Honda DW1, 30,369 Miles, 2016 Pilot, 6 Speed AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got in UOA for tranny fluid from my wife's 16' Pilot. I've done 2x D&F at around 19k and just did another D&F at 30K. Even though OA didn't quite raise the flag it seems a bit high to me (might be wrong though). There was very little metal residue on the magnet compared to when I drained it for the first time at 19K.

Should I get another D&F done or perhaps full exchange of 3 x D&F as Honda recommends?

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, any comments/input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Honda recommends 4x drain and fill, not 3x.

Originally Posted by Honda owner's manual
"To thoroughly flush the transmission,the technician should drain and refill it with Honda ATF-Z1, then drive the vehicle for a short distance. Do this three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a final time."

I would try a full D&F procedure then run it however long you want and check again. One D&F isn't really doing a whole lot for you; I did two full D&F procedures the first 15k (so 1x 4 gallons immediately, second 1x 4 gallons at 15k) and then just changed out one gallon of ATF at every oil change which usually ran 7-9k OCIs. It took my Odyssey's trans from shifting like poo to shifting like new. I gave it to my stepson with 195k and it's still going strong.

Edit: Technically, your Pilot doesn't require the repeat D&F procedure like older Hondas do... but that doesn't mean it wouldn't help. All your OM calls for is 3.3 qts for a single change.

In my previous Civic, a drain and refill of DW-1 was ~1/3 of the contents. If the dilution rate is similar in the Pilot, then no one would say that amount of dilution and replenishment of additives, "isn't really doing a whole lot for you"...

Thanks for the comments. So, I was looking around for other Pilot/Ody;s/Accords and it appears that iron they measure IS above the average values which is concerning. Is the iron coming from the clutch packs? could that be related to mostly city driving with lots stop and go car is seeing?

The TAN value does not look right for me. I would ask to retest it. I don't believe that even initial TAN is 0.25.

Does a D&F on this replace 1/3 of the fluid, like it did with my Civic?

If so, I wouldn't do another early change. This D&F, along with your previous 2X D&F, has effectively changed out all of the fluid due to dilution.

I would switch to a 30k interval and not worry much about it.

//

HOWEVER, if it will make you feel better, there's nothing wrong with another 3X D&F (after letting is circulate, of course) to be overly conservative, since it's so cheap to do so.

If I'm not mistaken the whole capacity is 8.1qt (at least this number is what is stated for fluid ovehaul). When i did last D&F I dropped close to 4qts which means around 45-50% of the fluid has been replaced.

Some of the reports I've been able to find on web on same transmission with DW1 actually show increase in ppm per 1,000mi after the D&F have been performed....that makes me think if the older fluid is better lol

8.1 qts seems low. I believe my Civic with the 5-speed was around 9 qts, making a D&F ~ 1/3 capacity.

Your owner's manual states 3.3 qts per drain, if you have the shift lever; 3.5 qts per drain, if you have the electronic gear selector.

//

If your AT is shifting well, then I wouldn't worry too much about the report, so long as things don't trend negatively in your next report.

Had two more D&F done dropping around 4qts each time with total of 3 D&F (1 D&F week ago, 300mi later two more with 5-7 mile spirited drive in between). Planning to do another D&F in 10k, collect the sample and see what's up. thanks all for suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back