Trying to Watch Chernobyl; Won’t Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
On recommendation from someone on a thread here, and a friend at work, I decided to sign up for the free 7-day HBO trial to watch the new Chernobyl miniseries.

Now I'm a little frustrated because it's not working on my TV.

I have a Panasonic TC-P50ST50 smart TV that I bought in 2012. It came loaded with several apps including YouTube, Netflix, and the Amazon Prime TV app.

I am able to access the screen for "Chernobyl", but, when I attempt to watch an episode, an error message is displayed (see attached photo).

To me, the problem seems to be the interface between Amazon Prime and HBO. I say that because some of the videos have the "Prime" logo, and some do not (see attached photo). I am able to play the videos with the "Prime" logo, but I can't play the videos that don't have the "Prime" logo (for example, I'd like to watch the "House of Saddam" miniseries, but, as shown in attached photo, it does not have the "Prime" logo, so it won't work).

Has anyone had this, or a similar problem?

I've spent an hour and a half on the phone with 2 different Amazon customer service reps, with no luck.

40CF9CF1-0F1A-49A1-9D8D-3F6AD19DBD02.jpeg

3C15360F-045B-4568-8751-CB4CECDC7FDA.jpeg

20DE9B6E-17DE-4561-8663-CA0CDCAC39CD.jpeg

Can you download the HBO app on your TV? You also might be "cast" from your phone if you can download the HBO app onto your phone.

Originally Posted by Blueskies123
Can you download the HBO app on your TV? You also might be "cast" from your phone if you can download the HBO app onto your phone.

Thanks... I'll try downloading the HBO app.

I get a similar error when my laptop is connected to a VPN, and I try to watch an Amazon video on it. Amazon won't allow VPNs or proxies, and it refuses to display a video. I assume your network setup is standard - your TV is just connected to a standard router, and the router is connected to your ISP?

And using the same Amazon account, are you able to watch Chernobyl on a laptop or desktop?

BTW, it will be worth your effort to fix it. Chernobyl is outstanding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JerryBob
I get a similar error when my laptop is connected to a VPN, and I try to watch an Amazon video on it. Amazon won't allow VPNs or proxies, and it refuses to display a video. I assume your network setup is standard - your TV is just connected to a standard router, and the router is connected to your ISP?

And using the same Amazon account, are you able to watch Chernobyl on a laptop or desktop?

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have to confess that I'm not highly computer-savvy, though I can usually get by.

Forgive the ignorance, but how would I know if I have a VPN or proxy? As far as I know, my hookup is standard - just a router connected to my ISP.

Yes - I am able to watch on my laptop. I'm also able to watch other videos on my TV through the Prime TV app, as long as they have the "Prime" logo/banner, as in the photo I attached. Notice in the 3rd photo down, the "House of Saddam" does not have the "Prime" banner, so, it won't play. However, the shows on either side *do* have the "Prime" banner, so I am able to play those.

Funny how I can watch everything I don't want to watch; I just can't see what I want to see! Isn't that just the way life works most of the time!

I did download the HBO GO app on my iPhone. No luck.

With respect to iPhone/AMazon/HBO the App is HBO Now not HBO Go. confusing
smile.gif
!

I use a $25 Chromecast bought in 2013 to stream HBO, Showtime, ESPN, Disney Jr with a iphone/xfinity account from parents. Xfinity uses HBO Go.

Your TV's streaming capability is extremely old if 2012 and may not get regular updates from TV maker.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Forgive the ignorance, but how would I know if I have a VPN or proxy? As far as I know, my hookup is standard - just a router connected to my ISP.

You would know if you were using a proxy or a VPN. You have to explicitly configure your system. I don't think that's your problem, but I don't know what it could be. I sometimes use my 55" TV as a monitor, and use an HDMI cable from the laptop, and watch movies. Maybe that's one way to get around it.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Does YouTube have it ?

Not now, it is still "too new"

Maybe in a couple years it might, though

You would know if you were using a proxy or a VPN. You have to explicitly configure your system. I don't think that's your problem, but I don't know what it could be. I sometimes use my 55" TV as a monitor, and use an HDMI cable from the laptop, and watch movies. Maybe that's one way to get around it.

