4L80E build

Bad experience with transgo today. Called all 3 numbers on the net today every phone they have goes straight to a persons voice mail all of which said they were off today and to email them . Sent email waited 4 hours no reply. Every Sonnax part that I have been ordering I call summit so they eventually will have all of these 80e parts in their system. It takes a little time for them to call sonnax and get pricing and availability but it works and the next time I order sonnax stuff I know they will have it in the system. At the end of my order I asked the gal to call transgo and see if they have the 2 blue springs. Well they picked up on the first ring and they won't sell me the 2 springs. I have to buy the whole hd2 kit. Shame on them! I then called my contact at sonnax... he picked up on the first ring. Needless to say the only way I can get this handled by sonnax is to buy the oversized tooling and an oversized valve and spring. So thanked him and called my sales gal at Wit she said we don't have those VB parts but I bet I can hook you up. She transferred me to the fella there that does their VB rebuilds. He said I'm on the other side of the building from his bench and he would go look and call me back. Well less than 5 minutes later he called and asked how many you want? Done deal and they are on the brown truck. Again shame on TG I will remember that in the future.

Ever since the old man passed (Gil Younger)......Customer service fell off a cliff!
Gil was a pioneer in the industry & a great guy too boot! He's rolling in his grave right now!!

It's really sad to see such iconic leader of the infustry companies loose what made them great with the passing of the guy who cared.

When I was a youngster and spending every dime I made on going fast I distinctly remember getting a reprogramming kit that was short a single part or spring ???? Well when the package showed up in the mail box I had a transgo t shirt! Wow never for get that to this day. My my how things change.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Which spring would you use?
Is there any band adjustment that needs to be done?
VB assembly has went real well. And with your recommendation on which selective spring I should be able to button this up.
Thanks!

Use the .300" OD spring. It allows the Converter Clutch "regulated" oil pressure to ramp up faster while still retaining the factory PWM calibrations in the PCM. (The TCC will lock faster & firmer without tuning the TCC PWM tables)

Thanks buddy! I took the gamble and that IS what I used. ? #759
What about band adjustments?
Do you assemble vb gaskets wet or dry?

Lo/Reverse Band, Page 13 & 14.......HERE

I have never seen issues with the Intermediate Brake (Front) Band UNLESS incompatible/mismatched components are used.....The updated ATSG manual (2003) covers this.

I install the gasket between the Plate & Valve Body dry then torque the Accumulator Delete Plate down, I either dip the Plate to Case gasket in ATF or smear some TransJel on it to adhere to the plate, This avoids fighting with the gasket while lining-up the Manual Valve to the Rooster Comb during VB installation.

I don't have a second piston cover to hack for a test reference but I'll order one Monday and third day it to guarantee that I have it by Friday.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Well............. looks like I gotta order more parts

Not necessarily, You have a new BW rear band with a good "uncut" Reaction Drum?......The odds of inadequate rear band holding ability is very small.

.1399 from rest to 55 inch pounds applied.
.1959 from 55 inch pounds applied to bottomed out (no spring)position.
.3358 total travel from at rest to bottomed out in case.

Yes. Is having the spring, spacer and the cup washer the correct parts for this 55 inch pound test?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CLine would you please lay out a filling procedure? Also any speed secrets you can share as far as parameters for the fitech controller?

Thanks man!!!!

Well thanks CTech! Lots of work lots of patience. At 56 and getting ready to fully retire dammed good skill to have!

Back