Best Shell/Pennzoil is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I searched the forums and from what iv gathered is Pennzoil ultra platium is the best followed by Shell gas truck followed by Pennzoil platium..? Is my thinking correct on this?

The Quaker State family of oils (QSUD, QSGB, Defy) have never done me wrong. In fact, I always felt like they ran the best in my old 2003 2.3L Ford Ranger along with the unrelated Eneos Sustina brand, I never had the start up clatter that I did with other brands.

The best QS blend in my opinion ever was the old High Mileage with Slick 50 added. It cleaned the sludge quite well in my dads old Saturn. So much gunk came out, and it quit burning 2qts every 3000 miles after that. Crazy because it wasnt even API rated if I remember.

I've used Pennzoil in the past, it seemed to do its job well, as does this Formula Shell I'm using now.

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with a SOPUS product. I've used them in everything from small lawn equipment to PCMOs to military vehicles.

To make that decision you would have to decide what you think about viscosity. In the same 5w30 grade both Ultra Platinum and Platinum have a Kv100 of about 9 plus cSt. Gas Truck has a KV100 of 11 plus. Gas truck also has more Zinc. Apparently Ultra Platinum has a better base oil but perhaps someone else can expand on that.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Guess it just depends on how you're defining "best". Is it based just on raw data and/or empirical evidence?

There's no doubt that Pennzoil and QS brands (shell) are some fine oils but what's best in your engine might not be best in someone else's. I swear my engine runs the quietest on Chevron's Supreme (Chevron products in general) but the Mobil Super line is pretty darn good also for my application. But I have an older NA engine and not a turbo gdi.

To me the "best oil" is not necessarily the one with the best stats but is the one that is going to make my engine purr and does it at a competitive price. My 2 pennies...

Last edited:
I think all of them will do a good job. It comes down to what your application requires and/or how much you want to spend.

When I was a tech at a dealership many years ago, we had a customer that would come to us for oil changes, but he would bring his own conventional Shell motor oil in the plain white bottle. And I have to tell you, looking down in the fill hole (that vehicle didn't have a baffle), I can easily tell you that was the cleanest engine I had ever seen. It literally looked brand new. That engine had some serious miles on it too! I was sold on Shell motor oil from that point.

With that being said, I am of the opinion that any SOPUS brand will do the job.

My opinion on SOPUS oils is-the one with the best price is the best one to use. Ultra is good, in my opinion it remains to be seen if Gas Truck is worth the higher price tag. They're all GTL/AKA "Pure Plus" Group III technology, so they're all pretty good. I've generally been able to buy PP & PPHM for sub $10/jug, cheaper than PYB or even QSGB, so they can be an excellent deal.

I think you are correct.

Would be interesting to see a VOA or UOA of the Gas Truck to compare.

I was a faithful user of Ultra Platinum 5W30 in my GDI engine but the lack of Dexos1 Gen2 certs caused me to switch to Platinum. UP now has SN+ for LSPI protection but D1 G2 also offers reduced timing chain wear.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I think you are correct.

Would be interesting to see a VOA or UOA of the Gas Truck to compare.

[Linked Image]

This is what I found on here.

OP if you two identical vehicles driven in the same conditions, maintenance, and OCI you would not see any difference upon tear down after 10 years of use.

Buy on what meets specs for your car and price you won't go wrong.

I've used PP, QSUD and my current fill is Rotella MV.

PP and QSUD had similar results in wear metals (except PP had high copper, possibly leaching from oil cooler), but QSUD sheared more than PP.

QSUD was quieter at first but as it sheared down, it got louder.

Current Rotella MV has the best "feeling" so far, even quieter than QSUD and is still after 4000 miles. I'm eager to see the UOA on this one.

I'd say it depends on the engine. It looks like my engine is very hard on oil, but most of them aren't that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back