United Airlines Boeing 757-200 Blows Tires at Newark

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to read how this all came about. The aircraft looks bad. I suspect it will be written off.

Good that there were no injuries. Newark is still closed. That will put a big crimp in NYC area operations.

Last edited:
Whole aircraft written off over a blown tire? Guess I'm not seeing the damage in the photo, but I had to read a different article since Washington Post won't let me read their news garbage unless I pay for it.

Though even with even a small amount of damage I could the plane being written off, given that the 757-200 in question is probably a couple decades old and nearing retirement anyway.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Whole aircraft written off over a blown tire? Guess I'm not seeing the damage in the photo, but I had to read a different article since Washington Post won't let me read their news garbage unless I pay for it.

Though even with even a small amount of damage I could the plane being written off, given that the 757-200 in question is probably a couple decades old and nearing retirement anyway.

I went here.

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/622539-ual-757-incident-ewr.html

The pictures show some nasty buckling around the nose gear.

Said it bounced ? Mi guess is the pilot , and maybe the co-pilot are in for some rough times ?

Also guessing the insurance is going to compare the cost of repairs vs. value of a 21 year old plane ?

Thankfully every one came out alive .

My buddy works at United Newark, says main gear on wing is cambered in, and the nose is totally crunched. It may actually be a complete loss.

Pilots who I have known told me years ago that Navy pilots when the leave the Navy and go on to flying commercial tend to blow tires given they are so trained to land on a carrier.

Originally Posted by Donald
Pilots who I have known told me years ago that Navy pilots when the leave the Navy and go on to flying commercial tend to blow tires given they are so trained to land on a carrier.

That is complete and utter hogwash.

A non-navy pilot told you that, and it's one of the dumbest things I've heard.

Navy landings take extreme precision. That precision results in consistent, good landings in commercial operations. Navy pilot training washes out poor performers.

Worst landing I have ever seen in airline operations was from a civilian pilot. They may be used to flaring, but precision was never drilled into them. Poor performers continue on, as standards are not as rigorous, and civilian landings are monitored and scrutinized by LSOs.

I've got folding money that says this was NOT a Navy pilot.

Beyond that, I can't comment.

ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

8C5C56F3-E9F7-44CB-B7E1-E38CF413F402.jpeg

My friend is saying it was a female pilot on her first landing check ride out of the simulator. Heres a few more pics
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Donald

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The pilots who told you just that have clearly no idea what it takes to become a Navy pilot.

Originally Posted by Audios
My friend is saying it was a female pilot on her first landing check ride out of the simulator. Heres a few more pics
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If that's the case, I'd think the check airman captain would have kept her out of trouble. But, then, I'm not a pilot.

Someone mentioned something earlier about the main landing gear. It does look cattywumpus in those pics above.

Makes sense. Take a man who has to throw a needle down a coffee straw in a dark room and then ask him to hurl a javelin a down a highway. Probably would get it right.

Heres the main gear head on, im gonna have to say the Hunter alignment rack is going to show a toe and camber problem on L/R gear set.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
ETOPS huh?
Not no more. This is an 80K hour 22K cycle frame. It won't get repaired.
This poor thing was probably forced down well above suitable speed and apparently bounced at least a couple of times.
That the airframe held up and nobody had any serious injuries is a tribute to Boeing design and engineering.
I can think of certain other types that have ended up with broken spars and on their backs on fire in this type of an event.
WRT the crew, while they obviously screwed up and may have been anxious not to have to go around and miss their slot at this very busy airport, any ATP with a B757/767 type rating presumably knows how to land the airplane regardless of his or her flying background.
This was a serious error, of course, but serious errors happen in day to day operations once in a great while.
As a Brit accident investigator put it years ago, as long as airplanes fly, airplanes will come to grief, although the frequency of that has been hugely reduced over the decades.
It will be interesting to see the NTSB report when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back