FANFARO motor oil - newly adopted my local shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

My local auto care shop just switched from Motul to Fanfaro. They tell me it's German and is very good.

My research appears to indicate that Fanfaro is made by SCT Lubricants in Klaipeda, Lithuania.

I'm under the impression this product is being rolled out worldwide. https://www.fanfaro.de/en/products/engine-oils-for-cars-and-transporters

What bothers me is I really can't find any reviews or commentary regarding this oil. I'm curious to find out if anyone has used this oil or knows anything about it.

Thanks

_FF_6701_1_front_green_700_.jpg

Originally Posted by mazz3

I'm under the impression this product is being rolled out worldwide.

Hmmm... really not much fanfare for Fanfaro.....

crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by addyguy
Duh me, checked their website, they have API products as well.

It says " SN/CF " on the bottle

CF?? Really? That's like from the 1980's..? (maybe the early 90's)

Maybe that means it has a lot of ZDDP... before emissions controls

Their "news" page says they just rec'd API SN approval. No idea how old that story is though.... If it's recent, yeah, it's undoubtedly pretty new (maybe a couple years old as I'm sure the approval process takes a while). Would be curious what your local shop's motivation is although I'll bet cost is a big one. Of course they'll say it's good ! The German part though doesn't seem entirely accurate. Yeah, the name on the bottle is from a German company but are they just private-labeling it ?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by addyguy
Duh me, checked their website, they have API products as well.

It says " SN/CF " on the bottle

CF?? Really? That's like from the 1980's..? (maybe the early 90's)

Maybe that means it has a lot of ZDDP... before emissions controls

When I said they had API products, I meant I found 0W-20 and 5W-20 SN/GF-5 oils on their site.

Would you all put this oil in your car? Just the 5w30?

I am hesitant.

You do it first then tell us how it went.

If it's API SN then why worry?!

I am hesitant.

What is the price?

I have a hard time using anything but QSUD lately due to the price/quality ratio.

If the grade you use is SN I'm sure it will work well.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
I have a hard time using anything but QSUD lately due to the price/quality ratio.

That Lithuanian oil better have unicorn blood in it ...‚because there's some pretty darn good oils, FS & SB, for under $20.. and even better when you up it to sub $25.

I am hesitant.

How much does it cost? Since their previous "house" brand was Motul, I'm guessing it ain't cheap.

What car are you considering using it in?

They want $40 for oil change.

My car is 2009 Mazda 3 w/ 165k. Used Mobil 1 since first oil change. I've only used them once when they had Motul. I supply a Mobil 1 filter.

I guess I have to be sure they are using the API SN version and not one of the other Fanfaro oils.

I assume they are changing to lower their cost.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I am hesitant.

How much does it cost? Since their previous "house" brand was Motul, I'm guessing it ain't cheap.

What car are you considering using it in?

It's a lot cheaper than Motul in the EU - close to half the price for an equivalent spec / approval.

They want $40 for oil change.

My car is 2009 Mazda 3 w/ 165k. Used Mobil 1 since first oil change. I've only used them once when they had Motul. I supply a Mobil 1 filter.

That's cheaper than I thought. I was thinking this was some place that tries to cater to higher-end cars since their house oil was Motul. That stuff is higher than average in price, if I'm not mistaken.

Your car is probably just fine on any off-the-shelf oil too, even conventional, but I understand wanting to use a "better" oil. For $40, it's certainly worth it - not having to crawl around under the car, get dirty, dispose of the old oil, and so on.... All of the Fanfaro oils meet API SN spec too. My '08 G35X only "requires" SM spec oil. Is yours the same ?

Your car is probably just fine on any off-the-shelf oil too, even conventional, but I understand wanting to use a "better" oil. For $40, it's certainly worth it - not having to crawl around under the car, get dirty, dispose of the old oil, and so on.... All of the Fanfaro oils meet API SN spec too. My '08 G35X only "requires" SM spec oil. Is yours the same ? [/quote]

Maybe I'll try it. How would I find out about the SM spec for my 2009 Mazda 3, 2.0?

SCT is not a trustworthy brand. Cheap, low quality. Their oil filters are guarantied to have a tear after a few thousands of km. I'd stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back