Best oil for pre-emissions mechanical diesels? CK4 showing high wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, it has Delo 400 XLE 15w40 in the case. We're gonna let it ride for a month or two and pull a sample. Planning on switching over to Mystik JT-8 at that point as we can get it locally for a decent price (and meets the F1 standard)

Huh,,,, maybe Ford was on to something when they first announced wear issues with new CK-4 oils.... everyone was so quick to jump on the BS bandwagon and not realize there might have been some actual facts backing their initial stance! I'll side with the team of multi-million dollar engineers from ford over guys on BITOG any day, no offense fellas
wink.gif

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Huh,,,, maybe Ford was on to something when they first announced wear issues with new CK-4 oils.... everyone was so quick to jump on the BS bandwagon and not realize there might have been some actual facts backing their initial stance! I'll side with the team of multi-million dollar engineers from ford over guys on BITOG any day, no offense fellas
wink.gif

Or there is a coolant leak that is slowly destroying the bearings, crankshaft, and other moving parts.

wink.gif

The oils were designed by engineers, not ordinary BITOGers. Also, Ford has a panic over diesel specs ever few years. It's just something they seem to like to do. They did it recently. They did it around 1998. They did it around 1984. So, about every 15 years or so, Ford essentially goes on a big marketing campaign to sell Motorcraft oil.

To the OP, Dave Newton made good suggestions. The 15w-40 should be fine, too.

Originally Posted by Garak
The oils were designed by engineers, not ordinary BITOGers. Also, Ford has a panic over diesel specs ever few years. It's just something they seem to like to do. They did it recently. They did it around 1998. They did it around 1984. So, about every 15 years or so, Ford essentially goes on a big marketing campaign to sell Motorcraft oil.

How do you think this is a marketing campaign to sell motorcraft oil? They have a list of hundreds of competitors that meet spec. About the only thing that doesn't meet spec is Delo.

Originally Posted by BillyE
Originally Posted by Garak

How do you think this is a marketing campaign to sell motorcraft oil? They have a list of hundreds of competitors that meet spec. About the only thing that doesn't meet spec is Delo.

And Motorcraft 5w40 wasn't even on the approved list for the first year or so. Ford certainly didn't do it to sell Motorcraft oil.

I now have 984,000+ miles on the factory reman of my Detroit 60 pre-emission. All original. It has gotten CK rated oil from the time that Schaeffer first offered it. Wear numbers are virtually unchanged from when the engine had only 40K miles on the reman and still uses oil at the same rate as it has its entire time with me... about 1 qt per 11,000 miles. Last oil change, at 978,415 miles, 21156 hrs, with 22,693 miles / 491 hrs on the oil, the Iron was 16, Lead 6, Chrome 1, Copper 1, Tin 0, Aluminum 3.

The oil change intervals are 50% longer than the OEM recommended drain interval of 15,000 miles / 300 hours.

Oh.... and it has gotten 10w30 in winter and 15w40 in summer. CJ-4 initially then CK-4 when it showed up. Schaeffer syn blend. Both of which are on the Ford approved list if that matters to anyone. Even during all the controversy about CK-4 and Ford, the Schaeffer CK-4 made the approved list with Ford.

Probably should add... the add pack showed Boron 26, Moly 72, Calcium 2010, Phosphorous 1238, and Zinc 1016 on the UOA.

Traveller 15w40 has the Ford approval and is regularly $25 for a 2.5 gallon jug. They run it on sale sometimes for $20. That's what I'm using on my dads LML Duramax right now. The last oil change on it cost $28, you can't beat that.
His LML doesn't tick on the Traveller or Delo CK-4 but ticks really loud on Delvac 1300.

The Traveller is CK-4 only and the Delo is CK-4/SN.

Last edited:
Run it until it stops running IMO. The cylinders on the IDI are very soft and the blocks cannot be bored. They are too thin. It's likey that's the source of your iron. I've had a couple apart and they had a massive lip between where the piston traveled and the ridge on the cylinders. Easily 0.030" bore wear. You're better off with a 6.9 block and boring it to a 7.3. Good luck and I hope you find a lube that can make it live longer.

Last edited:
Can the 7.3 IDI blocks be sleeved? I seem to recall reading that Ford (or another rebuilder) was sleeving & reboring them. I'm lucky that my 7.3 IDI is actually a FoMoCo factory reman engine, that might be why it's been hanging in there, although the whole truck only has around 135K on it. If the OP uses a 6.9, head studs would be a good move, believe they had smaller diameter head bolts than a 7.3.

They can't be sleeved and stay reliable. The sleeves walk in the bores.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Can the 7.3 IDI blocks be sleeved? I seem to recall reading that Ford (or another rebuilder) was sleeving & reboring them. I'm lucky that my 7.3 IDI is actually a FoMoCo factory reman engine, that might be why it's been hanging in there, although the whole truck only has around 135K on it. If the OP uses a 6.9, head studs would be a good move, believe they had smaller diameter head bolts than a 7.3.

Yea 7.3 have the cavitation issue if you don't stay up on the coolant SCA'S. 6.9's can get a leaky or blown head gasket as you mentioned due to the smaller headbolts and studs are certainly a good idea when you need to replace the head gaskets or want to add a turbo.

Originally Posted by claluja
And Motorcraft 5w40 wasn't even on the approved list for the first year or so. Ford certainly didn't do it to sell Motorcraft oil.

If Motorcraft were actually unacceptable for use or simply not on the list, do you mean to tell me Ford turned away oil change business or brought in something on the list? They've played this game before, using innuendo and playing word games to seed doubt about the competition. This is their third go around and I'm not biting.

With reference to Delo being one of the few not on the list, a fair bit of the Mobil line isn't on the list, either. I wonder how that plays out up here.

wink.gif

Are these the same people who spec'd 5w20 in some of the first gen Ecoboosts? Lol.

Yes, and the same people who played the anti-foam game with the first Powerstroke 7.3s, and the same ones that claimed dual rated engine oils were a problem in the early 1980s for their gasoline trucks, before catalytic converters were even on the things.

mobile and philips 66 are producing CI oils again.
i used the moble MXf2 this last round it's holding up well. it what i run in the 12V and the 04.

Originally Posted by Killer223
mobile and philips 66 are producing CI oils again.
i used the moble MXf2 this last round it's holding up well. it what i run in the 12V and the 04.

Where did you see this? This'd be a good thing I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back