Currently Using iPhone 6S...Should I Upgrade?

I'd stick with it. I know quite a few folks that are sticking with their 6 and 7s right now.

Personally, I just retired my almost 5 year old HTC for an LG Stylo 4. Think I like it better than the samsung Note...

But, Apple is growing on me...never thought that would happen. Typing on a IPad as I speak, and with an added keyboard will go for an IPad Pro.....

My gut tells me an IPhone (most likely an XR) could be in the future......

I would keep it for another year till the update is ceased;

also I have 8+ while my wife has x model; hers have had problem with the screen that was replaced under the warranty; needless to say, everything latest is not necessarily the greatest

We have an X, a 6s, and an Xr. The Xr is substantially larger and has a taller profile. The speaker is a little louder, and it supports more frequency bands (only really useful on T-mobile in rural areas) The lack of a home button is a bit annoying. Battery lasts a little longer. It's noticeably faster. It really depends what you have to pay. We got our Xr for around $400 after trade-in. I would not purchase one at full price.

I just upgraded from a iPhone 5S to a 6S a few months ago for a staggering $200......To tell the truth, I don't know how to use a Android phone! They seem counter-intuitive.
If you're used to Apple phones.....It may be best to buy a new 6S & carry-on!

My coworker all have Android.....It seems they replace them A LOT??

My 6s does everything I need and you nailed it with the connection speed being very good. I bought two in August 2018 for $360. Considering how good phones are now, my strategy is to buy the oldest iPhone generally available. You can buy an iPhone 7 for around $450.

Last edited:
I have an SE, it will get a new battery when the time comes and if they do not make one in this size its back to a non smart phone for me.

I have a 6 that I put a new battery in back at Christmas under the $29.99 battery deal.

Honestly, I don't feel any pressing need to upgrade. I've yet to find anything I really need that it CAN'T do. My girlfriend has an 8, and I don't see a huge difference between them-the only thing I can say is that the camera seems better, but at the same time I'll use a "real" camera if I care about the photos.

I was at Sam's yesterday and they were running a good deal on the Xs. I spent some time playing with it(not the first time I have played with X series phones) and considered it, but ultimately decided I had better uses for my $800/$30 a month for 2 year just to replace a phone that honestly doesn't have any issues.

I decided instead to just pick up a replacement for my pretty well battered Otterbox. That has served me well for 3 years, and even though the $50 I spent at the time was tough to swallow, it didn't seem terrible after having just spent $130 a few minutes prior for a screen replacement
smile.gif
. My 3 year old one still protected my phone fine, but the screen cover was getting a bit rough looking and tough to read through. For another $50, it feels like I'm using a new phone
smile.gif
and I'll also add that the old one has kept my phone looking like new.

If the 6s does what you need, don't upgrade. Photos are not that much better. If you want good photos, you need a real camera. No, not as convenient as having your phone with you all the time, but a $200 digital camera will take way better photos than any cell phone camera.

I had a 6s from new till about a year ago. Wife had a 6. I got a great deal on a iPhone 7 for my wife, and a steal of a deal on a iPhone 8 for me. My mom got the Iphone 6, my sister got the 6s (they both had a 5C), both phones are still working fine (both got the battery replacement deal in November, that was the biggest problem with both of them).
I despise Face ID and love Touch ID, so I will be stuck with my 8 for a long, long time.
I also miss the headphone jack.

Originally Posted by blupupher
If the 6s does what you need, don't upgrade. Photos are not that much better. If you want good photos, you need a real camera. No, not as convenient as having your phone with you all the time, but a $200 digital camera will take way better photos than any cell phone camera.

The issue with a $200 camera is it lacks the processing, and software development that makes the best out a picture possible. The difference in pictures between wifes old iPhone SE and current iPhone XR is drastic in everyday life. I'd suggest better reading glasses.

I am not arguing a $200 does not take better pictures in certain conditions, however to state iPhone 6s vs iPhone X series not much different is absurd.

You have to spend $300-$400+ and new realm of photography over any smartphone.

My daughter had a birthday cookout a while back and nobody had an Apple phone. Kind of curious why that would be the case as there were some high end Android among them. I asked and was roundly dissed and chastised about it. I don't own a cell phone personally but have had some other Apple products over the years and liked their intuitiveness. Why would a dozen 18-21 year old's not like Apple?
Can’t afford em

I think until you start seeing important apps no longer support the last iOS you are using, or your carrier no longer support your band, you are fine keep using what you have and replace worn out batteries.

