Seafoam In Oil (Up To 300 Miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have now used Seafoam (1 oz. per quart of oil ) at the end of oil changes (i.e. last 200 ~ 300 miles) in all my rides with no ill affects . I use synthetic oils in all my rides at normal / shorter intervals and in every case - the oil came out darker on the dip stick (before & after) using Seafoam ... I then drained the vehicles while warm then refilled with what ever synthetic oil WM has on rollback : Pennzoil Platinum , Mobil 1 or Valvoline Advanced + Fram Ultra oil filter. Will I be using Seafoam before every oil change ? No , but for every 20K miles or so I see nothing wrong with my protocol of using Seafoam for the occasional removal of deposits that a synthetic oil may not remove . Lastly , Seafoam is available at all WM's and is relatively cheap ... Lastly , I do not use Seafoam in my gas tank (nothing wrong with doing so) - I just prefer to use a gas additive with PEA instead .

Last edited:
Yeah Seafoam is pretty much a waste in the gas, though on cars responsive to higher octane it may make it feel "peppier" for that one tank .

In this day and age, any oil sold by WM and changed within a decent interval shouldn't require any help.If the car is short tripped or towing , or drives on dirt roads or races, maybe. But for your stable...
grin2.gif

Sea Foam is about 90% oil carrier and 10% Isopropyl alcohol.

I find the only use for it is cleaning out the jets and pickup tubes of small OE engine carbs. It does a real good job of removing gum deposits.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Sea Foam is about 90% oil carrier and 10% Isopropyl alcohol.

I find the only use for it is cleaning out the jets and pickup tubes of small OE engine carbs. It does a real good job of removing gum deposits.

I found it useful for that purpose as well. I left a non-running chainsaw with SeaFoam in the carb for a week, then I had a running chainsaw.

Heh heh, I've done the same using Berryman's Chem-tool instead for 1/3 the cost. Stihl wouldnt start at end of a Sunday afternoon. Next Saturday it started first pull. Done it a few times since with other stuff. I'v taken to dosing the fuel with it for OPE carb troubles before I break out the tools. I run oily mix ,so a little solvent doesnt mess with internals.

Originally Posted by andyd
Heh heh, I've done the same using Berryman's Chem-tool instead for 1/3 the cost. Stihl wouldnt start at end of a Sunday afternoon. Next Saturday it started first pull. Done it a few times since with other stuff. I'v taken to dosing the fuel with it for OPE carb troubles before I break out the tools. I run oily mix ,so a little solvent doesnt mess with internals.
B12 is imo one of the best additives you can put in gas for carb problems in OPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back