Toyota Venza Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
All our toyotas were not reliable. Yes you could keep them running - but for a price.

Toyota quality was in the 70's and 80's.

Our Subaru have NO problems with struts or wheel bearings or brakes or any power accessories.

Just a headlight bulb now and then.

Regardless, I've always thought the Venza was an overlooked car.

Once you make a sedan a 5 door you just boosted family usefullness by 200%

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by 14Accent
As nice as the 3.5 is, I would stick to the 2.7 if you aren't driving loaded. It's raspy, yes, but it's a torquey long-stroke 4 banger. The 3.5 is no picnic to work on, believe me. I would rather let a Toyota 4-cylinder stretch it's legs and work for it's worth than wrench on a 3.5 in the same chassis. Keep good oil in it and you'll be fine.

As far as driving, it really is just a tall, fat Camry fresh from the buffet. They are quiet and comfortable, I'll admit.

01.gif

01.gif

They should have never stopped makin it.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Danno
I have a 2009 Venza V6 AWD, wife's car. It was ordered before they hit the dealer's lots when it was launched.
60,000 miles on it..

Had to change:
2 wheel speed sensors - $600
Rear Hub carrier - $800
All 4 struts - $1600
Parking brake mechanism - $500, yes, wifey uses it all the time, it just stopped holding.
Rear sway bar bushings - $30, did those myself. Had to remove 3 layers of stuff to get to them. Really convoluted.
All out of warranty.
Tires were $1000 - and I have dedicated snows on steel rims.
Brakes were $1000
All serviced at the dealer - maybe over priced but whatever...

If I wrote that about VW or BMW, we would have 6 pages of: I told you so...
Since it is Toyota, it is "normal" wear and tear.

I agree with you here. While so-so for 10 years of ownership, that's a terrible record for only 60K miles.

The struts have me wondering, though, why? Wanted a sportier ride? I've never heard complaints about early strut death on any Toyota.

FWD will have huge torque steer.

You keep saying this, over and over again in many threads, but you're flat-out wrong. I can accelerate hard with my hands off the wheel of my V6 Camry, and it goes straight.

Wheelspin can bring lateral movement, but that's not torque steer.

If you're going to keep ranting, at least get your terminology correct.

Originally Posted by HangFire

The struts have me wondering, though, why? Wanted a sportier ride? I've never heard complaints about early strut death on any Toyota.

Our 2005 Rav4 surprisingly blew its rear shocks at 3 years 56K. It did have a few -25C commutes
Also water pump seal . Too cold blooded for a SUV in New England I suppose.

Originally Posted by talest
They should have never stopped makin it.

Year after year sales went down while Camry's sales were going up.

Generally if any car sells 100K or more a year, it will stay in production until safety, emissions and/or CAFE forces a redesign or discontinuance. Venza's are a little hard to judge because they are a Camry variant, and so enjoys some leeway on that number, but when sales consistently dropped from 50K to 20K per year, there was really no other decision than to discontinue it.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/toyota-venza-sales-figures/

While shopping for the used car that turned out to be my 39.3K mile 2010 Camry a few months ago, I shopped used Venza's but the prices were outrageous and the selection was lower than the sales figures would indicate. Usually this indicates strong owner loyalty, but may have been just a regional or momentary availability issue.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Our 2005 Rav4 surprisingly blew its rear shocks at 3 years 56K. It did have a few -25C commutes

Disappointing, and you may be entirely correct about the cold weather aspect. At least shocks are cheaper/easier to replace than rear struts.

Meanwhile my 2010 Corolla rocks on at 194K miles with the 4 original struts, and everything else except the AUX jack. I'm sure it'll need something soon at that mileage, but I can't complain.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Disappointing, and you may be entirely correct about the cold weather aspect. At least shocks are cheaper/easier to replace than rear struts.

Meanwhile my 2010 Corolla rocks on at 194K miles with the 4 original struts, and everything else except the AUX jack. I'm sure it'll need something soon at that mileage, but I can't complain.