I have to upgrade from my 6 because Google Voice no longer works on it. I also had to retire my 5C because it does not support VoLTE and 3G is retired in my area.

Originally Posted by blupupher

The issue with a $200 camera is it lacks the processing, and software development that makes the best out a picture possible. The difference in pictures between wifes old iPhone SE and current iPhone XR is drastic in everyday life. I'd suggest better reading glasses.

I am not arguing a $200 does not take better pictures in certain conditions, however to state iPhone 6s vs iPhone X series not much different is absurd.

You have to spend $300-$400+ and new realm of photography over any smartphone.
Not everyone needs the best photos, I don't, but my wife wants the best "for the children" as always...... right.

I just upgraded from my 6s+ two days ago, but I had to, mine was dying fast. Like reboot it 10 times a day just to keep using it. I went to an 12, AT&T had a $360 deal for it. It's the same size and works about the same with some different features. I thought I wouldn't like not having a home button but it works fine on facial recognition, maybe even easier.

I would have kept my 6 if it was still working right.

I’d say for modern times seems a bit outdated. I don’t think it will support the latest iOS updates either. They were definitely good for when they were released. I was in middle school when they were released. Everyone either had the 6 series or the colorful 5 series can’t remember it was like the 5C. I was the odd man out with my flip phone lol 😂 I had never seen a smart phone till I started middle school and told everyone I knew about it because I thought it was a huge deal. Haha. One thing I’ll fully support about having it is the headphone jack. I still wish phones had that I’m not with all this wireless stuff or running it from the charging port. I have no idea how to even sync something wireless with my phone lol 😂 I could probably figure it out I just don’t want too.

I know the guy at Verizon last year when we got our new phones was helping an older lady with a new iPhone she had the 6S I believe it was and he said after this year the E911 or something would not be supported any longer rendering the phone useless for phone service as in an emergency call it could not be traced if the E911 was no longer supported. I don’t know if that’s right or not, that might be the case for an old flip phone from the early 2000s or maybe like an iPhone 1 or 2 but doesn’t seem it would be the case in modern times. The same guy also told us 5G would be in our area by January but he was wrong lol. Probably just using that as a sales tactic.

I’d say for modern times seems a bit outdated. I don’t think it will support the latest iOS updates either. They were definitely good for when they were released. I was in middle school when they were released. Everyone either had the 6 series or the colorful 5 series can’t remember it was like the 5C. I was the odd man out with my flip phone lol 😂 I had never seen a smart phone till I started middle school and told everyone I knew about it because I thought it was a huge deal. Haha. One thing I’ll fully support about having it is the headphone jack. I still wish phones had that I’m not with all this wireless stuff or running it from the charging port. I have no idea how to even sync something wireless with my phone lol 😂 I could probably figure it out I just don’t want too.

I know the guy at Verizon last year when we got our new phones was helping an older lady with a new iPhone she had the 6S I believe it was and he said after this year the E911 or something would not be supported any longer rendering the phone useless for phone service as in an emergency call it could not be traced if the E911 was no longer supported. I don’t know if that’s right or not, that might be the case for an old flip phone from the early 2000s or maybe like an iPhone 1 or 2 but doesn’t seem it would be the case in modern times. The same guy also told us 5G would be in our area by January but he was wrong lol. Probably just using that as a sales tactic.

The iPhone 6s is supported by iOS 15. Unsure whether or not iOS 16 will support the 6s and 6s Plus. There will eventually be a public beta version of iOS 16 and by that time I suspect it will be. Some rumors are that the 6s won't get it.

Even as Apple churns out a new iOS every year, the operating systems are compatible for most old models, with iOS 15 working smoothly on the 2015 iPhone 6s. But the French website iPhoneSoft claims a developer at Apple leaked that iOS 16 will work with iPhones that have an A10 processor or higher. That's the iPhone 7 and up -- and not the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus or the SE 2016.​

I'm not quite sure why. There's a combination of the processor and memory capacity/speed. The 6s and 6s Plus were when they went to 2 GB and started using DDR4. The iPhone 6/6 Plus were 1 GB using DDR3.

Back