Help, remove exhaust tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a cheap factory exhaust tip today. It was stuck on the old exhaust so good that we cut it off.

Now I have it home, how do I remove the tip without damaging it? I've tried to put the pipe in a vise and spray with penetrating oil, but it won't budge. Any other suggestions?

0BEBE3C1-C02D-42D0-AC47-20C88EBA02FA.jpeg

28BF75AF-4A6B-4B27-B703-CAF4DF84CB28.jpeg

The tip has a split in it already use a big screwdriver in the split and twist to spread it a little, penetrating oil and twist it out.

Originally Posted by Trav
The tip has a split in it already use a big screwdriver in the split and twist to spread it a little, penetrating oil and twist it out.

x2

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Cut the exhaust pipe right at the edge of the tip then use a sawzall or bare hacksaw blade to split the pipe inside the tip. One cut might do it.

Yep, then reach in with a needle nose and "spiral it out"

Originally Posted by old1
It almost looks like it may have been soldered on

DANG! Do you think auto makers might be doing that now???

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Cut the exhaust pipe right at the edge of the tip then use a sawzall or bare hacksaw blade to split the pipe inside the tip. One cut might do it.

Yep, then reach in with a needle nose and "spiral it out"

Originally Posted by old1
It almost looks like it may have been soldered on

DANG! Do you think auto makers might be doing that now???

It had a clamp on it

I think I'm going to have to do the above. It won't budge by prying at the splits. I just don't want to ruin the finish, so I'll have to play with it when I have more time. It has about 4" to 5" of tailpipe inside the tip, so it's going to be fun!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm determined to get that sucker off there!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
Heat the neck with a propane torch, cool the exhaust pipe with ice, might work.
Ice it first, and some quick heat.

ðŸ‘
I had to heat up a o2 sensor one time to get it to budge. It just didn't want to turn cold.

Originally Posted by K20FA5

It has about 4" to 5" of tailpipe inside the tip, so it's going to be fun!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm determined to get that sucker off there!
smile.gif

4-5 inches inside changes things. I've done it with maybe 2 inches inside. Time spent at current wage vs buying a new tip (with consideration given for the DIY satisfaction factor)...

Cut off your current pipe in the same spot, then use a union and clamps/welding to connect the whole mess.

I got it removed today. Lots of elbow grease and a bit of cursing
smile.gif

I ended up cutting off the excess pipe short, about 1" sticking out. Then clamped it in my vise and used a sawsall to cut the exhaust pipe inside the tip (like AZJeff recommended). At that point, I was able to push it out with a mallet and a screwdriver. Now to clean it up and put it on my truck!

Thanks again everyone!

Here's some pics. Thanks again everyone for the help.

I ended up cutting a few inches off the stock exhaust pipe so that I could get the tip on more. Without cutting, it was sticking out a little to far for my liking. Where it is now is great for me, just barely sticks out. Just enough to see the bow tie if you look for it.

2FFEBD66-6245-46A4-A2A3-786EF36B3584.jpeg

8521BF24-35F4-46A4-B1E9-BEE851154C46.jpeg

5D7B513E-652D-4067-82A5-7F98170259C9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back