list puts you in the severe service category according to the owners manual:
  • Repeated short distance driving.
  • Driving in dusty conditions or sandy areas.
  • Extensive use of brakes.
  • Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used.
  • Driving on rough or muddy roads.
  • Driving in mountainous areas.
  • Extended periods of idling or low speed operation.
  • Driving for a prolonged period in cold temperatures and/or extremely humid climates.
  • More than 50% driving in heavy city traffic during

IMO, 3,750 miles is too short for any modern oil, especially a synthetic oil (except maybe a turbo DI engine with known dilution issues).
5,000 miles is what I do for almost any Hyundai that is not a longer distance commuter vehicle.

Hyundai only has a "dumb" OLM, goes by mileage (that can be set by owner in many of their vehicles).

My vote is "Yes."

I would think you should go by the severe service in your manual.

For me and short trips, I use conventional or a synthetic blend oil and I am going 3K.
I know, I know, something may be wrong with me. But I can sleep well at night.

Originally Posted by Gebo
My vote is "Yes."

For me and short trips, I use conventional or a synthetic blend oil and I am going 3K.

Agree wholeheartedly.

It will probably be closer to 5,800 when its changed this week with QSUD 5W-20.

Good. Change it. QSUD is great oil for its price.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SteveG4
It will probably be closer to 5,800 when its changed this week with QSUD 5W-20.

Good. Change it. QSUD is great oil for its price.
smile.gif

It's a great price and what I used in my last oil change. I'm using Wix XP for 2 OCI's. 3K on oil x 2 = 6K on the filter.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Originally Posted by Gebo
My vote is "Yes."

Agree wholeheartedly.

What a waste really it is. Even in fleet use where the average vehicle has something like a average MPH in the teens 5K OCI's are conservative and engines don't fail, consume too much oil, and are sent to pasture long before the engine becomes a problem. This includes DI Turbocharged engines.

The suggestion of getting a UOA is a good idea, it's the only accurate way to know how much fuel dilution you are experiencing. I would use a full synthetic 5w30 (if ur can allows it) for the time being since a synthetic can better maintain it's grade than conventional. Most oils can tolerate some fuel dilution before viscosity changes but since you don't actually know how much fuel dilution you're experiencing, I would think the 5/30 provides you a little insurance until you can get a UOA done.

Whatever your fuel dilution % is you should be changing out the oil more frequently (severe service) and not less for the time being, to combat moisture or get that car out onto the interstate once a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back