I replaced the shocks on my 07 Corolla at under 100k miles. Car had 1 shock that was bad at the time but Id say its caused by bad roads here in Montreal and nothing else.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
As nice as the 3.5 is, I would stick to the 2.7 if you aren't driving loaded. It's raspy, yes, but it's a torquey long-stroke 4 banger. The 3.5 is no picnic to work on, believe me. I would rather let a Toyota 4-cylinder stretch it's legs and work for it's worth than wrench on a 3.5 in the same chassis. Keep good oil in it and you'll be fine.

As far as driving, it really is just a tall, fat Camry fresh from the buffet. They are quiet and comfortable, I'll admit.

+1, same here and I'd go the FWD version. Available in the LE and XLE trim levels.

I have a 2009 Venza V6 AWD, wife's car. It was ordered before they hit the dealer's lots when it was launched.
60,000 miles on it..

Had to change:
Rear Hub carrier - $800
All 4 struts - $1600
Parking brake mechanism - $500, yes, wifey uses it all the time, it just stopped holding.
Rear sway bar bushings - $30, did those myself. Had to remove 3 layers of stuff to get to them. Really convoluted.
All out of warranty.
Brakes were $1000

I agree with you here. While so-so for 10 years of ownership, that's a terrible record for only 60K miles.

The struts were leaking, badly. Suspension crashed over bumps.
Our roads are terrible though. And all the miles were short tripped in town.

With all due respect to 4 banger fans, I always have always picked the V-6 over a four cylinder. ( this comment doesn't apply to turbos). Only issue I had was having to change plugs once per engine, which took an extra hour. Give me the horsepower.
laugh.gif

You keep saying this, over and over again in many threads, but you're flat-out wrong. I can accelerate hard with my hands off the wheel of my V6 Camry, and it goes straight.

My AWD Sienna is having torque steer and it ain't gonna go straight if you let go steering wheel. No Toyota is going in strait line even when you develop speed. So please....
I know very well what is torque steer.

Last edited:
60,000 miles on it..

Had to change:
Rear Hub carrier - $800
All 4 struts - $1600
All out of warranty.
Brakes were $1000

I agree, that's awful. Not that I'd be shopping one, but that'd be enough for me to think it was the worst car I had owned.

My AWD Sienna is having torque steer and it ain't gonna go straight if you let go steering wheel. No Toyota is going in strait line even when you develop speed. So please....

None of my 3 Toyota's have torque steer.
21.gif

Originally Posted by supton
60,000 miles on it..

Had to change:
Rear Hub carrier - $800
All 4 struts - $1600
All out of warranty.
Brakes were $1000

I agree, that's awful. Not that I'd be shopping one, but that'd be enough for me to think it was the worst car I had owned.

21.gif

Invoking that Tundra does not have torque steer makes me think do you actually know what it is?
And 4cyl Toyota's are usually fire breathing engines on par with best 4cyl engines from makes such as Alfa Romeo.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I have found it to be more prevalent in higher HP FWD …
You will not have to read far to see it mentioned:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a14517937/2018-toyota-camry-xse-v-6-test-review/

Of course it does. I owned Peugeot 508 GT with 2.2 twin turbo diesel. It had some 330lb-ft at some 1800rpm. Holy moly how that thing accelerates under full throttle, you need 3 lanes to get to 60.

21.gif

Invoking that Tundra does not have torque steer makes me think do you actually know what it is?
And 4cyl Toyota's are usually fire breathing engines on par with best 4cyl engines from makes such as Alfa Romeo.[/quote]
You said "no Toyota". Makes me think either you do not know of RWD and lo po Toyota--or that you exaggerated and cannot be taken seriously.

You have an alignment issue, get your minivan fixed.

And no, you cannot project your version of Toyota "reality" over the facts of my vehicle.

You have an alignment issue, get your minivan fixed.

And no, you cannot project your version of Toyota "reality" over the facts of my vehicle.

LOL, no I do not have alignment issue.
And yes, Toyota V6 will have excessive torque steer, Camry, Venza, Avalon etc. it does not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back