2017 Fiesta Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really doesn't sound like the system needs to be bled if it functions perfectly in all conditions other than heavy stop and go, followed by a long, high load hill climb.

Sounds like a fan or grille/airflow deficiency with this model.

OP probably did this, but I'd be sure to put the cabin heat on full blast under these conditions until you tire of the car.

Last edited:
There was TONS of air in the system. Not sure how as no coolant lines were disconnected when we were working on the car, but I added probably a quart of coolant yesterday. No visible leaks but will be keeping a vigilant eye out just in case.

Ford has a reputation for under-filling the fluids on these cars so the fact that the coolant was low doesn't surprise me - a number of owners have reported on other forums that their coolant was up to 1" below "minimum" on a cold engine from the factory.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
It doesn't surprise me that the Fiesta has an issue with cooling, there's just no room under the hood for airflow.

If I were you, I would look into a software flash that can turn the fans on at a lower temp. It sounds like you heat soaked in traffic, and while going up a hill even with airflow the radiator couldn't remove the excess heat. I doubt it was the grade, itself, that caused it to run hot. It was heat soaked from the previous idle time.

The tuners for these cars can set the fan speeds for a much lower temp turn-on, as YES the factory (guessing for emisssions/CAFE mileage reasons) sets them at WAY TOO HIGH a temp, and then at even MORE ridiculous duty cycle percentages than even mentioned above.

The problem is that Ford WILL not honor a power train item warranty if they detect a tune has been written into the ECM, which they can tell by the draconian re-flash 'counter' feature of their ECMs.
frown.gif

Ironically, a much higher capacity aftermarket radiator (of which there are currently 3 to fit these cars) will also enable Ford to try and weasel out of said warranty, even though one is HELPING the head/head gasket/engine's longevity by doing so.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
You could install some backwards NACA carbon fibre ducts to pull hot air from under your hood.

www.aprperformance.com. NACA duct Type 2

Some who open track these cars install hood vents in the furthest back corners of the hood, just like the WRC cars have.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Miller88
Is the electric fan not working?

There WAS a fan rely recall/TSB on certain build dates for these cars, not sure if the op's falls under that or not.
21.gif

The WRC-style vents are nice and a number of people have proven that they are functional, though the best price I've found for them is about $290, not including shipping from the UK.

The fan relay/recall TSB only extends to the 2015, I believe they fixed that issue along with the revisions made to the emissions/evap system in 2016.

Last edited:
As a side note, dailydriver, how do you like the Ravenol MTF-2 in the transaxle? I'm torn between that and the BG Synchro-shift II.

Originally Posted by XanRules
As a side note, dailydriver, how do you like the Ravenol MTF-2 in the transaxle? I'm torn between that and the BG Synchro-shift II.

It is FINE, and just as silky smooth as all of it's boosters/promoters on the ST forums (I am M-Sport fan on there, if you did not deduce that already!) claim it is.
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

That being said, I may try the BG product on the next change.

Originally Posted by XanRules
The WRC-style vents are nice and a number of people have proven that they are functional, though the best price I've found for them is about $290, not including shipping from the UK.

IF I ever decide to do hood vents, I would just get the (yup, BIG $$$$) carbon/kevlar Mk7 actual WRC car, whole hood, instead of cutting up my facory steel hood.
wink.gif

Well, since burping the system, the problem hasn't come back, though it's also been much cooler this week. I'll keep an eye on it. It is interesting how low the fill of fluids is on these cars.

dailydriver - same name on those forums for me! The Ravenol is a lot cheaper than the BG but I'm on the fence.

I'm insane so cutting up my own hood seems fine. I'd hire professionals to do it, of course.

Yes, it is amazing how even a little air in the system, or a hairline low coolant level can make all of the difference in these cars, given the marginal radiator they got from the factory.
frown.gif

Eventually, I will get one of the performance aftermarket radiators.
But before I drop BIG $$$$ on the Pro Alloy unit, I want to hear that it is most definitely substantially better at dropping temps than the (also NOT exactly 'cheap') Mountune/CSF one!

Ideally, I want to do this at the same time as the upgraded intercooler on my car, so the bumper cover only has to come off ONCE, when the power train warranty is done, at which time it will also get a tune from Dizzy.
19.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Yes, it is amazing how even a little air in the system, or a hairline low coolant level can make all of the difference in these cars, given the marginal radiator they got from the factory.
frown.gif

Eventually, I will get one of the performance aftermarket radiators.
But before I drop BIG $$$$ on the Pro Alloy unit, I want to hear that it is most definitely substantially better at dropping temps than the (also NOT exactly 'cheap') Mountune/CSF one!

Ideally, I want to do this at the same time as the upgraded intercooler on my car, so the bumper cover only has to come off ONCE, when the power train warranty is done, at which time it will also get a tune from Dizzy.
19.gif
wink.gif

These cars are hit and miss on cooling . I have an X47R hybrid and in traffic in Florida heat I have no cooling problems . That front bumper is a half hour removal , super easy

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
An old, cheap trick to get hot air out from under the hood is to unbolt the rear of the hood and stick a couple washers between the hood and the hinges, just enough to open a small air gap. At speed, the airflow will push out the hot air.

Due to the high pressure zone by the windshield at speed you may actually not get any flow the way you think, it might flow into the engine bay
laugh.gif

If you look at hood vents they are usually located on the forward 1/2-3/4s of the hood, obviously the shape of the windshield and hood,bumper change this location depending on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back