I can try that. Thanks.

You have a great TV - last of the great Panasonic Plasmas! I have the same one and never us the embedded apps because you are going to run into a ton of weird issues. Panasonic isn't even in the TV biz anymore so you are really dependent on Amazon, YouTube, etc to update their apps on a platform that is increasingly rare.

My order of fixes:
1. HDMI cable from laptop. Not long term solution.
2. Roku Express ($30) which is the most popular 'app' box. You only need 1080.
3. Chromecast ($35) and can stream lots of apps from your phone or 'cast' any chrome window to your TV.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
You have a great TV - last of the great Panasonic Plasmas! I have the same one and never us the embedded apps because you are going to run into a ton of weird issues. Panasonic isn't even in the TV biz anymore so you are really dependent on Amazon, YouTube, etc to update their apps on a platform that is increasingly rare.

My order of fixes:
1. HDMI cable from laptop. Not long term solution.
2. Roku Express ($30) which is the most popular 'app' box. You only need 1080.
3. Chromecast ($35) and can stream lots of apps from your phone or 'cast' any chrome window to your TV.

Hey Steve, thanks for your post. I went with this TV back in 2012 specifically because it is plasma, and, back then, few other TVs could match its picture quality. Unfortunately, however, as you mentioned, the built-in apps have suffered from occasional to frequent wonkiness. YouTube hangs up from time to time...that is actually my most frequently-used app. It's been working lately, but in the past I've had periods of weeks or even months where it didn't work at all or didn't work smoothly.

Same story with the Netflix app, except that it rarely works at all...

Still, picture quality is great, although after 6 years of watching mostly national news channels, it has some minor burn-in at the bottom of the screen from the tickers and logos at the bottom of the screen...though this burn-in is only noticeable by me, and then only if I'm close to the screen and the screen is currently showing white or other solid color. So, not bad.

Anyway, I looked at my laptop, and it doesn't have an HDMI output. I really would like to watch Chernobyl this week during the free trial. I have a Best Buy in walking distance, so should I just get the Roku or Chromecast?

Which is better?

It sounds like going ahead and getting one of those streaming devices is my best option to avoid these continued problems with the built-in Panasonic TV apps.

Yep I have the 65" S (not ST) version.

Would definitely go with a Roku as it is a more open platform than chromecast.

My picks for what your Best Buy has:
1. Roku Express #3900R (1080p only). $30 on Roku website
2nd place tie at $40 each on Roku website.
- Roku streaming's stick #3800R. 1080p only, voice remote, better WiFi
- Roku Premiere #3920R. ( 1080/4K etc). simple remote but future proof.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
Yep I have the 65" S (not ST) version.

Would definitely go with a Roku as it is a more open platform than chromecast.

My picks for what your Best Buy has:
1. Roku Express #3900R (1080p only). $30 on Roku website
2nd place tie at $40 each on Roku website.
- Roku streaming's stick #3800R. 1080p only, voice remote, better WiFi
- Roku Premiere #3920R. ( 1080/4K etc). simple remote but future proof.

Just went to Walmart and bought the Roku Express. Thanks for the advice!

We'll see how it works!

I just finished watching the series last night and it was excellent. I did have a problem similar to yours, though.

First, as mentioned above, the app you need is HBO Now.

I have a CRT TV with RCA jacks . I'm using the Roku that has those connections. The HBO Now app works on my Roku, but it will only show the first episode of Chernobyl.

I didn't try to solve that problem, because I have Plan B--the HBO app on an old iPad. The app there gives me access to all episodes.

I can also watch shows on my computer by logging in to HBO Now through the browser, so there's Plan C. You could try this on your laptop.

I was watching Chernobyl last Saturday,
when Surry Nuclear Power Plant decided to test the Emergency Sirens...

I'm gonna need a new pair of underwear....

That reminds me to dig up my civil defense survey meter. I think it's pretty useless for everyday stuff but would probably be useful if there's ever an event like Chernobyl in the US which I doubt as only the Russians used that design. Maxes out at 500/roentgens per hour. It's a fun prop though.

Just watched the first episode. It was great!

$29 Roku worked perfectly!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Fantastic - glad to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back