Best Oil in Specifications for a Nissan 5.6l

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best available 0w-20 oil by it's chemical and physical properties for a Nissan Titan XD 5.6L V8 Direct Injected engine with OEM 5k OCI's?, priced up to $60 for a 5 quart jug.

I am on a Titan XD forum and this question gets asked.

I have been using ZEPRO Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0W-20SN Engine Oil - that I discussed in another thread - this oil has a good amount of moly which may help this engine because of the gears and it's camshafts are driven by two chains, one for each head plus the timing chain that transmits the rotational movement from crankshaft to the both intake and exhaust camshafts - (so in theory this engine maybe be tough on oil). This oil also has a 215 VI so it's pretty light but it has a high Noack Volatility of 14% - not great for DI's.

So all in for a Dual OHV Direct Injected (carbon deposits on the values?) V8 truck engine that is fairly tough oil what the best oil by spec's to use in the 0w-20 viscosity range? and why? is it a low Noack number, low Calcium number, low Ash number, best additive package to reduce wear...……...

I was also wondering how Amsoil SSO 0w-20 and 5w-20 would stack-up in your recommendations.

ZEPRO Eco Medalist - with Amsoil below:

I Oil.JPG

Oil.JPG

Last edited:
Supposedly Quaker Sate Ultimate Durability 0W-20 has a very impressive package?

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to run it in anything that needed a 0w-20 or 5W-20 rated oil.

2017 the oil spec for the 5.6l V8 changed went from 5w-30 to 0w-20.. This was in-line with the revamp of this engine. The previous 5.6l V-8 produced 317 hp and 385 lb.-ft of torque. The revamped 5.6l engine now produces 390 hp at 5,800 rpm and 394 lb.-ft. of torque. Nissan added direct injection that provided the majority of the power gains. They also raised the compression ratio to 11.2:1 from 9.8:1 and added variable valve event and lift with multi-control valve tech.

Last edited:
Schaeffers 0w20 looks like interesting option, SN Plus and high Moly with some Zinc - reading through the links your sent they call-out "formulated to help with chain and valve train wear" and helping with LSPI. - Noack is a bit better than what I am using - they report ash at .82% - Thank you for posting.

Here are the Spec's:

S-Oil.JPG

Last edited:
check your owners manual, a xxW30 may still be approved to keep your warranty. myself i would never use any xxW20 oils except in minnesota or alaskan winters!! i live next door in Pa + 10-30 is good to zero degrees + 5-30 will be a bit better, fake synthetic of course, real synthetic like Redline if you want the best! look at the poor HTHS of the "skinny" oils, thats the oil film thickness that protects parts, + its been noted xxW 30W oils keep chains "happier" longer

Last edited:
Zero reference to any other viscosity oil in the owners manual, from my owners manual:

Selecting the correct oil.
It is essential to choose the correct grade, quality and viscosity engine oil to ensure satisfactory engine life and performance.
For additional information, refer to "Recommended fluids/lubricants and capacities"

Recommended fluids/lubricants and capacities - Gasoline engine models:
• Genuine "Nissan Motor Oil 0W-20 SN" is recommended.
• If the above motor oil is not available, use an equivalent motor oil that matches the above grade and viscosity.

Oil viscosity
The engine oil viscosity or thickness changes with temperature. Because of this, it is important to select the engine oil viscosity based on the temperatures at which the vehicle will be operated before the next oil change. Choosing an oil viscosity other than that recommended could cause serious engine damage.

In the warranty discoursers and noted in the not covered section " any failure resulting from... use of improper or contaminated fuels, fluids or lubricants; failure to maintain proper fluid, coolant or lubricant levels; use of inferior or modified parts; modifications of the vehicle beyond the original factory specification, including installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components...."

Plus this text all in capitals " FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUCH EVIDENCE AND/OR FAILURE TO MAINTIAN THE VECHCLE IN ACCORDANCE WITH YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL MAY DISQUALIFY YOU FROM COVERAGE"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by josephp732
Zero reference to any other viscosity oil in the owners manual, from my owners manual:

Selecting the correct oil.
It is essential to choose the correct grade, quality and viscosity engine oil to ensure satisfactory engine life and performance.
For additional information, refer to "Recommended fluids/lubricants and capacities"

Recommended fluids/lubricants and capacities - Gasoline engine models:
• Genuine "Nissan Motor Oil 0W-20 SN" is recommended.
• If the above motor oil is not available, use an equivalent motor oil that matches the above grade and viscosity.

Oil viscosity
The engine oil viscosity or thickness changes with temperature. Because of this, it is important to select the engine oil viscosity based on the temperatures at which the vehicle will be operated before the next oil change. Choosing an oil viscosity other than that recommended could cause serious engine damage.

In the warranty discoursers and noted in the not covered section " any failure resulting from... use of improper or contaminated fuels, fluids or lubricants; failure to maintain proper fluid, coolant or lubricant levels; use of inferior or modified parts; modifications of the vehicle beyond the original factory specification, including installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components...."

Plus this text all in capitals " FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUCH EVIDENCE AND/OR FAILURE TO MAINTIAN THE VECHCLE IN ACCORDANCE WITH YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL MAY DISQUALIFY YOU FROM COVERAGE"

Typical owners manual garbage. This will get shredded against any warranty claim key verbage is always "may, shall, recommend" and a few more.

Originally Posted by benjy
check your owners manual, a xxW30 may still be approved to keep your warranty. myself i would never use any xxW20 oils except in minnesota or alaskan winters!! i live next door in Pa + 10-30 is good to zero degrees + 5-30 will be a bit better, fake synthetic of course, real synthetic like Redline if you want the best! look at the poor HTHS of the "skinny" oils, thats the oil film thickness that protects parts, + its been noted xxW 30W oils keep chains "happier" longer

Why do you insist a non approved anything Red Line is somehow the best?

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by benjy

Why do you insist a non approved anything Red Line is somehow the best?

Redline isnt a bad oil.
But for warranty purposes, I'd atleast find an API certified oil.

I think way to much calcium in Redline. The goal needs to be a low calcium, low ash - mitigates LSPI, high Moly/Zinc anti-wear for the gears and chains and low Noack.

Any other recommendations?

There is a possibility that the high moly and zinc of Red Line will mitigate the LSPI. Generally speaking, though, I'd recommend sticking within grade and specifications in the manual. Myself, I have gone out of spec with caution. My current fill is technically within spec for my G37, although I'd be sorely tempted to use it in any newer Nissan or Infiniti, too, but that's just me.

Just an aside for other Nissan and Infiniti owners, I did some looking through some FSMs recently, and at least until around 2006 or 2007, more viscosities were allowed in the FSM than shown in the OM. For one 2006 FSM I was looking at, 40 grades were still listed as acceptable, whereas the corresponding OM listed only the 5w-30. I don't know if that trend disappeared permanently or reappeared when 0w-20 was phased in.

Originally Posted by josephp732

Oil viscosity

The part in red sounds like they are talking about different recommended viscosities based on ambient temperatures. Probably left over language before they specified only 0W-20.

"Because of this, it is important to select the engine oil viscosity based on the temperatures at which the vehicle will be operated before the next oil change"

Same wording in my 2019 Nissan Frontier V6 manual. Spec for 5w/30 SN. After the free dealership oil changes I am going Havoline Pro DS 10/30 all year round at 5K . No DI or turbo to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back