20W or 30W for long interstate drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Good points ! ... Yes , 5W20 synthetic will work but MAY be the better play for drives / commutes of less than an hour or two ... Factor in driving at 75MPH in 90 degree heat THEN get hit with interstate construction / or an accident where everything gets funneled down to one lane with stop and go at 5 ~ 10MPH ? This always seems to happen around large cities during summer trips !... In these types of scenarios do you want 5W20 or 5W30 ?
Originally Posted by alarmguy
The '10 Elantra in my signature is going up I-95 to PA. and back end of June ... Oil cap says 5W20 but was considering a 5W30 synthetic for the summer long distance drive .
*I forget if a constant interstate drive is easier or harder on a vehicle in the summer - what would you use ?

You car is fine with 5w20 and your car is even better with 5w30 and .. long drives and interstate or not, your always better with the 5/30.
Your choice!

(btw oil temperatures are at their highest on the interstate, most people do not know that (one just needs to measure it), yes highway mileage is good for a car, but many also forget that the engine is pushing a 2 ton lump of metal at 75MPH with wind resistance eating up alot of that power along with pressures on the drive train and bearings which create heat, also, remember many engines also spray the bottom of the pistons with oil at high speeds in order to cool the pistons, further heating the oil)

It seems as though you knew the answer already

Imagine driving 70 miles in stop and go on a freeway using 0w20. Cars should be blowing engines right and left. It's not happening though.

Why would you put a Winter oil - SAE 20W - in for a Summer trip?

There is no 30W grade that I've seen.

Forget the oil.

Make sure the tires are aired up and in good condition, make sure you have a highway emergency kit, a canteen with fresh water a P-Bottle and .... a good mix tape.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
The best choice would be an oil change right before the trip to 5W30

THIS ^^^

5w-30 wts. are great for sustained high speed driving over long distances.

*Actually , the choices are only 5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 for my situation as that's all Hyundai /Kia allows for any of my sig rides in the OM's
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Forget the oil.

Make sure the tires are aired up and in good condition, make sure you have a highway emergency kit, a canteen with fresh water a P-Bottle and .... a good mix tape.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Forget the oil.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Modern multi-weight Xw-20 oils are thicker at both operating temperatures and extreme temperatures than old conventional 20W Winter oil. Look it up.

Do manuals still have the addendum,"Use a such and such (thicker) oil for extended high speed driving*?

(btw oil temperatures are at their highest on the interstate, most people do not know that (one just needs to measure it), yes highway mileage is good for a car, but many also forget that the engine is pushing a 2 ton lump of metal at 75MPH with wind resistance eating up alot of that power along with pressures on the drive train and bearings which create heat, also, remember many engines also spray the bottom of the pistons with oil at high speeds in order to cool the pistons, further heating the oil)

This is entirely engine and cooling system dependant. My oil temps on my M5 were MUCH higher in stop-and-go than they were cruising down the highway. My Jeep runs the same temperature regardless.

The '10 Elantra in my signature is going up I-95 to PA. and back end of June ... Oil cap says 5W20 but was considering a 5W30 synthetic for the summer long distance drive .
*I forget if a constant interstate drive is easier or harder on a vehicle in the summer - what would you use ?

How long have you owned this 2010? If since new, then you should already know if it likes one viscosity over the other.

For instance: If you will be mountain climbing, the rule of thumb is to use a little thicker viscosity for long travels. That is obviously the 30W.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Do manuals still have the addendum,"Use a such and such (thicker) oil for extended high speed driving*?

The 4Runner and many Toyota owner's manuals do. Mine says (paraphrasing) high speed, mountainous, towing / heavy loads may require a higher viscosity for sufficient protection.

That said I got a great UOA with 5w-20 while towing a 5000lb(2268kg) trailer for 1500 highway miles of a 7400 mile OCI. Changing the current oil (5w-30) tomorrow to compare.

Here in the US, for my vehicle it's 0w-20. Other countries' manuals for the same vehicle say it's ok to go up to 15w-40 (dependent on temperature).

ChrisD46, I am sure you will be fine with a 5w-30....and a 10w-30 will be ok during warmer months ... but since you're in Georgia a 10w-30 could be a good year round option.

If the manual allows xw30 and if it makes you feel better, go ahead. You 'might' take a slight dent in fuel mileage over 5w20, but on a long trip, you probably won't even notice.

That's a fairly flat drive. I've asked, partly for entertainment value, if my cross country journey over the Rockies and cruise set at 80+ requires severe oil change intervals. Because that requires higher engine load/effort. It says having a rooftop carrier is severe duty for my Toyota but most on here said climbing mountains and driving 80 into a (seems like it's always into the wind) 20+mph wind for hours on end isn't severe. Anyway, instead of 10k I'm changing at 7500 when I get to my destination because I know my 1.8L is going to be screaming if it's bucking wind at 80 and really working. But I'll still be running 0w20. And flat highway drives are very easy on a car. Especially if you aren't fighting a strong Midwest wind.

Last edited:

Forget the oil.

Good luck and Enjoy!

By "mix tape" you mean download good music to your device for when you have intermittent cell signal, right? Otherwise stream from some app? Trying to translate into 2019 for the younger generation on here...

No. Wait until a cool tune comes on the OTA radio signal. Then, record the song onto a memorex cassette making a duplicate for a buddy so others will know how good your musical tastes are. Pull the tab out of the cassette so it can't be recorded over. Come up with a classy name for the tape like MixMaster LRanger Power Mix. Then, listen to the tape in its entirety while writing the songs in order on the blank insert provided by memorex. Now enjoy, lose, and find 15 years later.

So, what did you decide ? You knew you wouldn't get any consensus in answers, right ?

(btw oil temperatures are at their highest on the interstate, most people do not know that (one just needs to measure it),

That hasn't been my observation at all in my current Corvette, or my previous two either. At highway speeds, no matter the ambient temperature, the oil temperature is always in the 185-190 degree range. As soon as I get off the highway (or a traffic jam happens and I have to endure stop and go conditions) the oil temperature will climb above 200 (and if it's a longer period of time it'll get closer to 220)

OP here : I decided I wanted a synthetic oil with a HTHS of at least 3.0 with an A5/B5 rating to address shear possibilities (PP or M1) . North Carolina can have pockets of slow interstate driving and heat . Once you hit Northern Virginia around DC to Philly the driving can be bad as well as the heat and humidity . My OM states a bit about oil weight selection based on ambient temps and long sustained driving . The winner is : M1 5W30 on rollback at WM . Is it the best choice ? That's a matter of opinion ... Is it a safe choice checking a lot of boxes ? Yes - I believe so in my case . In Nov. I'll replace with a synthetic 5W20 for my milder Georgia "winter" fill .

OP here : I decided I wanted a synthetic oil with a HTHS of at least 3.0 with an A5/B5 rating to address shear possibilities (PP or M1) . North Carolina can have pockets of slow interstate driving and heat . Once you hit Northern Virginia around DC to Philly the driving can be bad as well as the heat and humidity . My OM states a bit about oil weight selection based on ambient temps and long sustained driving . The winner is : M1 5W30 on rollback at WM . Is it the best choice ? That's a matter of opinion ... Is it a safe choice checking a lot of boxes ? Yes - I believe so in my case . In Nov. I'll replace with a synthetic 5W20 for my milder Georgia "winter" fill .

Ding 🛎ï¸ding 🛎ï¸ding...we have a winner 🥇!

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Pull the tab out of the cassette so it can't be recorded over.

Haha I remember doing that!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Pull the tab out of the cassette so it can't be recorded over.

Haha I remember doing that!

Scotch tape over the 'hole' fixed that !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back