My daughter shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am proud to report my 14 y.o. daughter is no longer afraid of firearms and, more importantly, she is enjoying shooting my SR22. I taught her the safety rules, how a pistol works and how to load, rack & aim the pistol and how to release the magazine. She is a good listener and quick learner, a very good student.

I have videos of her at her grandpas' farm-land shooting but not sure how to upload here so I am posting a picture of her. She did really good for her 2nd time. The first 4 rounds went right into the red and then it started to go all over the target. Out of 30 rounds, she got 9 bullseye. Not bad at all.

[Linked Image]

Edit: I purchased a metal resetting target for us to use. I know I will have lots of fun with it and hoping she will too.

Last edited:
Nice !!!Have her keep the thump on her dominant(right) hand lose . I normally keep mine up by habit-that insures its loose. It gives you better trigger control..The thumb and index finger work together.

Last edited:
Good job having her shooting!

Have her straighten up or even lean forward slightly. Looks like she is leaning back from the gun.

I took my sister shooting once. She was in her 20's. She wanted to wear a helmet because she thought bullets were going to come back and get her. She shot one mag and that was it.

Edit: I purchased a metal resetting target for us to use. I know I will have lots of fun with it and hoping she will too.
Good idea.

Or how about tin-cans ?
Always nice to look at the bullet-holes after you hit something.

Last edited:
For many folks it's finding the gun and a comfort level.

I've never been one that was interested in shooting, but some good friends of mine are taking me out shooting because i now have an interest in it, and in is a good thing to learn!

I taught myself at 26. Would have been cool to have learned sooner. I think it's a good idea to teach kids certain things while young. Get them acquainted with cars and an understanding of money, and teach them how to safely handle and shoot firearms.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
For many folks it's finding the gun and a comfort level.

I've never been one that was interested in shooting, but some good friends of mine are taking me out shooting because i now have an interest in it, and in is a good thing to learn!

It's never too late to learn and enjoy the hobby. I just really got into it this year and I'm almost half a century old!
having the ability to protect yourself with a firearm is a great freedom that many don't take advantage of. I read a post on facebook (don't know how accurate and true it may be) but a Japanese general was asked why didn't they invade mainland America after Pearl Harbor? His answer was, because America has the largest army in the world when you count civilians with firearms. The post went on to explain the #s of registered hunters in each state and boy, it's a huge number! I'm proud to be a citizen of this great country and the freedom we have and I'm proud of our Constitution. /Salute.

Originally Posted by Red91
I taught myself at 26. Would have been cool to have learned sooner. I think it's a good idea to teach kids certain things while young. Get them acquainted with cars and an understanding of money, and teach them how to safely handle and shoot firearms.

I totally agree. The most important skill they need to learn is finance. They need to know how to budget and not spend more than they make. I see so many folks who can't save money because they don't know the first thing about budgeting and get trap with the credit cards advertisement of "here, spend money you don't have."

Originally Posted by oldhp
Awesome!!! This is gun control. Correct and safe use of firearms.
Right on
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
Very nice! Enjoy the time you spend with her on such a fun hobby.

Thank you and yes, it is quality time with her on a fun hobby indeed.

Last edited:
o.p. is doing an excellent job introducing his daughter to firearms. learning how to properly and safely shoot as a teenager is a great start to life, imbues respect and confidence in a youngster, and helps to maintain our constitutional right to bear arms. the reliable, soft, handy, easy to fieldstrip ruger sr22 is a superb choice for a beginner's handgun. next up is teaching how to change a flat tire and check under the car hood. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back